Page 1 of 2
this may be the wrong place on the forum, but I am asking every net musician i can the following question:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have been planning on leaving the Jacksonville Florida area since I got here in '84. However, having kids here made it impossible. Some things have happened over the last couple years and I am able to leave now.

I am really unsure as to where I want to go. I have considered Ohio (my girl has family in Cincinatti) and other areas such as Pennsylvania, where my family owns much land, Buffalo, etc...

I have not really narrowed my list yet so anything not directly on the west coast and not in Florida, Texas, Alabama, Mississippi, or any other south east state is an option at this point.

One thing I hate about Jax is our piss poor music scene. We have a lack of venues here and support among the civillian population (non musicians coming to shows) is minimal at best. Most local bands here are southern/classic rock cover bands or death metal bands, two genres of music i simply cannot be bothered with. We are known as a last minute walkup town so we often miss out on some great tours here.

What is the music scene like where you are? What type of venues are available? What types of music are currently flourishing in your city? Do you have a major jazz/fusion scene? What cultural environment exists where you are?

Also, unrelated to my question but vital to my decision as to where to go, what is the job market like? Especially in the I.T. area. Lastly, what do you hate about your city? Crime? Polution? Overpopulation.

This is a serious question and I am obviously researching other sources of info, but I wish to hear personal perspective from other gigging/recording musicians.

Any info about your city's music scene is greatly appreciated.
The music scene in my city is awful.

I live in Carmel, Indiana, and I only know of one "venue", and the only bands they have here are emo or screamo.

The job market is decent, because we're only a couple of miles away from Indianapolis. Indianapolis, like any large city, however, has problems with crime. There are also bad drivers throughout the area, and some in Carmel. I haven't seen that many major problems in Carmel, except a lot of people I know tell me the police are too uptight.
My music scene sucks.I live in central Jersey, most of the bands are only cover bands including probably the most famous band in my area called Freak. None of the bands around play any original stuff, only covers, there's also this corny Bon Jovi cover band(Bon Jovi is very famous in Jersey, obviously). Probably the greatest music acomplishments that came out of Jersey are Bon Jovi and Zakk Wylde, and Bruce Springsteen(which I'm not too fond of).

I live on the borderline of Hamilton/Trenton and Trenton is not the greatest city in the world. Pollution here is horrible and the crime rate has gotten better over the past few years, but is still really high. And of course, Jersey is known to be the home of the most dangerous city in America, Camden. I've been to Camden once, and I'll never go back. We have many cultures here in Jersey, mostly Asians.

Wow, this is probably the most I've ever written in a forum. Overall, don't come to Jersey, it sucks. I'd recommend going to PA, Philadelphia has a great Jazz scene. Hope I helped.
I live in Columbus, OH.

We have a dilemma. We have a lot of great bars and venues popping up all over the city, just no exposure or support from any local radio stations or newspapers, no labels, and only a few good bands that leave the scene quickly after conquering it.

I see a lot of musicians around. Just gotta get out there. But that's all there is.

EDIT: Oh yeah, it doesn't help to have the stigma of "the city where a guy got shot and killed onstage"
Last edited by pratt121 at Jul 8, 2006,
I live in the suburbs north of Detroit, and I kinda like the music scene around here. Most hardcore shows come around Detroit. The venues I enjoy going to are Harpos (bad part of town, mostly metal), St Andrews (most hardcore shows are here, right in the city), and Alvins (small bar, not the best part of town, but the lesser popular bands play here).

Most the kids have grasped the hardcore genre, and that's what most local music is in the town of Romeo I live in. While it's all mostly the same, not that great, and I wouldn't pay a buck to go to shows out in Romeo by the guys my age, I'm happy they're not playing emo, or indy, or pop-rock.

While it would be nice to see some variety out in the small towns, I usually just rely on Detroit for a good show.
Quote by btbam8614
I live in the suburbs north of Detroit, and I kinda like the music scene around here. Most hardcore shows come around Detroit. The venues I enjoy going to are Harpos (bad part of town, mostly metal), St Andrews (most hardcore shows are here, right in the city), and Alvins (small bar, not the best part of town, but the lesser popular bands play here).

Most the kids have grasped the hardcore genre, and that's what most local music is in the town of Romeo I live in. While it's all mostly the same, not that great, and I wouldn't pay a buck to go to shows out in Romeo by the guys my age, I'm happy they're not playing emo, or indy, or pop-rock.

While it would be nice to see some variety out in the small towns, I usually just rely on Detroit for a good show.

I also live in the suburbs of Detroit, closer to it than Romeo. The music "scene" seems pretty good here, theres always shows of every kind going on at least every other day it seems. As for a " major Jazz/Fusion" type scene.. I don't think there is one. I don't think there is one anywhere. Some clubs are around Detroit I know that are like jazz and things like that.. something you might hear at a festival downtown though just playing on a street corner.
Maybe a city like, Seattle or New York, Philadelphia, might have better luck with that type of music.

i live in Wednesbury (near West Bromwich AKA chav/wigger central to those who've ever been there) in the UK. our music scene sucks...all damn MCs/rappers/urban culture mainly...but in some other towns and cities near me (Wolverhampton, Birmingham, Walsall, Dudley) there's an immense rock culture
As another from Ohio. I agree with pratt121. exposure like that can be pretty tough, but I've noticed the crowds that come to the shows are always energetic and it can make ya feel like you are some of your heroes at times. A lot of the Local artists are pretty good about supporting each other and plugging other bands to their fan base. We do have a pretty cool radio station maybe and hour or so from where I am though. They are hard rock/metal station based out of Huntington, WV, but they actually have a spot in their broadcast dedicated to local bands around WV,OH, KY, and PA. They play demo's and give Bio's as well as contact info on local bands in those areas. I've met a lot of other bands through shows they put on.
Quote by Shredlet
Cheers Sinister that was really helpful a Dime-point to you!

"Any problem you can't solve with a good guitar, is either, unsolvable or isn't a problem."
I live in RI. There's harcore/metalcore in Mass., and a lot of local shows I go to are some form of punk. However, there's a venue where lots of blues guys go that's one town over from me, and we have Lupo's, where bigger names sometimes come, but you can still get pretty close to them most of the time.

You can find a good mix of music if you're willing to look, but most bands I see around here are punk (which is weird, since I'm not that much of a punk fan, but a lot of these bands have my friends so I go to support them).
Man. I was going to say Austin in Texas. But since you said you can't come to Texas.
Hope you find a good place
Run!
-----------------------------------------------------------
Simply, the world was too small for a man of his ambition.
Quote by ifeastonbums
GuitarSymphony you are my hero!
Quote by LemonMonkey5
I dont think the guys willing to move across the Atlantic Ocean. I could be wrong though lol.

Id move to freakin Bahgdad if there was a good IT job and plenty of places to play music and meet other musicians......
i live in dallas/fort worth area of tx and the scene is awesome!!! a great variety of music , lots of country, blues jazz, rock, alt rock, metal, r&b, rap, even some funk and classic rock type bands..... the only bad part is that about 90 % of them suck but the 10% that are good are VERY good..... we always get great tours here too, pretty much if a professional musician/band tours they come here..... i f#ckin hate texas (waaay to hot all the time) but we got some kick a$$ venues
Quote by spaivxx
Id move to freakin Bahgdad if there was a good IT job and plenty of places to play music and meet other musicians......

*chuckle* but not the west coast? Your best bets will be NY, LA, Boston, and somewhere in Indiana; or any other major culture center -- especially those with large music schools (Indiana State; there are just so many musicians that it's easy to make something happen), or a strong musical presence (OC/LA here in Cal, Nashville, which is kind of obvious, or any other polarizing large city; Seattle, SD, SF, Atl, the big texan cities, new orleans, etc.).

BTW, what exactly do you do in IT? Admin, security, devel, NOC, what?
Quote by les_kris
Corwinoid is God
I'm not even God-like... I've officially usurped the Almighty's throne.
Click here to worship me.

Member #3 of the Corwinoid Fan Club
I live in Grand Rapids michigan and the scenes very good, tons of local bands and all the major people come here , Eric Clapton and Robert Cray are coming in septtember and we have tons of other mostly rock people who stop here after detriot( foo fighters, Tom petty, RHCP, ) and its a small city.
The music scene here is alright, but most of it is hardcore/screamo and emo. There is an alright ska scene though, and some okay punk bands. There are a lot of bands, just not a lot of talent.
Long Island=BAD EMO- Stay away at all costs if you dislike emo
Quote by Douche ©
I may not be cool off the internet, but on the internet I am pretty cool.

Aww

The Pit Cliff Notes:
Quote by SOADfreak6
myabe we all suck thats why were sitting at a computer desk talking **** thro the enternet lol

If not all of us, at least him.

<//////>~
We're pretty good at producing indie/emo-ish bands.
Alexisonfire are from here.
Blue skies at war are from around here.
Downtown drama are from a small town about ten minutes from here.
Every year we have this music festival called scene, that is in about 10 or 15 different venues and over 100 bands.
we have bands like alexisonfire, the marble index, magneta lane, ect.
Thats pretty much all the music we have here..

"Insecticon" of the Predacons Beast Wars Club
PM NightmareXT To Join!

You make me feel
Like a dog, you can see, my emotions
Is this for real, i'm a man
Sinking deep, in the ocean
Trinidad dosent really have a flourishing rock scene, however we have quite a few bands rangeing from death metal to Jazz/Rock/Reggae fusion. Its just the lack of exposure and the minimal respect given to rock bands that the scene is underground.
TEEP!!! Oiiiiiiieeeeeeeyyy!!!!!!
Long Island which sucks...but is right next to NYC, which rules. although i don't know the good places to hear new rock music. i know it's good for jazz and classical, but what are some famous rock music clubs where up and comers play a lot?
"I see my light come shining from the west down to the east
Any day now, any day now I shall be released"

Know any good teachers in NY, especially skilled in teaching ear training? Tell me
Move to Canada!!! Toronto is a great place for playing at bars or festivals with bands and such! Plus you can find a job anywhere. AND don't by shy to come on down and see the maple leafs get slaughter by the Senators! (I'm a sens fan!)
In Milwaukee, the music scene is flourishing with lots of original bands. In the suburbs is where you find the emo ****. Bass players are insanely hard to find around here, also. The job market isn't too bad, but rent for apartments is through the damn roof (if that matters to you).
The crime is a little out of hand, from what I keep hearing on the news. People are getting shot just about every day, even during the daytime. I don't think it's as dangerous as some other big cities, though. But we do make the best damn beer on this side of world.
GuitarGod: Bass players are impossible to find anywhere! if you get one just make sure you have a lot of shiny stuff so he sticks around

to everyone else? im in houston right now and i used to live in lincoln ne, and i still go to a bunch of shows in lincoln and omaha, in houston ive really only gone to punk/hardcore shows (mostly just the good kind of hardcore, not the emo kids who play with distortion
and cry) but there seems to be a bunch of music stuff going on around here, some of the punk bands from houston just simply kick ass.
but anywhere you go, these days, most everybody from the 16-22 year old range is going to be in an emo band, a "hardcore" band, or a pop-punk band, and they're all going to try to call themselves punk. and im probably wrong in saying this, but it seems like a lot of the "older guys" that used to be in good original bands realize they can make some pretty good flow playing covers at bars for other people of their age group.

im ranting. im done
the chicago music scene (at least in my general area) has no venues, no bands, very few musicians, even fewer serious musicians, and there's a s**tty instrument store in chinatown (which is right next to it)...not a very good music scene at all
Quote by BigFatSandwich
it took you 15 consecutive hours of practice to realize that playing guitar makes you better at playing guitar. congratulations.

Quote by Sharp_as_steel
Axe_grinder pwns!!!!

Member #2 of the "Official UG Teabaggers' Cult". PM Slayer224 to join.
Quote by -jeff-
I live in Grand Rapids michigan and the scenes very good, tons of local bands and all the major people come here , Eric Clapton and Robert Cray are coming in septtember and we have tons of other mostly rock people who stop here after detriot( foo fighters, Tom petty, RHCP, ) and its a small city.

Grand Rapids isn't a small city.

I nearly bought RHCP tickets for November, rawrgh.

Anyways, the western half of Michigan isn't too bad, it seems mostly a blues, country, rock, and christian music scene.

The eastern part of Michigan is primarily rap/hip-hop and rock, but there are many many more different sounds than in the western half of the state. You can find jazz, blues, R & B, classical, etc. A LOT of musicians stop through Detroit or the surrounding area.

-SD
San Diego, CA

The job rate is good i guess, there's been alot of IT jobs wanted from the places i hang out, in downtown and in malls. The music scene over here is allright, from what I've seen its just hardcore/emo, im not sure if thats your style. My American Heart used to go to my school, As I Lay Dying is from Carlsbad. The crime rate is allright, depending where you live. And you know, the whole border issue has caused some issue, but it really hasn't affected how we live. If your considering San Diego, you better bring the dough. Houses are expensive and gas is really expensive.
im kinda glad i grew in my area...wich happens to be inglewood, which is right by Los Angeles Internation Airport(LAX)....i pretty much live in one of the best music scenes..i travel further north..and we got hollywood...further south..well.nothing good further south except till u hit san diego..lol..
Fender CIJ Mustang
Fender Jagstang
Fender MIM Custom Telecaster
Fender MIM Strat
Peavey Classic 50 2x12
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Fender PT-100 Tuner
Boss SD-1
EH Small Clone
Vox Wah
Digitech Digidelay
I live about 10 minutes away from cincinatti. If you like punk you'll love it here. There's Sudsy Malones Bar/Laundromat/Punk Concert Venue where alot of the undergrounds bands play, Bogarts hosts the bigger bands and occasionally have punk shows ( I saw the Casualties there), and tons of other not so big venues that play punk. So if your punkster. cincinatti would be a good place to go.
Quote by sirpsycho85
Long Island which sucks...but is right next to NYC, which rules. although i don't know the good places to hear new rock music. i know it's good for jazz and classical, but what are some famous rock music clubs where up and comers play a lot?

CBGBs but theyre closing now
Quote by Douche ©
I may not be cool off the internet, but on the internet I am pretty cool.

Aww

The Pit Cliff Notes:
Quote by SOADfreak6
myabe we all suck thats why were sitting at a computer desk talking **** thro the enternet lol

If not all of us, at least him.

<//////>~
I do know halifax has some good metal. maybe some good jazz. but DO NOT swim in the harbour if you visit here.
Quote by Andrew Zara
My music scene sucks.I live in central Jersey, most of the bands are only cover bands including probably the most famous band in my area called Freak. None of the bands around play any original stuff, only covers, there's also this corny Bon Jovi cover band(Bon Jovi is very famous in Jersey, obviously). Probably the greatest music acomplishments that came out of Jersey are Bon Jovi and Zakk Wylde, and Bruce Springsteen(which I'm not too fond of).

I live on the borderline of Hamilton/Trenton and Trenton is not the greatest city in the world. Pollution here is horrible and the crime rate has gotten better over the past few years, but is still really high. And of course, Jersey is known to be the home of the most dangerous city in America, Camden. I've been to Camden once, and I'll never go back. We have many cultures here in Jersey, mostly Asians.

Wow, this is probably the most I've ever written in a forum. Overall, don't come to Jersey, it sucks. I'd recommend going to PA, Philadelphia has a great Jazz scene. Hope I helped.

north jersey's where it's at.
even though at the other side of my block a black kid 15 years old in a gang was shot and killed.

http://abclocal.go.com/wabc/story?section=local&id=4349227

the music scene is absolutely terrible.
emo. and all of that crap.

all the good venues sponsor emo bands and all promoters too.
the good underground metal bands play in just that....****ty rented out vfw halls while emo bands get the chance to play at a local nice school of rock
heh i live in victoria, australia :P
its pretty crappy but i used to live up north that was heaps good, people actually liked it. where i live now is in the crappy country it sux lol but meh its tiny town!
- tommy
There are cities with music scenes??? Wow...
I hate people who quote themselves in their sigs
~Uziel126
I am from the Cinncinati Area (at least extremely close to it) And I have to say I love the music scene around here. There are plenty of bars and such here, you just need to ask around and talk to as many people you can(just like any other area). It seems close to the top to you(or you wouldn't have said it first).
I'm in Montreal and I must say the music scene is pretty awesome. Many different styles and many great venues can be found downtown.
Current Equipment:

Ibanez SZ 520
Peavey Bandit Selling
Pro Co Turbo RAT Selling
Digitech RP300A Selling

PM For Details.
Do any of you Detroit guys ever come over to Windsor to see bands?
RIP SYD
Member #6 of the "SZ over RG Club!" PM ibanez4lifeSZ to join.
I live in Leeds, Yorkshire, England, we often go and see American Bands, sometimes Monday or Tuesday Nights and they are amazed we have bothered to turn out, I know America has diverse weather but mostly in Winter here its pretty cold amd miserable so I think thats why your Bands are so appreciative of us comming to see them, I have to say most of the bands are exceptional, So my friend its a long way but not only is outr local scene good there are loads of IT jobs.

Welcome to England old **** :-) (not a rude term, A friendly Yorkshire term)

Pete
I live in Jersey City, NJ. Music scene down heres pretty.."diverse", i guess. The "metalcore" scene is kinda taking root here, so is indie. The high school i got to has a pretty decent Jazz band but thats all the jazz I know of, houses here cost a lot, crime rate isnt as bad, overall people here are pretty nice--mostly asian communities. Right now though the "rock scene" here is pretty underground still
Page 1 of 2