hey guys,

There are a few things that bug me about my gibson double cut faded.

1- the hum. i tend to use quite a bit of distortion most of the time, and the stock p-90's buzz a LOT. i'm thinking to get p-100s to solve this

2. the tuners. it really dosent tend to stay in tune as well as i like it too when im playing live and stuff, so i'm planning on getting some locking ones.

What hum cancelling options do i have in the form of replacing the picups? i know seymour duncan and DiMarizio (sp?) both sell stacked p90's along w/ gibson

and what are the best locking tuners? are the planet waves auto-trim ones any good?

thanks in advance guys,

joe
How old is your guitar? The newer ones come with P-100s I'm pretty sure.

Shielding your cavity and replacing the crappy stock Gibson electronics would cut down on the hum considerably, and it'd be a whole lot cheaper than dropping some cash on new pups. I'd do that first, and see what happens. Since you'd probably want new pots anyway, there's nothing to lose.
Quote by markom89
How old is your guitar? The newer ones come with P-100s I'm pretty sure.

Shielding your cavity and replacing the crappy stock Gibson electronics would cut down on the hum considerably, and it'd be a whole lot cheaper than dropping some cash on new pups. I'd do that first, and see what happens. Since you'd probably want new pots anyway, there's nothing to lose.

how much woulud it cost to get all new GOOD electronics and shield it appx.?

and i bought it earlier this year. and im sure it dosent have p100s
^I'm probably thinking of a different guitar

You can shield a guitar with tin foil and adhesive. If you do a good job it's just as good as getting it done proffessionally. A new switch will be about 10-12 bucks, jack's are like 3 bucks, 4 pots will be 15 bucks or so, capacitors cost pennies. Wire is cheap, and if you have a solder gun you won't have to pay for installation. So if you DIY it and get all your stuff from StewMac, it'll prolly run you 35 bucks or so max.

Shop's (usually) rape you in the ass for doing this type of stuff. I've gotten a 75 dollar quote for just replacing the electronics
Last edited by markom89 at Jul 8, 2006,