hey guys,

my band is playing a show this thursday at a medium sized party at someones house.

i was just wondering how much my band should expect to get paid for one set.

just for some more detail-
-we're providing all of our own stuff
-we're coming a few hours early for soundcheck
-we're a 3 peice band
-im guessing theres going to be 50-100 people there, no charge

are there any other things that should be taken into consideration?

how much should i expect?

thanks in advance,

joe

(P.S., sorry for all of the threads today, lol)
it depends on if you're playing at a friend's party or if the person just invited you professionally as a band
signature here: ________

member # (insert number) of the (insert club name) club
Quote by IronBeast
it depends on if you're playing at a friend's party or if the person just invited you professionally as a band

after a free gig we did, some random guy came up to us and asked, so i'm guessing the latter.

Quote by SG Thrasher
How longs is the set?

We're going to play for a good 45 mins to an hour
It sounds like a gig more about exposure than getting paid. I mean There is no cover to get into the party. If it's a friend who invited yuo, they prolly don't expext to pay you, adn to be honest if you didn't talk about it when you agreed to do the party you kinda screwed yourself. just make sure to mention your bands website, and next show if you have one lined up so that if people like you they can goto the other show.
I listen to music and I don't need your opinions about what I listen to.
Quote by socialtool
It sounds like a gig more about exposure than getting paid. I mean There is no cover to get into the party. If it's a friend who invited yuo, they prolly don't expext to pay you, adn to be honest if you didn't talk about it when you agreed to do the party you kinda screwed yourself. just make sure to mention your bands website, and next show if you have one lined up so that if people like you they can goto the other show.

That's all correct, conditions should be agreed upon before the show. They have no obligation to pay you, but since you're only a 3-piece band they might throw you a bone.
$0. Performing at a friends house without a cover charge...you shouldn't expect to get paid.
^ I still wouldn't expect to get paid. I don't know though, maybe you guys get paid for little shows where you live. Where I live, most of the bands will play at parties, rented-halls, bars, and small venues just to play, without expecting to get paid.
^ is dead on, here in the dallas/fort worth area you gotta play and get tons of exposure before anyone will even think about paying you for a gig and if you do get paid yer lucky to get $100 total to divide amogst the band.
I charge double for private parties. When I was in an acoustic duo (2 people!) we would charge $500 for a 4 hour gig. I would charge them at least $100 since you are a beginner band. My 6-piece rock band played a private birthday party back in April in front of 100+. I charged $75 since it was in our hometown and the person was my sister's friend. I told the band next private parties are $100+. We only paid for 30 minutes also. It turned out to be our best gig.
I was once heavily prominent on these forums from 2004-2007, let's see how long I can stay now that I'm back.
heh. Ask them for a make-shift rider? That's all I'd expect. :P
It really depends on how good you are, how popular you are in the area etc. But I'd say you probably won't get much if anything if it hasn't already been settled that there will be payment.
I agree. I doubt you'll get much...if anything at all.

This is why you talk about the payment BEFOREHAND.
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic
Marshall MG100HDFXR Special Edition
Marshall MG412AR Special Edition

Quote by Danno13
^Xenn is my favorite MG owner EVAR.

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
Quote by jolson27
why would that make them want to pay us over a 4 or a 5 peice?

They wouldn't... I didn't get that comment either. But you are looking at it the right way, even though you won't make money on this show, if you do well then you will get more offers. Next time ask about payment and you are good to go. Usually when you are starting out, gas money or part of it is all you are going to get.
Why would you want to get paid? If your a young band, why worry abotu pay? Exposure is the best pay ever!
DARK_MATTER, Instrumental Post-Metal from Ireland

Bass:
Ibanez BTB 405QM
Ashdown PM600 - Peavey TVX 4x10
Russian Big Muff

Guitar:
Fender Jim Root sig
'99 Stagemaster 7-string
Yamaha F310
Hughes & Kettner Warp 7 w/4x12
since you're in a 3 piece band you just have to share the cash with 2 people. ($100 would make $33 for you)
if you were in a 4 piece band it would become $25 you see
^this guy's wrong
just ask for somethin like 15-20 each, or 10 n free booze or somethin, dont go in there demandin anything, yoll seem like total asses, just be friendly with the guy, dont focus on the money, you should get loadsa fans aswell from the party