...hurts like hell. Maybe I've been holding the neck wrong these past 6 months. Any suggestions?
Nail it to the door with your friendly neighbourhood nail gun and then leave to simmer for 30 minutes...

On subject, just don't play through pain.
Quote by bjoern_swe
my mom found me sitting in the kitchen, eating Corn Flakes from the floor. when she asked me what I was doing, I just roared at her and ran up to my room.

George Foreman Grill Appreciation Society
my thumb used to hurt and i always had it to the left of the notes i was playing.. but then after a year it stopped hurting.
My Gear:
Epiphone SG
Vintage SG
Stagg Strat (With replaced hardware and a Duncan Invader )
Hohner Strat
No name Acoustic
Jim Dunlop Crybaby
Boss MT-2
Boss DS-1
Roland Cube 60
Wires and patch cords and stuff..
Quote by Brainwash
We can help you with such a vague explaination how?

Vague explanation? What the ****?
I play, and my left thumb starts hurting?
Are you asking me to send nude pics or something?
Quote by oioi77oioi

I play, and my left thumb starts hurting?

Would common sense not tell you to either stop playing until the pain leaves, or hold the guitar differently?
Mine did that too...it hurts really bad....um...do hand warm-ups..? I guess, idk. I crack my knuckles before I start, and that stops the pain somewhat.
Maybe your overplaying?
How do you hold your thumb when you play?
"Insecticon" of the Predacons Beast Wars Club
PM NightmareXT To Join!

You make me feel
Like a dog, you can see, my emotions
Is this for real, i'm a man
Sinking deep, in the ocean
what people say is correct techinique is to have your thumb behind the neck and behind about the g string all the time, except for when bending and doing a vibrato.
I went through this about 5 months or so into my playing actually, especially while doing a lot of barre chords. I don't think its too much to be concerned about unless it hurts every day when you wake up and pick up the guitar. I think eventually your thumb will adapt and get stronger to support movements with more pressure.

as far as holding the neck 'wrong' that's an issue of comfort IMO, if it feels natural to you the way you were holding it, i'm sure its fine, everyones hands are different :p If you know you aren't holding it naturally, then try to work something in that feels less pressuring on your hand....but the human body is pretty much configured to naturally assume the least pressuring positions...so unless ur trying REALLY hard to hold it in some odd way, you should be fine.

if your wrist starts hurting on the other hand, then that would be something to worry about :p I say just give this thumb thing a couple of weeks and it should go away...if not then see a doctor in the worst case:/
Last edited by l1kel1ke at Jul 9, 2006,
i have a small callous sort of on the left thumb at the bottom where I press against neck when I play...this happens after playing songs requireing lots of moving from high to low octaves etc....not hard but just fun songs to play and gets u to hurt and eventually the pain stops...same for ur left fingers
<< ESP LTD Deluxe H-1000 w/EMGs
<< Ibanez RG220b
<< BOSS ME-50 & DS-1
<< Crate MX65R 60 WATTS
<< Ibanez IBZ10G 10 WATTS
<< Dunlop Tortex 88mm
<< KOSS PRO3AA Headphones