The new Tom Petty song "Saving Grace" sounds just like ZZ top's La Grange. Does any one else think this?
Coldplay Rocks
I don't think so, at all really.
It's funny how if theirs a song thats just a liiiittle bit like another, then it's always called as a rip off, because their will always be something to compare it to.
"Insecticon" of the Predacons Beast Wars Club
PM NightmareXT To Join!

You make me feel
Like a dog, you can see, my emotions
Is this for real, i'm a man
Sinking deep, in the ocean
This reminds me of some radio station saying that a certain band were ripping of tom petty, oh the irony.
Quote by el nicko
This reminds me of some radio station saying that a certain band were ripping of tom petty, oh the irony.

yeah, the red hot chili peppers supposedly ripped off mary jane's last dance for dani california
Well if your going down that road, I might as well add that ZZ Top borrowed the riff from John Lee Hooker.
The idea that media is there to educate us, or to inform us, is ridiculous because that's about tenth or eleventh on their list...
- Abbie Hoffman R.I.P
While were on the topic off ripping off Petty,the Strokes took American G rl and made into "Last Nite",they even admitted it. In Rolling Stone (any of you guys read it?) Petty said he didn't really care if other bands took his songs,unless done maliciously. He also said he doesn't believe in lawsuits and shlt that.

On topic:I like the new song. Sounds somewhat like La Grange,but hey,the guy has been ripped off enough that he can make one of his songs sound somewhat similiar to another.
When your body's tired, exercise your mind.
Last edited by TimiHendrex33 at Jul 10, 2006,
Sounds like "One Bourban One Scotch One Beer" to me. Apparently his new album is a lot like Thorogood, but I've only heard the one song.
"There's Jimmy Page, one of the biggest thieves of American black music to ever walk the Earth."
^I think I already said everything in that. Look two posts above yours.

Either way,let's get off RHCP and Tom Petty thing. Let's talk about good things,like his new album and the like.
When your body's tired, exercise your mind.
The first time I heard saving grace I thought it was one burbon, one scotch, and one beer. They even compared the intros on my local radio station the ony differense is thorogoods sounds old.

People who have agreed with me:

Quote by spuime4c1es
LMFAO!
you nailed it sgfender.
Quote by TimiHendrex33
^I think I already said everything in that. Look two posts above yours.

Either way,let's get off RHCP and Tom Petty thing. Let's talk about good things,like his new album and the like.
yeah, I know. That was just proof for those who wanted it
How to achieve Frank Zappa's guitar tone:
Quote by Thefallofman
Step 1: Buy a Gibson SG
Step 2: Insert Green Ringer, EQ, 3 dead squirrels and a microwave into said SG
Step 3: Plug in and freak the **** out.
I agree the intro sounds like one of ol' Georgy's tunes but, if you listen unbiasly for the rest of the song it has Petty written all over it. That being said, could someone post the bass tabs if you know it? Right on I'm out.
Er..why would a great songwriter like Tom Petty ripoff mediocre **** like ZZ Top and George Thorogood.

lame
No fucking images.

Ghey.
Quote by thebassmunkey
if you listen unbiasly for the rest of the song it has Petty written all over it.
that whole album is classic Petty style. He is truly a great songwriter.
How to achieve Frank Zappa's guitar tone:
Quote by Thefallofman
Step 1: Buy a Gibson SG
Step 2: Insert Green Ringer, EQ, 3 dead squirrels and a microwave into said SG
Step 3: Plug in and freak the **** out.
I thought it was more "One Bourbon, One Scotch, One Beer"-esque also, at least the riff. Instant classic though
"...And I'm pretty sure what you did to my children's snowman is illegal, if not, sodomy."
-Stephen Colbert: 'The Colbert Report'
Sorry about the image but, I was still wondering if someone might contribute the bass tab for saving grace. That would be great.
Quote by ufossuck
Sounds like "One Bourban One Scotch One Beer" to me. Apparently his new album is a lot like Thorogood, but I've only heard the one song.

umm... wasn't that song called "I drink alone"?
the cd itself is pretty mellow, i heard it on rhapsody. there are some sweet songs on there, nothing classic but still good. petty's last cd was bad, so i'm glad he's back on track.
"I see my light come shining from the west down to the east
Any day now, any day now I shall be released"

Know any good teachers in NY, especially skilled in teaching ear training? Tell me
Quote by rayIII
umm... wasn't that song called "I drink alone"?

No, the title of "One Bourban, One Scotch, One Beer" is "One Bourban, One Scotch, One Beer."
"There's Jimmy Page, one of the biggest thieves of American black music to ever walk the Earth."
"I Drink Alone" is another of Thorogood's songs
"...And I'm pretty sure what you did to my children's snowman is illegal, if not, sodomy."
-Stephen Colbert: 'The Colbert Report'
Its called "Blues Rock". It sounds similiar because of the scale structure. Its not exactly the same, and if it is its a coinicedence. Tom Petty doesn't need to rip anyone off, and neither do the Peppers.

I like the new Petty song, but thats no surprise, the s.o.b. can't write a bad song.
Quote by Zero-Hartman

If I can't masturbate to childrens cartoons then this country isn't great.
Ummm....all this talk about petty is great and all but I would still really appreciate if someone could post the bass tab for Saving Grace. The song makes a daily appearance getting stuck in my head and for it would be nice for it to work its way out through my fingers. Please someone be my Saving Grace and post the bass tab!
For the record, "One Bourbon, One Scotch & One Beer" is a Hooker song that Thorogood covered.

Jacques