Ok, so I am goign to be upgrading the pups in my Epi Les Paul. The pups currently in it are hot enough really. I was thinking about the normal Seymour Duncan JB and Jazz because they are pretty much basic and versatile. I play in a hardcore band currently so my tone is a little heavy. I like the sound of the JB through my amp. Other than my band, I play anything from Metallica and hardcore to blues and RHCP. Basically anything.

What would be the best pickup set for me to get compareable to the JB and Jazz?

Should I just buy the JB and Jazz?

Swinesheads... barenuckles? I am in the US.
Quote by aznrockerdude
BKs if you have no budget... but Swineys aren't bad either

I do have a budget. Probably about $150 at most. This is birthday money that is getting me this upgrade.
Bill Lawrence L500's, xl bridge, r or c neck. Excellent pickups. Not just for Dimes sound.
Swinehead Xbucker bridge, runaway neck
BK...I'm not certain (I haven't heard these live)
It's a fine line between clever and stupid.
Would real Gibson Pickups fit what I want? I found a set with a 490R and a 498T for $80. I could either do that or I could get the SD pups used somewhere also.
I'm going to have to say GFS. They are really high quality, inexpensive pickups. Kind of the US answer to Swinesheads.
Muddy Waters Tele - Signed by the members of Canned Heat
PRS Soapbar SE - Signed by Michael Angelo Batio
H&K Statesman Quad EL-84
Dunlop Wah (modded to JH specs)
Quote by jmac72187
Swinesheads... barenuckles? I am in the US.

Don't bother with those if you're in the US, it's not worth the hassle or $$$.

I'm not sure how much High order pickups cost but look into those, and SD pickups (not seymour duncan... Stephens Design.) and Wolfetone Pickups (I'm not sure if it's spelt like that I often get it confused with the amp company.)

For sale: Early 1985 Ibanez AH10 (Allan Holdsworth signature model) PM for details
Quote by Friedmaniac
I'm going to have to say GFS. They are really high quality, inexpensive pickups. Kind of the US answer to Swinesheads.

How nice can they really be compared to SD or swines? You can get them for about $30 a pickup on guitarfetish.com.
^ from what I hear, gfs are good for the price, and that's it. SH would own them, in other words. From hearsay.

I second power freak. Swineys are great, but yeah, probably not worth it from the USA. However, price wise, I think you're limited to high order, which is like a 10 week wait. If you're willing to wait, go high order (EDIT: though check just in case the waiting time has gone down). If not, check out those other two, and if they're over budget, go swineys- probably warthog bridge, condor or runaway neck (closest to the jb and jazz).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?