i need help. so i finished my paint job and i assembled all my pieces back. i just put on the first string but IT WON"T PLAY!!! the string's touching all the frets so all that comes out when i pick is the 21st fret. WHAT DO I DO?!?!?!

if it has anything to do wiht stringheight adjustment, truss rod, or anything of that matter, could anyone explain all of this? because i have no idea what any of that stuff does.

thanks in advance.
raise the action maybe? down on yourbridge there should be 2 allen key holes on either side of thebridge, thurn them to raise the bridge inturn raising the strings, just make sure to have yout strings loose when doing this
^ thats it. also, make sure you try bending around the 12th fret, to make sure the action is high enough for that
My Gear:
Fender Standard Strat w/Tex-mex pups
Epi Les Paul Jr.
Epi MM-20 mandolin
Yamaha FG-110
Boss SD-1
Boss BD-2
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Digitech RP80
Fender FM212R
Epi Valve Junior

Check Me Out:
Me
strat type. so i just do what ibanezrcker said i guess.

what does the truss rod do?
yep just try that out find the right allen key and work at tit till you get sounds and no fret buzz i personally like my actionreally really low but thats just me, set it to however you like it and you're golden

the truss rod is for adjusting "bowing" in the neck, if i was youi wouldnt worry about it cuz you can majorly **** up your guitar if you screw around with that without knowingf what you're doing
and dont ever touch the truss rod, unless the neck is severly bowed
My Gear:
Fender Standard Strat w/Tex-mex pups
Epi Les Paul Jr.
Epi MM-20 mandolin
Yamaha FG-110
Boss SD-1
Boss BD-2
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Digitech RP80
Fender FM212R
Epi Valve Junior

Check Me Out:
Me
you should have got a small allen key with your guitar, you adjust the action with that
does any sound come out of it at all?
Du Hast Meche

Member 21 of "I Survived UG Pwn Day"

Quote by HugoMadizon
What is a pup?

Quote by azn_guitarist25
sir, are you a retard.
Quote by metalmilitia74
does any sound come out of it at all?

i only put in one string so far and all i hear is the string as if on the 21st fret, because it's touching basically all the frets after number 3 or 4 and it ends at 21.
Put on all the strings, it'll probably get rid of the problem.

There's a metal bar in the neck which pulls back the tension of the strings (ALL the strings at once), so having one string on isn't enough tension to pull against the metal bar, if you know what I'm saying.

Put on all strings, tune up, stretch them good a few times then play.
ok i thought it wasnt sounding at all. yeah its just an action problem. but you may also want to check to make sure that your neck isnt angeled wrong cause if you got any paint in your neck pocket it could potentially raise it up a little and cause the problem or angle it wrong. but if thats the case it only takes sanding the paint out of it. its not that hard of a fix. but good luck to you.
Du Hast Meche

Member 21 of "I Survived UG Pwn Day"

Quote by HugoMadizon
What is a pup?

Quote by azn_guitarist25
sir, are you a retard.
Quote by Y00p

There's a metal bar in the neck which pulls back the tension of the strings (ALL the strings at once), so having one string on isn't enough tension to pull against the metal bar, if you know what I'm saying.

This guy's got it. before adjusting ANYTHING, put ALL The strings on. The neck naturally "curves headstock towards body" (very slightly, mind you) when strings are on and "pull the headstock towards the body". If you just have 1 string, then you just dont have enough tension.

Put all the strings on, get it to about standard (maybe a bit lower, to be safe) tuning, and then tell us how it is.
you need to put all the strings on first then try it, happened to me before...

if it does the same thing, try adjusting the action, and if that doesnt work, maybe your neck is a lil warped, so adjust your truss rod

EDIT: Dammit, thats what i get for not coming here fast enuf...
Quote by metalmilitia74
ok i thought it wasnt sounding at all. yeah its just an action problem. but you may also want to check to make sure that your neck isnt angeled wrong cause if you got any paint in your neck pocket it could potentially raise it up a little and cause the problem or angle it wrong. but if thats the case it only takes sanding the paint out of it. its not that hard of a fix. but good luck to you.

this could be it too. i didn't cover the pocket when during the paint job. i guess before putting on all the strings i'll check this out first eh?
i believe it was the paint i got on the pocket. i sanded that out now and my guitars back to normal.

now my current problem is that "normal" means i still have a buzz from my 6th string at the 10th fret. everything else is fine, maybe some points sound a bit seinfeld-ish, if you know what i mean, but it's something i can deal with. but my 10th fret just sounds like my 11th.
how do i deal with that? is it still the action? i've had it before. if it helps, it plays like normal when i bend it. doesn't sound like a bended note, just like it should pressed down at 10th.
please help, i've been away from my guitar for painting and i need me some frusciante solos.
that could be your intonation or maby your neck needs a truss rod adjustment for the buzz at the 10th. its not that hard to do just be carefull and read up on it in the columns section of ug. that should educate you enough to make your guitar play sweet.
Quote by Y00p

im not sure if you heard, but you want to try this first, no need in even setting the truss rod or action if there is no strings on it...
Quote by dr.doctor
i believe it was the paint i got on the pocket. i sanded that out now and my guitars back to normal.

now my current problem is that "normal" means i still have a buzz from my 6th string at the 10th fret. everything else is fine, maybe some points sound a bit seinfeld-ish, if you know what i mean, but it's something i can deal with. but my 10th fret just sounds like my 11th.
how do i deal with that? is it still the action? i've had it before. if it helps, it plays like normal when i bend it. doesn't sound like a bended note, just like it should pressed down at 10th.
please help, i've been away from my guitar for painting and i need me some frusciante solos.

Do you mean when you play the 10th fret it sounds like you're playing the 11th fret?
If so, you probbably need to file down the 11th fret.
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
yea all my strings have been in already. i don't know about intonation since i can't find how intonating it would stop it from touching the 11th fret.

if i file down my 11th fret then wouldn't i just end up having my 11th sound like the 12th? as if it's down the string will hit the 12th now.
it has to be simpler than that there wasnt any neck work done, dont file the frets, its problably a truss rod problem as in you need to loosen it some but be carefull too much bow in a neck can make it hard to play, and you might need an action adjustment too, the trick is to run as little bow as you can without buzz, you basicly have a super buzz because your strings are actually sounding at the 11th fret.
so i turn the truss rod counter clock-wise right?
i'm not sure but i think it was:
if strings are too close; turn it counter
if strings are too far away from the frets; clockwise.

is this right? so i should go counter.
Quote by sempri_fi
you basicly have a super buzz because your strings are actually sounding at the 11th fret.

sorry for double post but.
not all my strings are doing that. it's only at the sixth string and when i hold down my 10th fret that it sounds like 11th. every other fret on every other string sounds good. even the frets before the 10th on my sixth.
u want to check ur intonation and leave the truss rod alone.

maybe u covered this already, the thread jumps around alot, but. ur either dealing with a high fret, or ur saying that the guitar goes sharp after the 10th fret.

if its the latter u want to check ur tuning at the 12th fret on that string, and compare it to the 12th fret harmonic.
then u turn the intonation screw until they match up.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Quote by jj1565
u want to check ur intonation and leave the truss rod alone.

maybe u covered this already, the thread jumps around alot, but. ur either dealing with a high fret, or ur saying that the guitar goes sharp after the 10th fret.

if its the latter u want to check ur tuning at the 12th fret on that string, and compare it to the 12th fret harmonic.
then u turn the intonation screw until they match up.

i dont see how intonation has anything to do with. it could be way off, but that dosnt amount to the 10th fret sounding like the 11th

and i DO think its probly the truss rod.

CHECK YOUR NECK TO SEE HOW STRAIGHT IT IS WITH A STRAIGHT EDGE AGAINST THE FRETBOARD.
hi i had the same problem with my MN1 strat it was the neck pocket. I had 2 put a small piece of card 2" x 1/2" under the front 2 screws on the neck this angles the neck slightly up making the 10th > 17th clean on E & has SFA change 2 the action height at the work end. U can even get the "shim" & muck around with different settings. Never b afraid of mucking around with your guitar, after all it is YOURS. I would back the action on my guitar against any1's & ive had the neck off countless times modding somthing A WORK IN PROGRESS
Richard

Veni Vidi Vici

Head Drug Tester of Australians FTWclub
PM the_random_hero for entry

Prime Minister of the UG archtop acoustic players club,
PM Keef_is_King
to join!
The truss rod on mine was straight just look down through the headstock will tell u if the neck is straight also from the strap anchor point at the bottom u will DEFINATLY c if the neck is straight. B4 u adjust ur truss rod loosen ur strings right off & just play around with it U WONT HURT uy gee-tar if u r careful U DONT ned 2 adjust them very far (the rotation of the alen key clockwise or anti clockwise) 2 c a result maybe 10 > 15degrees increments have a look enjoy the process U R FIXING ur guitar. COOL
Richard

Veni Vidi Vici

PM Keef_is_King
to join!
Sorry 2 b a pain but the time frame im talking of. It may take u a day mucking around till u feel u
1: feel comfortable that u know what u r doing
2: achieve a successful result
maybe longer depends how comfortable u feel using the tools etc.
just dont be scared its only wood & metal with a bit of plastic here & there after all what is the worst case cenario. U stuff up & have 2 get it fixed by a pro. Well guess what thats where u r now issnt it?
Richard

Veni Vidi Vici

PM Keef_is_King
to join!
Mangablade. ^ im not going to pretend this isnt a confusing thread, filled with spam and some misinformation.

my suggestion to check the intonation, comes from the idea that perhaps, his saddle is so off on that string, that the note is registering sharp from the 10th fret, up the length of the board.

is it possible? sure. checking the tuning at the 12th would take about 5 seconds and would result in no wear and tear on his guitar.

the other thought, that a high fret might be causing the note to be sharp is also a possibility.
to remedy that, the thread starter would just have to raise that string a little, to clear the fret, or worst case, tap in a loose fret with a small rubber hammer.

could it be that his truss rod is also off? of course. it seems as if he's adjusted it (some what haphazardly) and that might be causing him problems as well.

But, i didnt read anywhere that he measured the angle of his neck, And unless i read it wrong, the problem seems to be wt only one string.
for me this would (temporarily) rule out a neck adjustment until other options were exhausted and more information was gathered.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Try the Fender site this is all covered , set up, intonation, neck height/angle, truss rod adjustment, fretting out, action height settings & how 2, basic care & maintenance + plenty more & its free. This is where i found some great info when attacking my Strat / strat copy
here is the link

http://www.fender.com
Richard

Veni Vidi Vici

PM Keef_is_King
to join!