Basically I'm not sure about anything here except that I do NOT want to buy it already made, because that's too expensive, and I'm trying to learn regardless.

Firstly... is it possible to do the neck and headstock in seperate pieces and then glue or bolt them together?

Secondly, how difficult is it to fret something by hand, and what tools would I need if I purchased only a thin piece of rosewood? Is it possible to buy a pre-fretted fingerboard? I've seen it slotted, but not fretted. I reckon I could build the rest of the neck very easily, this is the part that's bothering me.

EDIT: If it helps, I want to do a 22-fret rosewood fretboard on either maple or mahogany neck with a Les-Paul-Style headstock.
Last edited by pratt121 at Jul 8, 2006,
Quote by pratt121
Basically I'm not sure about anything here except that I do NOT want to buy it already made, because that's too expensive, and I'm trying to learn regardless.

Firstly... is it possible to do the neck and headstock in seperate pieces and then glue or bolt them together?

They can be glued together if you are doing a scarf joint like on a guitar with a angled headstock. This is usually done before anything is shaped though.

Secondly, how difficult is it to fret something by hand, and what tools would I need if I purchased only a thin piece of rosewood? Is it possible to buy a pre-fretted fingerboard? I've seen it slotted, but not fretted. I reckon I could build the rest of the neck very easily, this is the part that's bothering me.
Fretting a fretboard with hand tools isn't all that difficult. If you just bought a thin rosewood board you would need a fretsaw, a radiused sanding block, a frethammer and some files. I think i have seen prefretted fretboards on ebay, but if your going to make a neck, you can fret it.

EDIT: If it helps, I want to do a 22-fret rosewood fretboard on either maple or mahogany neck with a Les-Paul-Style headstock.

Thanks Dave.

I'm gonna go look around for a fretsaw/hammer ... hope they're not a ripoff.

If you know anywhere I could find one cheap, lemme know.
Question.

I've seen them sell these fretboards online and I can't really find one with less than 24 frets. I saw on StewMac: "For 20-fret necks, simply cut off the four highest slots." I assume I can just do this same thing for a 22-fret neck?

I've resolved pretty much every other issue, and I'm taking this very carefully.

Tomorrow, I'm going to buy the body wood.
in regards to the cutting - I don't think so, They probably name 20 because, mathematically, it just works out that way.
The number and measurement of frets is very important to accurate intonation and such.

24 fret necks are still pretty sweet, I think, though. Consider it.
Quote by pratt121
Question.

I've seen them sell these fretboards online and I can't really find one with less than 24 frets. I saw on StewMac: "For 20-fret necks, simply cut off the four highest slots." I assume I can just do this same thing for a 22-fret neck?

I've resolved pretty much every other issue, and I'm taking this very carefully.

Tomorrow, I'm going to buy the body wood.

Yeah it will be fine just cut the 2 unneeded slots.
Well, exoticwoods.com (which I only found because it was recommended in the FAQ) has 22 fret in 24-3/4" scale length, whereas if I got it from Warmoth I'd get it as a 24 with the same scale length and chop off some... I figure if I can get it in the right scale length with 22, no adjustments will be necessary, and I'll be a happy camper.

Thanks for the advice guys.

And Dave, that guitar looks purdy good.
Last edited by pratt121 at Jul 9, 2006,