Page 1 of 3
So, what is your choice of classic rock albums/artists that deserve more recognition? Keep it to around 3 items, hopefully we can get a good discussion going.

For me it's All Things Must Pass by George Harrison and Jeff Beck's Truth.

All Things Must Pass showed Harrison could do the McCartney/Lennon thing every bit as good as McCartney or Lennon, but this album remains unheard by tons of Beatles fans.

Truth was a major step towards heavy metal. Jeff Beck remains overshadowed by the mountain which is Led Zeppelin, but it's obvious he contributed as much to creating Heavy Metal than Led Zeppelin ever did.

These two albums are also among my top favorite debut albums.

Your turn
Since you started with Beck, I will give Beck Ola, which I think of as overall an even better album than Truth for a Beck/Stewart collaboration, but Truth is much more mentioned.

I agree, though, that Beck certainly did have an awesome heavy sound.
ummagumma by pink floyd... i think im the only person ive ever met that owns and listens to it, but its the f*ckin trippiest album ever written
Quote by ToolBass_dude
Look on youtube.com- search "rediculously hard classical **** that no one in their right mind would try" and you'll find some 5 year old asian kids playing it
All Things Must Pass, is by far the best solo effort of any Beatle.

But I find that alot of Dire Straits, or Mark Knopfler's solo work is quite overlooked.
****in goddamn Boston

why they dont ge talked about more is a still a mystery to me
Just Give'r
The Band Mountain is always overlooked along with Direstraits stuff
and the Debut Queen album is never talked about, its a great album!
Jefferson Airplane-Surrealistic Pillow
Blackfoot-Strikes
James Gang-Bang, and Yer Album
Rush-Fly by Night
Jackson C. Frank - s/t
Ashra - New Age of Earth
John Martyn - London Conversation

Not necessarily classic rock, but two folk albums and a krautrock album that I really think deserve a lot more recognition these days. Frank's self-titled is probably in my all time top five albums but is sadly really unrecognised for creating such a wonderful album. The John Martyn album is his first before he started to try and keep with the times and going all crappy in the 80s. The Ashra album is a slightly more recently find for me, but its absolutely amazing stuff.
Quote by Mia (Pulp Fiction)
Why do we feel it's necessary to yak about bullsh*t in order to be comfortable?

That's when you know you found somebody special. When you can just shut the f*ck up for a minute, and comfortably share silence.

RateYourMusic
Mick Ronson - Slaughter on 10th Avenue + Play, Don't Worry.

+ all the Ian Hunter Albums.
Founder Of "Mick Ronson Is an extremely Awesome Guitar Player" Fanclub.
PM me To Join.

Quote by RHDIII
as we all know emo music is basically rock and roll fully evolved to its highest potential

wtf?
The Allman Brothers Band - Presence
Free - Fire and Water
Grateful Dead - From the Mars Hotels
Jefferson Airplane - Bless Its Pointed Little Head
Led Zeppelin - Presence
Traffic - On the Road
Quote by Duane_Allman

James Gang-Bang, and Yer Album
even though I don't care for the latter James Gang w/o Joe Walsh, there are very few people I know who even know who the James Gang is. Rides Again and Yer Album rock.

Obscured By Clouds- Pink Floyd is pretty overlooked (well, after all the praise I give it, I think people have started to realize that it's a very good album ) and so is a lot of more recent Aerosmith. People assume that because Aerosmith went to hell in the early 80s, and Rock in a Hard Place (1982) and Done With Mirrors (1985) were crap that the rest of the 80s/early 90s weren't any better. Pump and Get A Grip are both great, and Permanent Vacation and Nine Lives have some good stuff on them as well.
How to achieve Frank Zappa's guitar tone:
Quote by Thefallofman
Step 1: Buy a Gibson SG
Step 2: Insert Green Ringer, EQ, 3 dead squirrels and a microwave into said SG
Step 3: Plug in and freak the **** out.
Quote by TheHeartbreaker
The Allman Brothers Band - Presence
Free - Fire and Water
Grateful Dead - From the Mars Hotels
Jefferson Airplane - Bless Its Pointed Little Head
Led Zeppelin - Presence
Traffic - On the Road

That's what I was gonna say.. my favorite of the Zeppelin albums.
Quote by grim1
Agree with you on Knopflers stuff, i loved golden heart

Out of his solo stuff I like sailing to philladelphia. What it is is an amazing song. I like dire straits more than solo though.
Quote by thefoldarsoldar
you sir, are funny as hell.

Follower of the Church of Gilmour, PM happytimeharry to join
the who sell out, the who sings my generation.

the who sell out may be overshadowed by tommy? i don't hear it talked about much.
Quote by JimmyPageSlash
nice i like how rocker clothes are cheap. im gonna be dressing completely rocker soon

TOOL ALERT
The Village Green Preservation Society - The Kinks
Lola vs. the Powerman & the Money-Go-Round, Pt. 1 - The Kinks
All Things Must Pass - George Harrison
Odyssey and Oracle - The Zombies
Sent from my iPad.
Obscured By Clouds-Pink Floyd

Overshadowed by some other albums. I think you know which ones.
When your body's tired, exercise your mind.
ogdens nuts gone flake - the small faces
first step - the faces
All Things Must Pass - George Harrison
Quote by That_Pink_Queen
Groll you're a bloody genius

Quote by a6l6e6x1
wow
im "talking" to the future greatest director in the world
PRIVELAGED

member #9 of "The Beatles really are the greatest

Metal Face productions! watch our movies!
http://www.metalface.tk/
I've noticed a lot of people have posted All Things Must Pass, but to be honest, I've been given the impression it's Harrison's most well-known post-Beatles album.

Good album, though.
Anything by BOC, especially their newer stuff...

Grace Under Pressure-Rush
You're Gonna Get It-Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers
"...And I'm pretty sure what you did to my children's snowman is illegal, if not, sodomy."
-Stephen Colbert: 'The Colbert Report'
Quadrophenia-The Who
Absolutely brilliant, conceptually speaking, with the themesof water, mental illness, and disillusionment. If it were properly recognized, it would be theost popular Who album. Also, 5:15 just plains rocks a hole through the wall.

Presence-Led Zeppelin
Not bad considering Robert Plant was in a wheelchair. Not bad even if he wasn't.

Sleepwalker-The Kinks
Another brilliant concept album.
Heavy duty rock 'n' roll
Brings out the duty in my soul
-Spinal Tap
--------------------------------
Member #7 Of SRV Fan Club
Member #10 Of UG's Official Beatles Club
Official Member Of The Who Club - pm JeffWiredBeck24 or me_and_my_esp to join
Quote by Duane_Allman
Rush-Fly by Night

That's an overrated Rush album if you ask me.

Fly By Night and 2112 are probably the two most overrated Rush albums. Moving Pictures would be overrated aswell if it weren't Red Barchetta (one of the best Rush songs ever), and everything else by Rush goes more or less unnoticed. Particularily Presto (my AotW.. keep an eye out for it ) which is probably the single most overlooked and underrated Rush album.
A Night At The Opera
Member #4 of the UG Queen Fanclub!...PM Hanzi_G to join!
Co founder of the "official band/artist obsessors club" as a queen obsessor pm me or me_and_my_esp to join!
Quote by DownDark
A Night At The Opera

Unrecognized? I think not Seems to be one of the most popular from Queen to me.

I noticed someone in this forum said that Jeff Beck was more influential on heavy metal/rock than the God-like Led Zeppelin. I love Jeff Beck, but I disagree. I read "Hammer of the Gods", the Led Zeppelin biography recently and it was quite interesting. The Yardbirds was the first major band that Jeff Beck and Jimmy Page played for. (Page replaced Beck after Beck quit. Eric Clapton was also once a member of the Yardbirds.) On numerous occasions Beck himself said that Jimmy Page up-staged him. (This happened throughout Page's career, even after Led Zeppelin fell apart.) If I had to name the single most influential album of all time, Led Zeppelin's untitled fourth album would be a heavy contender. In fact, Zep's first two albums would also be in the contest. (Along with numerous other artists albums) Beck was a legendary guitarist, but Page is one of the three best to pick up the instrument. Combined with Robert Plant, John Paul Jones and "The Beast" John Bonham, Led Zeppelin formed an all-star group of musicians of the likes we may never see again.

Now that I have finished my rant, I agree that Beck's Truth is an underated album.

Quote by chopps00
Beck was a legendary guitarist, but Page is one of the three best to pick up the instrument.

One of the best three to pick up the instrument? C'mon, the only true talent Page ever showed was the intro the "The Song Remains the Same", which was just beastly. Other than that... meh. (Sorry I had to do that)

Anyway... Black Sabbath's Heaven and Hell album is always overlooked due to all the Ozzy stuff. Dio is always kinda considered just to be predecessor, but not the equal to Ozzy Osbourne, but I prefer him.
Signature? We don't need no stinkin' signature!
I am going to have to say Argus by Wishbone Ash. For a while, they were on the brink of becoming the next big British band in the '70's with their pinnacle piece, Argus, and then they just seemed to slowly fade out of public consciousness and Argus, one of the true gems of early 70's rock, practically disappeared.
Long Live Rock

Be it dead or alive..

Founding Member of the Capital Punishment to people posting about Guns N Roses in the Classic Rock Forum Club. PM me to join.

a proudly scarred member of the Windmiller's Club
Quote by Maet
That's an overrated Rush album if you ask me.

Fly By Night and 2112 are probably the two most overrated Rush albums. Moving Pictures would be overrated aswell if it weren't Red Barchetta (one of the best Rush songs ever), and everything else by Rush goes more or less unnoticed. Particularily Presto (my AotW.. keep an eye out for it ) which is probably the single most overlooked and underrated Rush album.

I don't think that 2112 is overrated, just because alot of people like it does not mean it's overrated. It has some of the best Rush songs on it, and IMO is one of the best concept albums ever.
Dehumaniser-Black Sabbath, my goodness that album kicks ass! Iommi is a riff-meister of note and old Geezer rips out some sick bass riffs!
Quote by Duane_Allman
IMO is one of the best concept albums ever.

It's not really a concept album, as not all of the songs are related. It does have a kickass rock opera, but the rest of the album does its own thing.
Quote by self-made_page
It's not really a concept album, as not all of the songs are related. It does have a kickass rock opera, but the rest of the album does its own thing.

But the whole song 2112 is a concept song.
Page 1 of 3