Hey guys,
Ive been playing under 18months, but have finally decided to upgrade from my first guitar (a 2nd hand ibanez 350ex from ebay ) which ill still keep for lower tunings and such.

Im pretty lost for what to look for in a good guitar, im willing to spend between $1-2K Aus.

I mainly play metal, and its many varities, ive had a play on some of my freinds newer model ibanez's, and they feel alot nicer and smoother to play then my current one, im also interested in some of the jackson guitars. Not nessecary but i would like it to have 24 frets.

Also my current ibanez has emg's 81/85 in them, and although i love the sound of them, its annoying to replace the batteries every 3-4 weeks. Ive heard that once you get into the top of the range guitars with the really nice woods, that passive pickups sound better then actives.
As you can probably tell im lost as. some advice please!
thanks.
sorry to be the ignorant american, but roughly how many USD are you talking about?
Guitars are like voices... only with distortion...
Not sure how much they cost down under, but if your looking for some individuality you could look at www.ranguitars.com - they are designed specifically for metal methinks.

Rock On!
I'm going to create the procrastination club, just later...
You're replacing your EMG batteries every 4 weeks? You do know you have to unplug your guitar when you're not playing it? The battery for EMGs last about a year if you unplug your guitar all the time.

As for a new guitar. Why not an ESP?
My gear:

Gibson Gothic Flying V
Engl Screamer Combo
Maxon OD-9
Squier 10w amp
Ill have a look at the ESP and randalls thanks.

I can notice a significant downgrade in tone over 4 weeks with my emgs, and yes i i leave the amp cord out at all times, i think i may have a short circuit in my wiring, since i installed them myself and my wirings pretty ****ty.

Had a look at some of the ESPs, i really love the look of the ex-400 and ex-400bd, but the lack of a floating bridge is sad. Some of the Signature models are so expensive, can i assume that your paying quite a bit more for a brand name, with only a slight improvement in quality over standard models?
Last edited by behemoth111 at Jul 9, 2006,
Yep, and of course the artist signature on there.
Some of them MAY be worth it, but I maybe you can get yourself a decent signature for 1.5k Dollars.
yeah thats what i meant paying for the signature

I looked at them ran guitars, and it looks awesome being able to custom make you own, only thing that concerns me, is that they are at the very high end of my budget, will cost heaps to transport to Aus from poland and take 6-8 months to make!

Edit: could anybody recommend some models, any brand?
Last edited by behemoth111 at Jul 9, 2006,
you can get an LTD Deluxe model with that amount of money. or you could get a ESP Horizon IIFM w/seymour duncans. or an ESP Eclipse IIFM w/emgs. if you want any of those give me a heads up and i will arrange the **** needed
Your emgs are real ****ed then. EMG Actives have like 3000 hours before a battery change is needed.
RIG
Jackson SL3 Soloist
89' Ibanez RG570
Vader 4x12 Cabinet
Line 6 HD147 Head
6space HEAD/RACK case
Korg DTR1000 Rack Tuner
Furman Power Conditioner
ISP Decimator
ummm hello did the ts not see my post above. those guitars retail around 3000aud unless you shop at a good place.
Dude, check out the ESP LTD M-400 on www.music123.com Comes stock with EMG 81 and 85..sweet looking guitar too. Floating Trem...but I dunno if they deliver world wide.
Quote by BigBagBill
Dude, check out the ESP LTD M-400 on www.music123.com Comes stock with EMG 81 and 85..sweet looking guitar too. Floating Trem...but I dunno if they deliver world wide.

dude he can get an LTD Deluxe with his current budget
if the threadstarter was looking at the prices of esp/ltds on their website, then that's just the MSRP and not the actual price you would or should pay.

How much would a custom Ran cost around? and what country is Ran based in.
How about an esp viper? Scale length is awesome for shredding, comes loaded with emgs, neck-thru, and great price...buy a new guitar AND amp.
Quote by lespaulrocks39
How about an esp viper? Scale length is awesome for shredding, comes loaded with emgs, neck-thru, and great price...buy a new guitar AND amp.

they cost $2500aud
Ran guitars are based in poland, and are between 1200-2000 euros, + shipping to aus. im not quite advanced enough to know exactly what i want in custom made guitar either.

Im really not a fan of the looks of the ESP horizon or eclipses.
Right now im leaning towards the jackson RR3 (http://www.jacksonguitars.com.au/guitars/RR3_Rhoads/)
or RR5s, they look awesome and ive only read good thing about them, im finding it difficult to get an accurate price for them though, as the aussie jackson site aint working properly.

AS i see it on the ESP website, the top of the range Viper is less then 1000$???
Last edited by behemoth111 at Jul 10, 2006,
Quote by behemoth111
Ran guitars are based in poland, and are between 1200-2000 euros, + shipping to aus. im not quite advanced enough to know exactly what i want in custom made guitar either.

Im really not a fan of the looks of the ESP horizon or eclipses.
Right now im leaning towards the jackson RR3 (http://www.jacksonguitars.com.au/guitars/RR3_Rhoads/)
or RR5s, they look awesome and ive only read good thing about them, im finding it difficult to get an accurate price for them though, as the aussie jackson site aint working properly.

AS i see it on the ESP website, the top of the range Viper is less then 1000$???

thats for LTD Deluxe mate look at the ESP Standard Series
well the top of the range LTD, the viper1000, is under $1000. An actual ESP Viper is more.
Quote by The 1
well the top of the range LTD, the viper1000, is under $1000. An actual ESP Viper is more.

actually in australia it fits in the middle of his budget
True it does, but i havent heard much about them i will check them out.

Just found out that the Jackson RR3(~1000$US), are pretty crap compared to the RR1 (~2500$US) and they RR5 (~1500US$US)....damn why do they make it so hard, you would presume the model numbers would represent the tier of guitar
i know. its depressing how much we get ripped off, im not actually buying a guitar for at least a month, so ill keep my eyes peeled on ebay.
Quote by dumblostpunk
sorry to be the ignorant american, but roughly how many USD are you talking about?

sorry to be the sweet canadian but americans lick nuts
too many to list mate. but seriously how much metal do you want your guitar. you could get a M-II with an extra 500 or so on top of the 2000
Well, it is an option to save up more, right now im set on either a Jackson RR1 or RR5 but im still unaware of how much they cost here in aus, as i havent been able to contact any of my local shops yet, and they dont appear to be any ppl on ebay will to ship overseas to aus.
How come there a different models of Esp in aus, but not other countries?
ESP Japan has some models that are copied from Jackson designs so they can't sell them in U.S because of lawsuits i think. And they aren't exclusive to aus, just that you can get them. They are also available in Japan and other european countries.

Between RR5 and RR1, I'd get a RR5 because it's much cheaper and one of my dream guitars. The main difference is the trem, whether you want one or not? and the RR1 is made in USA while the RR5 MIJ. Other than that they're pretty much the same. The RR1 is probably better quality but the RR5 is still very nice.

Also if you can afford a RR1 you should be able to afford a ESP SV which is one of the ESPs that aren't available to the U.S. because It has the same design as a RR.
Last edited by The 1 at Jul 12, 2006,
Quote by azn_guitarist25
Definately rethink what you said!!

it was a joke sunshine.
Goo Goo G'Joob
SV Standard is pretty much out of the budget buy 1300aud but if you shop at a certain place its only 700aud over the price budget
Thanks for your guys help, right now ive decided on the jackson RR5 and am just on the hunt to locate one