How do hardtail bridges compare to other bridges ( Tune o Matic, Floyd, Tremolo, etc.)? Are they good or not?
Well what do you want? I mean, hard tails stay in tune, and offer ease of use when changing strings. Floyd Roses are great for whammy screams and fun effects and can be a useful addition to your repertoire, strat-style trems are easy to retune but are really there just to add tremolo to your chords or w/e.
hope that helps, but its really a personal thing
Why did Pat Metheney cross the road? He didn't, his hair got in the way
--
Member #1 of Ibanez > You club. PM me to join
uh kinda, but the tune-o is the things you see on a les paul etc, whereas a hardtail is more of a strat thing
--
aha....well:
The hardtail is just your standard non whammyish bridge, holds tune, but really is just a strat trem without the trem part, no problems really
The tune-o-matic hold tune but also increases sustain , and looks nicer , on the old ones, the tailpiece used to fall off when you changed the strings causing you to have to redo intonation, but this doesnt happen any more
--
Hardtails arent all bad, and whats more, if your guitar isnt made out of a sustainy wood and doesnt have a set in or thru neck (like an LP or SG), then a tuno wouldnt have that much effect anyway.
--
np
--
Hardtail: there are many types. string through w/tom. stoptail piece w/ tom. ummm tele style. and many do look sexy such as the new one fitted on Ibanez ARC

Tremolo Bridge: two types. floating and non-floating you also got kahlers but thats a different thing. Floating well they float parallel to the body and allow you to bend up and down within a certain degree. non-floating they sit on the body and allow you to only bend down