i recently purchased an Ibanez RGT42DX off of ebay. Never owning a guitar with a locking tremolo, i have begun to find all the issues that come along with it, my major one being tuning.

while tuning one string, the others change pitch causing a long and annoying balancing act, but once the strings are completely tuned to standard, the tremolo is way above where it should be, causing the strings on the lower 12 frets to lose action.

im looking for tutorials on how to avoid this and improve, but have yet to find any help.

any advice?
#1 Member of the "Who the **** is sad enough to start a group in a Guitar Forum"

Get Shot
first get the strings tuned as close as possible to the correct tuning, then lock the nut. then use the fine tuners at the edge of the bridge to tune it the rest of the way. as for the bridge being raised out/ recessed into the body, open up the trem cavity and you should see 2 screws at the base of the springs. if the bridge is sticking out of the guitar tighten the 2 to pull the bridge into the body. and if the opposite is true loosen the screws to make it level. make sure when you loosen/tighten you go slowly, and never screw more than a half turn at a time.
MY GEAR :
2000 Jackson SL-3 Soloist
Roland Cube 60
Boss Metal Zone
Dunlop 535q Wah
Shitty DS-1 (AKA Teh Pap3rWeIgHt)

Quote by Nole07
i have like 30 bucks to spend. and i wanna know from first hand experience does it make pp's huge? thanks
Put more spring tension on the bridge, either tighten the two screws which hold the plate, which the springs are attached to, or get more springs. Or when you restring the guitar, get a thinner gauge. Don't worry, after awhile it's not so difficult, and it's worth the hassle.
"When ignorance reigns, life is lost."

Teh Space
I know what your talking about cause I just bought one of those a couple months ago. My advice is to take it into a shop that can fix stuff like that, and have them set it up for you, and make sure that if they put new strings on that they stretch them really good. After that, you should be able to use the fine tunners to adjust withough unlocking the nut until you break a string. If you do break a string, don't panic. Only unlock the nut that your broken string is in. Tune that string, and then unlock all of the other nut locks and tune the rest of the strings, starting at you low E. You'll have to tune them a couple times, and once again with the fine tuners after it's locked, but you shouldn't have any problems. Just remember to stretch your strings.
There should be springs that you can tighten on the back of the guitar.

First, tune all your strings down (after unlocking your nut, obviously).

There is likely a plastic cover that can be screwed off the back; this is called the backplate. Take it off, and tighten each spring equally (ie. the same number of turns per screw), until your bridge is flush with the body.

Now tune all your strings up a bit (not to pitch, but tighter than before). Your bridge should be going up. Tighten the springs, and loosen the strings again. Repeat this process until your strings are in tune and your bridge is flush with the body.

Or, if you don't use a trem, then use a block of wood to block the tremolo from moving.
Every atom belonging to me as good belongs to you
Tuning Floyd Rose:
1) Loosen the locking nut
2) Set your fine tuners to middle position
3) Tune up your guitar to standard or whichever tunings u wish. "Cross-tuning" between strings if you want easier. Tune the low E string> A string> low E string again> D string> low E string>A string... and so forth. Keep repeating for all strings. To make it more easier, tune the low E generally a bit sharper or about half step sharper, so that you might not have to repeat crossing the strings again and again.
4) If the floating bridge comes out, loosen the tunings and then tighten the springs in the tremolo cavity at the back, if the bridge sinks, then vice-versa, until the bridge is parallel to the body.
5) Be patient
6) If you're happy with your tunings and your bridge is well centered, lock in the nut
7) Tune again using the fine tuners

Also some tips - You might want to have at least 3 springs and after following the tuning method above, tighten the 2 claw's screw for about 1/8th or 1/4th more. This is to prevent your floating bridge from getting stuck to the knife edges on the posts (action studs) after you bend notes. You can ignore this if your bridge/trem is reliable (e.g. Edge Pro, Edge, ZR, Lo-Pro Edge, Original Floyd Rose, Licenced Floyd Rose by Kahler/Schaller/Gotoh). But still you may face this problem even if your bridge is very good.

More info on tuning floyd roses - http://www.floydrose.com/originaltremolo.html
Info on changing strings - http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/columns/features/steal_this_video_re-stringing_guitar.html
Picture guide on how to perform the #4 step mentioned above - http://www.fretnotguitarrepair.com/floydrosetremolo.htm
http://www.jemsite.com/tech/1setup.htm#step1

------------------------------------------ madpickin03®------------------------------------------
"Play with your ears" - Yngwie Malmsteen, Paul Gilbert
Thats what she said...
UGmusic