Ok...feel free to bash me on this but I don't really understand why people need to spend $200+ on pickups over their stock pickups. I mean are stock pickups that bad? Isn't tone subjective anyway? So I just don't see how it can make such a discernable tone. IMO, 90% of the tone comes from the amp, not the pickups. And I'm pretty sure that all the legendary 60s guitarists used stock pickups (Hendrix, Clapton, Beck, Page, Blackmore), as well as SRV, before the advent of such companies as dimarzio or seymour duncan or lace sensors (which clapton/beck uses now). back then, the only source of tone was the sound of a strat or les paul through a tube amp. maybe a fuzz or a wah here and there, but that was the source of tone for those 60s rock classics. My end point is, why do people feel the need to change their pickups over their stock pickups, and does it really affect tone that much? wouldn't a strat + a metal master = a strat + emg's? comment

P.S: My strat has the stock alnico V pickups and (to my ears anyways) they sound equal or even better than a strat with texas specials or lace sensors.
i just swapped out the stock epi pickups on my les paul for some bareknuckle p'90s and they sound so much better. i wanted a tone that the humbuckers couldnt give me, but p90's could so yeah i can see the point of it. i wouldn't really say tone is subjective either, maybe to someone who doesnt play guitar but to anyone with a releative amount of experience different tonal qualities shouldnt be to hard to hear
My Musical attempts

My youtube music channel

Quote by TOMMYB22
Dammit, beaten to it, and by someone with the same name

CURSE YOU TOMMYT!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote by daeqwon10000
I hate tommyt and the high horse which he rides upon
Would a guy that plays blues use highout put metal pickups? Would a guy that likes high gain shred use vintage pups(yes i know yngwie. does...). Would a jazz guy use super muddy distortion pups?

With an exception to high-end guitars, OEM pickups usually suck the big one.
Ibanez -> Peavey -> Eardrums

Apparently I'm on some list of people to listen to..?
the artists you were talking about played guitars from the 60s those who didnt use strats used guitars whose stock pickups were much better than those of today like PAFs and what not thats why they didnt switch them out and people are now so they can get the old vintage tone. . .and all single coils sound just about the same to me
setup:
Jackson ke-3
Peavey supreme 100

Quote by Archaon
if I ever see a greenday kid throwing up the horns while listening to greenday, I'm going to have to kick his ass. I'm not saying they shouldn't be allowed to throw up the horns, just not to greenday.
Quote by Flyingmojo
the artists you were talking about played guitars from the 60s those who didnt use strats used guitars whose stock pickups were much better than those of today like PAFs and what not thats why they didnt switch them out and people are now so they can get the old vintage tone. . .and all single coils sound just about the same to me

The vintage tone, i believe, comes from handwired pickups? Like the ones bareknuckle and lindy fralin, and boutique makers today uses. If that is true, then I don't know how the fender custom shop can achieve those tones using machines. Also, CBS took over fender in 64, meaning that strats made after 64 were machine-calibrated pickups. and didn't jimi use a '68 strat? which means he didn't use handwired pickups and still managed to have good tone? just my opinion.
Quote by Gofishus
The vintage tone, i believe, comes from handwired pickups? Like the ones bareknuckle and lindy fralin, and boutique makers today uses. If that is true, then I don't know how the fender custom shop can achieve those tones using machines. Also, CBS took over fender in 64, meaning that strats made after 64 were machine-calibrated pickups. and didn't jimi use a '68 strat? which means he didn't use handwired pickups and still managed to have good tone? just my opinion.

its more to do with the magnets and wire used
My Musical attempts

My youtube music channel

Quote by TOMMYB22
Dammit, beaten to it, and by someone with the same name

CURSE YOU TOMMYT!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote by daeqwon10000
I hate tommyt and the high horse which he rides upon
Alright, first, back in the day the material and the techniques they used were the absolute best at the time, the best was all they had. Today, stock pickups on most guitars are made in a slightly less prudent way, mass production is to blame on most accounts. Stock pickups are just fine if they sound good, I mean, if it ain't broke don't fix it. But, after market pickups can add a whole lot to your sound. I recently swapped the stock pickups in my flying V from gibson with burst bucker pros and there is most deffinately a differenc. The sound is thicker fatter and more raunchy. I also did the same to my SG with '57 classics and it had the same effect. Some pickups are superior to others and most deffinately the aftermarkets kick the crap out of stock, especially on economy guitars like mexi strats or epi LP's. So, check it out, new pickups could open a whole new world of sound to you.

Hudson "redchops" Handel
The reason that all those artists kept their stock pick-ups is because they were GOOD stcok pick-ups, fender and gibson types, if you have a squier and keep the stock pick-ups very bad, if you have a squier and completly revamp it (or throw it away) thats good
Also, I wouldn't say that artists back in the day had phenomenal tone...

Their tone just worked in the context of their music. Try imagining a Beck or Jimi tone in a heavy metal song. It just doesn't work.

Aftermarket pickups nowadays help you sculpt your sound to suit your needs.

Check out Santana of the 60's and the Carlos Santana of today; his tone back then sounds bad if you compare it to his tone now, and that's a combination of (mostly) new amps, but he also plays a guitar with pickups that are totally different than his old SG.

The pickups are necessary if you want the best in tone, otherwise you can do with stock.
Every atom belonging to me as good belongs to you
Well the fact you think 90% comes from your amp is a sign of definitive ignorance. I stopped reading right there.
No pick up sounds better than any other, it simply sounds different. It's all a prefrence. Those guys you mentioned probably picked the guitar they chose because they prefered the sound of it, or didn't care.
Quote by RHCP94
It's an option for the "Which one of E Daws parents are uglier?" thread.
you change the pickups to modify your tone. You don't play thrash metal with single coils, you play it with EMGs. its for situations like that, like you want to buy an Strat kuz you liek the feel or the look of it, but you want to play thrash metal. so you put EMGs in it instead of single coils. pesonally i wouldnt want an Strat with EMGs in it because i dont play very much metal. i dont even know if people put EMGs in strats, but w/e its just an example...

my point is different pickups give different tones. sure its not as huge as getting a different amp or w/e, but it does make a difference. I cant really explain why, its just something you have to try to be able to see the difference

Also, todays stock pickups usually arent that great because companies don't want to put nicer, more expensive pickups in their guitars; they want you to buy them separately kuz they want you to pay for the nicer pickups instead of them having to pay the pickup company to be able to have them in their guitars.

EDIT:

Quote by Ihearthetfield
Well the fact you think 90% comes from your amp is a sign of definitive ignorance. I stopped reading right there.

um the fact that youre disagreeing with that statement is a sign of definitive ignorance. it may not quite be 90%, but it is a rather large percentage
Proud owner of a Gibby LP Custom and an all-original Vintage '62 Fender Jag

Quote by richwatkinson
Give 10 UGers a rope and ask them to pull. 4 will push, 1 will ask for buttsecks, 2 will tell you get an Ibanez and the last 3 will start complaining about Line6 Spiders.
Last edited by ScreaminBlues25 at Jul 8, 2006,