Who do you guys think are the foundation leaders of Punk. I personally think without Lou Reed then there would be no punk/ the punk attitude today. Also i believe without the Sex Pistols still saying **** you to things like the RnR hall of fame, punk would have lost its attitude.
yes, definetely lou reed and the velvet undrground

and the who for sure too

actually there was a good article here on UG about how the who influence and/or started punk rock
CTHC
this is gunna sound extreamly odd but i think led zeppelin's communication breakdown. its pretty uptempo and its short- the basic punk song
Quote by Gibson_Rocker13
this is gunna sound extreamly odd but i think led zeppelin's communication breakdown. its pretty uptempo and its short- the basic punk song

Yeah, I've always thought of that song as kind of "punk". But, when that song came out, there were already punk bands.

I agree with the first part of the threadstarter's post, but, however, without the Sex Pistols rejecting hall of fame induction, there would still be plenty of punk attitude. In fact, I bet that didn't inspire much punk music.

I always kinda see the MC5 as the first punk band.

I never really thought the Who were that influential on punk. Punk bands rarely cite them as an influence, and, besides very few songs, I never thought they sounded particularly "punky", they just sounded like a classic rock band.
In ancient Greece, Plato used music as therapy. However, he preferred the lyrics accompanying the music to be more important then the instrumentation. He liked music to be simple, and thought solos were pointless virtuosity.

In short, Plato was punx!

Edit:But seriously, The Stooges.
Last edited by pinheadslts75 at Jul 8, 2006,
Lou Reed and Richard Hell were really influential. The Sex Pistols tried to copy Richard Hell.

I think David Peel & The Lower East Side are a good example of early punk. It sounds like The Clash could have been influenced by them.
I felt like a monster reincarnation of Horatio Alger......a man on the move and just sick enough to be totally confident.

Quote by Hexagram
Oh and Zeke, i find you to be over-rated
You gotta remember the influence that the 60s garage ("punk") bands had, yes they didn't sound too aggressive or loud but they helped set the standard for 70s punk bands to follow.
Henry Rollins went back in time and threatened to choke slam Lou Reed.
Zeke5000: the sex pistols were influenced by richard hell. They liked his torn shirt style, which Johnny did already because he couldn't really afford to buy new clothes.
They were also influenced in the whole bondage thing by VU, the guitar style by the new york dolls, sids whole image was classic rock n roll (particularly eddy cochran) but he was also very into sinatra and the ramones.
Paul and Steve were into Mott the Hoople, and Johnny was influenced by reggae. So you can't really say they copied richard hell.

Other than that, most of the aforementioned bands (by me and others) had a big influence on punk. Personally I think the biggest influences were the Velvet Underground, the Stooges, 60's garage rock, NY dolls, and just about any classic rock n roll. Bands like the Ramones, Sex Pistols, Clash, Dead Boys, Dead Kennedys, all of them had at least one member who loved all those 50s rock groups.
Quote by B4Dkarma
When you look at a guy and immediately go, "wow, what a douchebag"

that is what girls find attractive.
Quote by Gibson_Rocker13

DOA did a sick cover of that song.

Quote by pistols
Zeke5000: the sex pistols were influenced by richard hell. They liked his torn shirt style, which Johnny did already because he couldn't really afford to buy new clothes.
They were also influenced in the whole bondage thing by VU, the guitar style by the new york dolls, sids whole image was classic rock n roll (particularly eddy cochran) but he was also very into sinatra and the ramones.

you forgot BOWIE!!
Quote by CowsWithGuns
I don't want to give myself over to a world of Regina Spektor, Van Gogh posters, and loud conversations about how wasted they got.
Oh yeah, he did love bowie. Apparently the reason he had his hair cut the way it was (and originally died red at the front) was because he loved bowie.

^glue man - malcolm didn't make the pistols do sh*t. He just liked taking credit for everything. Even if johnny and sid didn't already dress like that, it would have been their idea to copy that style
Quote by B4Dkarma
When you look at a guy and immediately go, "wow, what a douchebag"

that is what girls find attractive.
The big 4 obviously, Green Day, Blink 182, Bowling For Soup and MxPx, though i'd consider them more a hardcore band then a punk band.
Quote by pinheadslts75
In ancient Greece, Plato used music as therapy. However, he preferred the lyrics accompanying the music to be more important then the instrumentation. He liked music to be simple, and thought solos were pointless virtuosity.

In short, Plato was punx!

Oh god. hello signature.
Member of the Big Muff Club, PM sonicyouthsaves to join.

Quote by whyvern
I <3 Relient K and Christian Punx!

Up da jesus!!!!
It wouldnt fit.
Member of the Big Muff Club, PM sonicyouthsaves to join.

Quote by whyvern
I <3 Relient K and Christian Punx!

Up da jesus!!!!