Hmm well I started wondering about this recently, say if someone is playing 1--2--3--4 on a string and they finger the first fret now when you play the second note would you take your first finger off the fret as you play the second fret with your second finger and your second before you play the third and the third before you play the fourth or does it really matter?

I noticed this when i play something like 1--3--4 and i kept my third finger on the third fret as I placed my Pinky on the fourth string so I was just wondering if it would affect speed and such or if its just a individual thing
with that title, I wasn't thinking bout guitars....

I don't think it really matters whether or not you lift your finger up, I mean you could lift it up if you wanted it to sound staccato, but I mean if you have your second finger down then whether or not your 1st finger is down it doesn't affect the sound
signature here: ________

member # (insert number) of the (insert club name) club
As a general rule - I usually practice lifting the previous finger when the next comes down - it helps develop a smoother and more flowing fretting hand, which in turn makes shifts and movement more natural.

Don't fret though, anchoring your fingers is a common technique - really, you want to be able to play both ways.
Could be useful to let the previous finger resting if you have to bend a note. I personally dont really care if i lift it or not i usually let it rest.
Quote by Johnljones7443
As a general rule - I usually practice lifting the previous finger when the next comes down - it helps develop a smoother and more flowing fretting hand, which in turn makes shifts and movement more natural.

Don't fret though, anchoring your fingers is a common technique - really, you want to be able to play both ways.

listen to this guy
i think that you should definitely keep your fingers down if you plan to go back down the neck. it saves movement, and less movement means more speed
I don't think it will affect your speed, thats what i do, i usually leave all my fingers on, so i din't bneed to place them back on if i need to.
"Insecticon" of the Predacons Beast Wars Club
PM NightmareXT To Join!

You make me feel
Like a dog, you can see, my emotions
Is this for real, i'm a man
Sinking deep, in the ocean
If when playing the 1234 your index is still fretting while you have played the fourth fret, you should try to get your fingers off. Especially when shredding its much more convenient to move my fingers into the position they are about to play so its much more fluent. On the 134 I see what you mean, I leave my third on as well.

Quote by Robbie n strat
In the changing rooms we'd all jump around so our dicks and balls bounced all over the place, which we found hilarious.

Little children should be felt, not heard.
these chromatic exercises are meant to help achieve synchronization and especially finger independence, and keeping your fingers down will hinder your ability to skip strings as smoothly as if they weren't anchored...however, there are many instances where keeping the fingers down is essential, i.e. repeating pull-off patterns, position shifting with slides, etc...so it all depends on the situation, just like keeping your thumb over the top of the neck
Quote by BigFatSandwich
it took you 15 consecutive hours of practice to realize that playing guitar makes you better at playing guitar. congratulations.

Quote by Sharp_as_steel
Axe_grinder pwns!!!!

Member #2 of the "Official UG Teabaggers' Cult". PM Slayer224 to join.