I've got a summer project in mind - and yeah, it's building a guitar.
I'll attach a rough picture of the guitar.

Basically, the top 3/4 " will be walnut, and the bottom 1" would be mahogany.
The attached picture shows a humbucker and singles, but I'm considering P90, maybe P90/Single/P90.

Probably concentric pots.
Back contour like a Strat, floating tremelo. I want to do a bolt on, and I like gibson necks, so I'll probly just buy one for it.

Concerns:

What do you guys think about the pick up selection?

Also, do you think there will be any problems with neck strength at the joint? Do you think I'd have to raise one side of the body at the neck pocket so that there would be more support? Also I wanted it to be a bolt-on neck.

Anyone know where I can buy a relatively inexpensive neck, preferably Gibson-style that's bolt-on?

Another concern of mine is that I wanted to put on a gibson neck, but I believe Gibson necks are angled a bit differently than fender's, which are straight. Is that right?

Anyone recommend a good tremelo for a floating tremelo setup? I was thinking Wilkinson...

Umm...Just let me know if you think it'll work, and also any tips or information. Ask any questions you have.
Last edited by forsaknazrael at Jul 9, 2006,
It looks very nice, I'm pretty sure it'll work, and i like the pickguard.

When will you start the building process ?
That sketch looks sweet! Are you going to paint it red? (I hope you do.) Perhaps you could put the input jack on the side (like on a Les Paul)..? I don't know.
Well, I was gonna have a guy do the basic routing (pickup, electronics, neck pocket) for me for like 70 bucks, cause I can't do that.
Don't got the tools.
Shaping would be fun, though, and I could do that.

I'd like to put the input jack on the side, but because someone else is doing the routing, it might be a little moee difficult.

As for the paint job, I wanted to have a red tinted finish, so you could see the wood grain. Makes me think of PRS.

What do you guys think about the pick up selection?
Also, do you think there will be any problems with neck strength at the joint? Do you think I'd have to raise one side of the body at the neck pocket so that there would be more support?

Another concern of mine is that I wanted to put on a gibson neck, but I believe Gibson necks are angled a bit differently than fender's, which are straight. Is that right?

As for when I start the building process - Probably not until August, after I move.
Maybe earlier, after a paycheck or two.

Anyone recommend a good tremelo for a floating tremelo setup? I was thinking Wilkinson...
Yeah, but I don't enjoy the idea of a locking nut. I change tunings and stuff.
I'll be using Sperzel Locking Tuners, so do I need a locking nut?
reminds me of a parker mixed with an sg...and i love the looks of those guitars,and ur sketch, hope u make it, if so...i want one...
What new friends will the day bring?

Private in the 7>6

[Member of the Ibanez S Players.] PM Striketalonx to join
maybe using a standard fender strat tremolo could work for you.....
and I am not sure about the locking nut but I think you don't need it
Quote by punkMETALskater
reminds me of a parker mixed with an sg...and i love the looks of those guitars,and ur sketch, hope u make it, if so...i want one...

yeah, i love my SG, but I used to have a strat...and I want the best of both worlds,
basically.
The Look and reacharound of an SG and the feel and tremelo of a Strat.

I was considering just the standard fender one, too...Not sure just yet...
Quote by UniverseZero
floyd rose, but they are expensive unless you buy second hand

Not if you get them at guitarfetish.com $60 for a new floyd rose
Quote by spazzymagee417
i would pay more for a midget corpse than an average size corpse
yeah but that isnt a real Floyd Rose Original - its a lisenced copy.
Guitars
Ibanez Prestige RG1570 w/ Swineys
Fender Standard Telecaster w/ Duncans
Ibanez RGT42DXFX w/ EMG

Amp
Behringer 15W Amp

Effects
Dunlop 535Q Wah
Zvex Fuzz Factory
Quote by forsaknazrael
yeah, i love my SG, but I used to have a strat...and I want the best of both worlds,
basically.
The Look and reacharound of an SG and the feel and tremelo of a Strat.

I was considering just the standard fender one, too...Not sure just yet...

this is off topic but made me laugh my ass off. you said reach-around. sorry back on point now. dude i live the look of that body. the pickguard looks sweet on it but with the input jack on the front it does look really cluttered. just my opinion tho.
Du Hast Meche

Member 21 of "I Survived UG Pwn Day"

Quote by HugoMadizon
What is a pup?

Quote by azn_guitarist25
sir, are you a retard.
no, i can see where you're coming from.
i'm considering it, just trying to think how it would work out...

I guess I could just make the side jack by myself, rather than have the guy rout that, too.
if you use a side mount jack its basically just drilling a hole in the side with a spade bit. its actually pretty easy
Du Hast Meche

Quote by HugoMadizon
What is a pup?

Quote by azn_guitarist25
sir, are you a retard.
Right, I just wouldn't have drill a jack at all, and just rout the electronics cavity. Then I'd cut the guitar myself and once finished, I'd drill the jack hole.
yeah. i think this will be a kick ass guitar. i cant wait to see the finished product.
Du Hast Meche

Quote by HugoMadizon
What is a pup?

Quote by azn_guitarist25
sir, are you a retard.
Thanks, I'll post pics as soon as I get everything squared away, and get to work on it, after I move, at the beginning of August, probably.

I'm also considering adding a preamp, to boost mids and high frequencies...Not sure yet.