I can't get my floyd any lower and the action is still too high. could i put a slab of wood between the heel of the neck and the neck slot to boost it up a little, or maybe put in a wedge to tilt it back? if so, which would work better?
well, i dont know if you should do anything without consulting a pro( i'm not) but i would think a wedge would be better for it, but, dont rely on me, i'm no pro.
Quote by Preid
plants are basicly sex organs on stems, pollen is airbourn jizzum.

So all us hayfever suffers are allergic to plant jizz...
The action on my Squier sucked and was too high (big surprise), so I put a thin piece of cardboard under it and it was enough to make the action lower and it now plays much better.
Guitars
Schecter C1 Blackjack
Fender Standard Strat (w SD JB Humbucker in bridge)
Squire Strat
Amps
Marshall TSL 60 Head
1960A Cab
Line 6 Spider II 112
Rack
Korg DT-1 Tuner
DBX Compressor
BBE Sonic Maximizer
Try adjusting your truss rod, that should lower the action
Quote by spazzymagee417
i would pay more for a midget corpse than an average size corpse
dont adjust the truss rod unless needed to. what you want is called a neck shim and theyre are different ways of doing it. btw what guitar is this on?
Fender makes wood shems that are .040, .050, and .063 inches thick. If you are in a hurry then you could always shim with construction paper like somebody else mentioned but paper shims might have a notable affect on tone so you would probably want to eventualy get the fender shims.

edit: couldn't you just tighten the springs on your floyd rose?
Not taking any online orders.
Last edited by CorduroyEW at Jul 9, 2006,
thanks for your responses. the guitar is a strat-style. i don't think the neck needs a truss adjustemnt. from what i know the truss rod adjusts the bow of the neck. the floyd is recessed and it's already pretty well sunken into it. if i tighten the springs it will only tilt the bridge backwards.
what so your bridge isnt parallel to the body? if it isnt adjust it first before you do any other adjustments. and you gotta loosen the springs not tighten them
the neck does adjust the bow of the neck.

level the bridge first, like said.

then, after lowering the action as low as u can, if its still too high, measure the slope of ur neck.

fret Low E at the first fret. at the same time,
fret the Low E at the 17th, where the neck and body meet.

with both places held, look at the 7-8th fret.

if the string lays on the fretwire there, u dont have enough bend.
if the string is more than a credit cards thickness up from the fretwire there,
you have too much bend.

too much bend will make the action seem high even at its lowest bridge setting.

if u want, do a quick measure and post the results.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Quote by jj1565

if the string lays on the fretwire there, u dont have enough bend.
if the string is more than a credit cards thickness up from the fretwire there,
you have too much bend.

it's not laying on the fret and i can't get a credit card thru. i can't lower the bridge any more so i guess the neck has to be riased or tilted back.
well, ur really not bad. u can bend the neck a little forward

but if u straighten it too much at this point, u run the risk of going too far and laying that wire on the fret. that can cause a back bow.

but its really preference. so u decide how u want to set it up.

-If there is too much gap, the truss rod needs to be turned clockwise.
-If there is not enough gap, the truss rod needs to be turned counter clockwise.

either way, detune the guitar first, turn the allen wrench in the direction u choose a 1/8" turn. (a very small amount.)
leave the guitar for about an hour, retune and remeasure.
dont ever force a turn. any questions just repost.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
well, the cardboard seemed to work. i just cut a size like the chrome, backing-plate and stuck it between the neck and the body. just wanted to report back