Ok I got a Johnson Les Paul Style model. Its an okay guitar but i dont know if i should get a new one or upgrade my current. I'll never be able to get a new good guitar( Ibanez, Schecter, Gibson etc..) for a while (1-2 years) cause i dont get much allowance and it will be a while before i can get a job. I have already upgraded the visuals so now its the sound. If i should upgrade wat upgrades should i get? I like metal, classic rock, alternative, and some punk.
Is this your guitar? http://www.guitarshop.net/johnsonjs910.htm

If so it has a mahogany body which is very good, but the main thing you should do is upgrade your amp. A good/great amp + a decent/good guitar= great sound. Your amp is limited in its abilities, what would be your price range for a nice amp?
^^ 100-300$ and yeah that is my guitar, the vintage sunburst, and i didnt know it was mahogany, I expected it was agathis since it was that cheap.
Last edited by rockr09 at Jul 8, 2006,
I have a johnson strat model, and i think it sounds great, just like a strat. Look for a good deal on Ebay or somethin, but if you can't get a good quality electric, just upgrade your pickups on your johnson(thats what i did). My johnson was my first electric, and i still love playing with it. The Ibanez is good too.
Quote by steven seagull
There are no boring scales, just boring guitarists.

Quote by convictionless
dude calebrocker, that first song on your list almost made me cry
11/10
you win my good sir

^ My For Mom cover

Check out my MP3s!!
If you don't have much money new pickups are probably the most bang for the buck. Bill Lawrence L500's all run about $50 each. Highly recommend.
It's a fine line between clever and stupid.
^^ i will be playing 2 years this august this year, still not very good tho, i can hardly play fade to black intro solo. but im gettin better so im happy.
You should be able to afford a Vox Valvetronix AD30VT amp. I believe they run about $240 USD. That will get you much better sound.
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic
Marshall MG100HDFXR Special Edition
Marshall MG412AR Special Edition

Quote by Danno13
^Xenn is my favorite MG owner EVAR.

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
^I think 11? They aren't great, but they're better than nothing.

I also agree. Amp>>Pickups.

If you're still not happy after you get a new amp, THEN consider new pickups.
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic

Quote by Danno13

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
ok the new amp, so wat about pickups? wat about pedals? just for future reference
^Just keep your stock pups for now. If, after you get a new amp, they still sound bad to you, then consider it. Don't bother with it until then though.

As for pedals, the Vox has 11 effects on it already. You really won't need any pedals right away. Unless the Vox doesn't come with a pedal to switch on overdrive or effects. Then I'd suggest picking one of those up with the amp.
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic

Quote by Danno13

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
the amp is the main influence on your tone and sound, the pedals just take what ever that sound or tone is and runs with it!
instead of getting the vox valvetronix, you could get a tech 21 trademark. The tech 21 has a much better sound since it uses analog modelling instead of digital. Go on the tech 21 website and check out the soundclips, you will be blown away. As well, many of the models on the valvetronix sound the same and the effects sound very wierd.

here's the link for the trademark http://www.tech21nyc.com/tm30.html
malmsteen on jerry c "you are a rising force"