Alright, so after buying and listening (and loving) both a ton of rap albums and Egyptian music, I've concluded that I 1)absolutely suck at rhythm, and 2)am nowhere even close to being a ''musician'' yet. I know that, if I want to have a life, I will never become a "true musician", but I would like to improve my rhythm a lot. So I've just bought a small set of hand drums, just for begining percussion and I've decided I'm not gonna even touch a bass for month. All I'm gonna do is work on percussion and rhythm patterns and all the good stuff. I know that it takes years to fully master any instrument, percussion included, but I'm not so worried about that as much as I am about viewing the bass from a percussionist's standpoint instead of a melodic instrumentalist's (guitar) standpoint. So I've locked my basses away in the closet and have been working on Eygptian and Indian rythmic structures for the last day or so, and boy is it hard. Hopefully, when I come back to bass, next month, I will see it in a whole new light, or maybe in two different lights, one a percussive veiwpoint, the other a melodic viewpoint. Any thoughts on this?
i don't think you should stop it completely, because there's a good chance you'll rust in that month you don't practice the bass, but i think this is a good idea. i think you're on the right track.
Quote by madbasslover
i don't think you should stop it completely, because there's a good chance you'll rust in that month you don't practice the bass, but i think this is a good idea. i think you're on the right track.

Well, I'm gonna be still playing guitar, though not as much, just to practice scales and exercises, so I won't be as rusty.
i agree with madbasslover.. there is no need to put such a block on yourself. Just say to yourself you wont do more than 15 mins of scales a day, just to keep you fingers going. You will be surprised how quickly you lose your chops !

But i think what you're doing can only be beneficial. I bought an electronic drum kit for this very purpose, but i only play about an hour a week.. it's purely for rhythmical purposes.

Good luck, but defo keep up the bass, if only 15 mins a day !
Quote by Applehead
i agree with madbasslover.. there is no need to put such a block on yourself. Just say to yourself you wont do more than 15 mins of scales a day, just to keep you fingers going. You will be surprised how quickly you lose your chops !

But i think what you're doing can only be beneficial. I bought an electronic drum kit for this very purpose, but i only play about an hour a week.. it's purely for rhythmical purposes.

Good luck, but defo keep up the bass, if only 15 mins a day !

Maybe I should, just some scales and maybe chords. Alright, let me go get them.
yeah, try to get a grip of a few instruments, like I'm trying to grasp piano, bogos, a bit of trombone, and guitar, but my main instrument will still be the electric bass. I'd be practicing bongos because they are both helpful to learning to keep time and they are cool.
Get Bongos. They make the coolest precussive noises ever. And as said, keep up on the bass with scales and speed excersizes, but I'd also practices any techniques you enjoy (tapping, slapping, etc.) for a similar period of time each day.
Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray > Digitech BP200 > Gallien Krueger 400RBIII/115

Co-President of the fIREHOSE fANCLUB. PM Me, Tedrick, or Incubus_Science to join.

Quote by crazypeanutman

damn yertle, you got some groove
Quote by Yertle
Get Bongos. They make the coolest precussive noises ever. And as said, keep up on the bass with scales and speed excersizes, but I'd also practices any techniques you enjoy (tapping, slapping, etc.) for a similar period of time each day.

I got a pair of tablas.
(Invalid img)
They're used in that whole meditative drum and bass thing in Tool's "Reflection". I'm not gonna practice any melodic techniques, like tapping, but I may do a bit of percussive slapping.
^yea Danny Carey loves his tabla!

Theres also some tabla parts in the song Intension, the begining of Right In Two, Disposition, and Third Eye...I think, not too sure on that last one...Just mentioning that if you want to hear some more Tool music with tabla...

And good luck with that, I think its a great thing to study music from all different points of view...I too play drums quite a bit...Only to find that my coordination and rythm suck ass!...lol, so I know what you mean, buts a great help to anything you wish to do musically...My main inspirations to play drums (besides drummers from rock bands) are quite a few rap songs (stuff that actually has background music and beats that were thought out, like some Immortal Technique stuff, etc) and a lot of cultural Mexican and cuban music that utilizes a bunch of different drums and techniques like polyrythms and such....

"All matter is merely energy condensed into a slow vibration and we're all one consciousness experiencing ourselves subjectively, theres no such thing as death, life is just a dream and we're the imagination of ourselves."
Last edited by XeNoCiDe730 at Jul 9, 2006,
Quote by XeNoCiDe730
^yea Danny Carey loves his tabla!

Theres also some tabla parts in the song Intension, the begining of Right In Two, Disposition, and Third Eye...I think, not too sure on that last one...Just mentioning that if you want to hear some more Tool music with tabla...

And good luck with that, I think its a great thing to study music from all different points of view...I too play drums quite a bit...Only to find that my coordination and rythm suck ass!...lol, so I know what you mean, buts a great help to anything you wish to do musically..

Yeah, for some badass Middle Eastern/North African/Indian (where the tabla originated) drumming, listen to some Egyptian music, specificly the album Immortal Egypt by Phil Thornton and Hossam Ramzy. Killer stuff.

I'm glad this was well recieved, most other forums would be like, "WTF, learn your instrument, don't be st00pid!!", which is why I love the bass forum.
yea, drumming has really opened me up to a lot of different cultural music, like I said in my last post i really enjoy a lot of cuban folk music (or w/e you call it) for the drumming styles and I've also been turned on to Japanese Tycho (sp?) Drumming, thats really cool too, TONS of talent, coordination and rythm involved in that style of drumming...so I'll definitely look into this Middle Eastern stuff to see where the tabla stlye originated...I'm curious to see where Danny got his style from too...
"All matter is merely energy condensed into a slow vibration and we're all one consciousness experiencing ourselves subjectively, theres no such thing as death, life is just a dream and we're the imagination of ourselves."
just so you know, tapping isn't always melodic, I do rhythmic tapping quite frequently(I suck at melody)
Quote by XeNoCiDe730
yea, drumming has really opened me up to a lot of different cultural music, like I said in my last post i really enjoy a lot of cuban folk music (or w/e you call it) for the drumming styles and I've also been turned on to Japanese Tycho (sp?) Drumming, thats really cool too, TONS of talent, coordination and rythm involved in that style of drumming...so I'll definitely look into this Middle Eastern stuff to see where the tabla stlye originated...I'm curious to see where Danny got his style from too...

You would love Zakir Hussain, he is the master of all things tabla.
Definately try the drum rudiments (the ones you can apply without sticks, like paradiddles)

to help not only rythmn but hand co-ordination, which also would improve 2 hand tapping.
Quote by mangablade
Definately try the drum rudiments (the ones you can apply without sticks, like paradiddles)

to help not only rythmn but hand co-ordination, which also would improve 2 hand tapping.

Could you define what a paradiddle is please?
Quote by MastaBassist10
Could you define what a paradiddle is please?

check my sig.

look up drum rudiments.

but a paradiddle is "R R L R L L R L" (thats an example, thers more) where you're doing variations of right and left hand "striking". its always the first half is opposite to the 2nd:

RRLR , LLRL

theyre done in a constant steady rythmn tho.
Quote by mangablade
check my sig.

look up drum rudiments.

but a paradiddle is "R R L R L L R L" (thats an example, thers more) where you're doing variations of right and left hand "striking". its always the first half is opposite to the 2nd:

RRLR , LLRL

theyre done in a constant steady rythmn tho.

So basically its just alternating hands in a specific pattern?
Quote by MastaBassist10
So basically its just alternating hands in a specific pattern?

more or less.

from wikipedia; "In percussion, the paradiddle is a four-note sticking pattern consisting of two alternating notes followed by a diddle. The basic pattern is RLRR or LRLL. If multiple paradiddles are played in succession, they are always alternate between starting with one hand and starting with the other."