Muting the strings with the palm of your picking hand.
Posers are like punks, except they do it for fashion

notUG PUNK FORUM PRESIDENT!
Slightly and lightly rest your hand (Not your palm as the term suggests, but the side) on the strings before the bridge. Sounds best on the E, A and D strings and makes for a more punchy, heavier kind of sound.
you put you palm to where the strings meet the bridge of the guitar and when you play its muted
That means muting the strings with your right hand's palm right at the bridge/tremolo-system, so the result is a very percussive sound.
You slighty rest the palm of your picking hand on the strings, near the bridge. Pushing too hard will cause dead notes, and you will get no real notes out. Pushing too light doesn't really have a good effect. You're goal is to kind of add a "chug" sound to it. This is how you get accents as well. Listen to Basket Case by Green Day to know what I mean by accents. He goes from palm mute to non-palm mute really fast. Those are accents. For just palm muting, listen to pretty much and Metallica song, and listen for the "chug" I'm talking about.
A palm mute muffles the notes that you play.

It's used mainly during the verses of songs.. mainly in the metal genre.

Just rest your palm firmly, but NOT too firm on the bridge of your guitar while picking.
My gear:

MIJ Squier Stratocaster

Washburn WR150 Quilted Top

Oscar Schmidt Semi-hollow Delta King

Epiphone Hummingbird

Amps: Fender Eighty-Five
so if I do not palm mute for a song that needs it then is that why some songs i am trying to strum sound way different?
by palm muting it muffles the note and keeps it from ringing therefor giving it a more heavy metal sound.

if you want to see the difference it makes try playing "into the void" by black sabbath with and without palm mutes
Excelent mini clip now i know exactly what to do cause i seen it "in person" thanks alot for your help!
Is palm muting used while playing an acoustic guitar as well?
engstrom: my fingers don't hurt no more!
Last edited by engstrom at Jul 11, 2006,
im having problems with this technique. Im resting my palm behind where I pluck, but how am I suposed to pluck while doing so? Im trying to play "By The Way" and "hump de Bump" from the chili peppers, but ever time i try to stroke my pick down my palm lifts up and plays the note.
I'm pretty sure you play those by muting with your left hand.

EDIT: Which is easy as hell, just lift up the fingers on your left hand slightly and play like you normally would.
Quote by TheforumTroll

EDIT: Which is easy as hell, just lift up the fingers on your left hand slightly and play like you normally would.

Isn't that a chord scratch?
Quote by TheforumTroll

That would be fret hand muting, ala Smells Like Teen Spirit.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
To engstrom: Yes, palm muting can be used for acoustic guitar. Try it and see if you like the sound.

To ManEatingTree: Did you watch the mini-clip? It shouldn't be hard to do if you watch it and follow the steps.

To rdineen: A rake is where you mute strings up on the fretboard and strum.
Quote by lespaul_rentals
To engstrom: Yes, palm muting can be used for acoustic guitar. Try it and see if you like the sound.

To ManEatingTree: Did you watch the mini-clip? It shouldn't be hard to do if you watch it and follow the steps.

To rdineen: A rake is where you mute strings up on the fretboard and strum.

I did, and im doing so. But i have a big old classical guitar, the strings are farther apart then in an eletric. Im having dificulties covering it all with my palm and being able to pluck and the same time
I'm a big fan of palm muting, in all my riffs i'm always palm muting... it's a way I keep my timing and it sounds awesome... palm muting is also a very common and simple technique in most lead and rhythm guitar. What you do is place your picking hand on top of the strings right on the edge of the bridge and strum a string... For example if you strike a muted open Low E string there will be no open ring just an open note... It might be uncomfortable and frustrating at first but keep at it... Beginning guitar is nothing but practice... Get some DVD's to teach you guitar some guitar techniques, you can observe them as they play and demonstrate... Practice and commitment makes perfection... Keep at it!