Page 1 of 2
Hi all,

Usually when i see footage of a band performing live i dont expect it to sound exactly like it does on CD, due to the fact that in studio, bands use effects, have professional recording equipment and the use of studio magic/equalizers to make the sounds of all the instruments merge and sound nice.

In total, live music is not as good as the studio sound. But wait. What about Muse?
Now i already knew they where a good live band but nothing like this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPGxe5XZ6lw&search=muse%20-%20starlight

The link is to a new song called Starlight off their lastest ablum, and its flawless, as good if not better than the CD version. The only sound that is not produced by the band is about 1:30 secs in, its like a keyboard effect going up and down, other than that they are live.

Now you just wouldnt get that kind of performance from many bands today. Yes they are doing it in a specially set up stage for them (top of the pops) but even still, if you had Blink182 playing one of there songs in the same place, they would sound awefull because they always do

This is the very BEST i could find from Blink and its still nothing compared to muse.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xgWOv01gZVE&search=blink%20182%20feeling%20this%20live

So do you think its just down to there raw talent? Its not just this footage that i linked above, other live shows iv seen have been equally fantastic.
B&A buddy. As much i love Muse this thread should be there.
Quote by Draken
B&A buddy. As much i love Muse this thread should be there.

I think this is more of a "Live music discussion". I was using Muse as an example really, although some discussion of there performances would be good.
Iron Maiden is also amazing live, sometimes Bruce sounds a bit worse, but all-around, Iron Maiden is usually better live than on the albums.
Yellowknife, Northwest Territories
Quote by Liberation
Iron Maiden is also amazing live, sometimes Bruce sounds a bit worse, but all-around, Iron Maiden is usually better live than on the albums.

have you seen "Death on the road" yet?

bruce fell apart for that DvD. Rock in Rio was unbelievable but i listened to paschendaele on the new dvd and had to turn it off

Sunburst ESP Viper-400 with EMG combo
Ibanez Talman Elec-Acoustic
1973 Denver Acoustic
Traynor Custom Valve 20
Classic Cry-Baby
Quote by markoos
Sorry to burst your bubble but thats top of the pops and everybody knows top of the pops is mimed - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Top_Of_The_Pops#Miming

Not true, yes alot of band that go on there do mime, but muse does not, iv also seen Coldplay perform live on there aswell, there one was'nt as good as muse and in some parts Chris Martins voice went out as they were doing "fix you", so no not all bands mime on TOTP.
i've just noticed that live, blink-182 sound like 14 year olds. i should know, as I'm 14, and I hear many 14 year olds playing live. I think that muse must sound so much better live because of the increased talent, and some of the effects.
if everything had a point you'd have to be really careful of pointy things
Quote by JerrySeinfeld
Not true, yes alot of band that go on there do mime, but muse does not, iv also seen Coldplay perform live on there aswell, there one was'nt as good as muse and in some parts Chris Martins voice went out as they were doing "fix you", so no not all bands mime on TOTP.

Oh ok but yeh they sound awesome. I was incredibly surprised how great the foo fighters sounded at old trafford cricket ground. Dave grohls vocals are impeccable from the screams to the softer ballad songs he sang.
yea i've seen muse live, they are incredible, i was blown away. i've seen a lot of bands live, but most have been average or below average imo. muse are one of the ones who stood out as sounding great and putting on a good show too.

unluCKY...
from daylight...
...into darkness
At first I thought that may have been mimed but at one point Matt plays a bit not in the album version and the vocals are slightly different. I don't think there is any pre recorded bits as Morgan Nicholls (from the Streets) usually helps them live now. You can see him at the back right of the stage.
Muse have much better examples of lives you know....
They have all their studio added effects playing in the background, stuff like strings and sound effects.

Ibanez RG1570 Prestige
Laney VC15
Boss DS-1
Jim Dunlop Crybaby
Muse is good live, which makes Blink 182 sound like the piece of crap of which they are.
top axes:
Taylor GS8
Fender American Strat (w/DiMarzio pickups)
Epiphone Les Paul
Dream Theater is flawless live (sound wise and technically), apart from Labrie, he sucks

but lots of bands are as good (or better) live. AC/DC, Deep Purple, Maiden, SRV, and even guys like Vai and Satch with huge rigs pull practicly everything off
muse are amazing with sound, matt bellamy uses his voice as an instrument, completly changing the normal rock sound.
if it hasnt been said yet, it was at top of the pops, which is a concert where the only "live" part is the singing, which I wouldn't consider "flawless". Anyway, that's why they sound so good.
I've seen Muse at Oxegen and they are actually flawless, I'm gonna take this post to plug Incubus too.
Quote by jimtaka
i'd say your guitar is out of tune, or you are accidentally muting strings that you aren't trying to, or your right hand isn't strumming at the same time that your left hand is fretting, or you could be reading the tab upside down...
Muse are great live, one the first live shows i ever saw. I think it's just talent.
However blink have done much better than that cruel link you posted^^
try this : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ovg7Vc_BAXw Not the best but better.
Quote by Pharoah
Can God create a hot dog so hot even he couldn't eat it?

Lyke omg D@ @p0OcpLpSYe.
^that sucked too.

Anyways, Muse rock live. To me they sound better live than on thier albums.
Buy the Hullabaloo DVD and the Glastonbury DVD (forgot what the official name is, I have the bootlegged version) for the ultimate Muse experience. For those who haven't seen them perform, this demonstrates how good they are onstage.

Hullabaloo = great to watch while high. On a big screen TV with the volume pumped up. Pure magic.
Blah.
dvds can give you a false impression cause there is a lot of post production. i think things like top of the pops could be the same. some bands just get it right though i guess

i've got both the aforementioned dvds but despite their quality, the camera work on hullabaloo gets to me. do they hold a single shot for more than 3 seconds? if they do i must have missed it. this probably has a lot to do with the great experience it provides when you're stoned, its like a party in your head!
If you take home anything,
let it be your will to think,
the more cynical you become,
the better off you'll be.
muse are probably my favourite live band. the showbiz cd wasn't that good but the other cds are better. im addicted to the new album black holes and revalations. another good live band is incubus they are one of my favourite bands overall. i hope to see them when they tour for their new album.
that blink 182 video posted a few posts before this is alright. travis has a broken foot on that so instead of doing bass with his right foot he had to switch it round so he could control the bass with his left foot, which is really good considering they are playing it faster than usual
they have good sound-people and good equipment.
Quote by ACG

In conclusion, I'm gay.

Mud Sergeant of the Primus Sucks Club. PM StratEnRegalia to join.

"Member of the Frank Zappa Fan Club. PM deadhead313313 to join."
anyone see muse on channel4 i think it ewas friday night? or gonzo on mtv2?

they were definitely live andmay have even been petter performance than theso called mimed performance on TOTP. Muse are amazing, live and non-live
Quote by noodles_wazaman
dvds can give you a false impression cause there is a lot of post production. i think things like top of the pops could be the same. some bands just get it right though i guess

i've got both the aforementioned dvds but despite their quality, the camera work on hullabaloo gets to me. do they hold a single shot for more than 3 seconds? if they do i must have missed it. this probably has a lot to do with the great experience it provides when you're stoned, its like a party in your head!

True about the post-production thing.

Man, the camerawork on Hullabaloo is orgasmic! Throws in a totally different dimension to the concert. Of course, there's also the bright lights that lend to the aforementioned effect too.
Blah.
Its all about MIDI and sequencing.

Get a good MIDI board and you can store all of your pre-sets from the studio and use them live - thats where you get the same tones from the album. Also, Muse use sequencers live, so in the chorus of that video you posted, thats the sequencer. Its playing the piano arps, and just helps to fill out the sound.

A lot of it also comes in the studio, a lot of bands do a lot of stuff in the studio that they know they will never be able to pull off live, and Muse are not one of them.

The last part of the equation is that Muse are just incredibly talented, Matt is a sensational vocalist - what you hear on the albums is him. No tweaking, again, he doesn't do anything in the studio he can't do live.
They don't, Muse are even more shit live than in the studio. Emo fuck bags.
Quote by its_alive
rich_sg, I promote you to Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. of the Pit. way to speak your opinion.

Quote by ErnieBallfists
RICH_SG you are a filthy person for accusing me of dirty trolling , you are a stiff coconut
this is just because matt bellamy can sing me to the point of orgasm... the man is amazing.
here is their best video (of what ive seen) so far

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ncO5O37fNqQ&search=muse%20live

EDIT:
Quote by rich_sg

**** off you prick.

what the hell? in your profile it says:

Favourite groups:
RHCP, Muse, Guns N Roses, Velvet Revolver
Did anyone see Soldier's Poem from Shepherd's Bush? The only live Muse song I was blown away by, probably because of Chris and the piano being too quiet and Dom too loud.

Quote by rich_sg

Yeah, their first 3 albums is just Radiohead, and the new one is pop ****e.
UG Irish Clan: Póg mo thóin
Quote by xrawrockkillsx
**** off you prick.

Calm down. Get a sense of humor. It was a joke.
Member no. 13 of the Muse Idolisation Brotherhood. PM me to join, lowly mortal!
Quote by Woo!Yay!
You should really hear some Counting Crows live stuff. It's awesome.

i seriously dont like that band. Well good question, well muse are maybe aside from tool and dream theater argueably the most talented band in rock today. They give their heart out to make good music and try at their fullest.
1# member of R.I.P layne staley club pm me to join
Coolest people on UG
Alucard ll
Kendawg4TooL
XeNoCiDe730
Thembones 16
Stepco
Ticks&Leeches
theWretched
Sadisticmonkey
michelangelo!
Kartman
DownInAhole
rockon1824
Rhinosaur Bones
Quote by Glen_Hansard
Did anyone see Soldier's Poem from Shepherd's Bush? The only live Muse song I was blown away by, probably because of Chris and the piano being too quiet and Dom too loud.

Yeah, their first 3 albums is just Radiohead, and the new one is pop ****e.

hahahaha wow glen you crack me up.
1# member of R.I.P layne staley club pm me to join
Coolest people on UG
Alucard ll
Kendawg4TooL
XeNoCiDe730
Thembones 16
Stepco
Ticks&Leeches
theWretched
Sadisticmonkey
michelangelo!
Kartman
DownInAhole
rockon1824
Rhinosaur Bones
Quote by GiantRaven
It sounded slightly different to me

Its TOTP though so meh

It's obvious that they are not miming once you've heard the studio version... or maybe it's just my finely tuned Muse ears...
UG Irish Clan: Póg mo thóin
Page 1 of 2