when playing a power chord, for example 664, i only use to fingers, index on the 4, and my middle finger on both 6s. A friend of myne uses 3 fingers, am i in the wrong, or are both acceptable, any advantages or disadvantages????
thanks
Both are useable, but some people struggle with problem, that one finger isnt strong enough to push the string down.
In my opinion the method with two fingers is much faster, but thats just my guess.
Its no matter if you do it this or that way.
\\>Viva Los Tioz<//
just comes down to personal preference.... as long as it makes the powerchord theres no right or wrong way to finger it.... hehe..... finger it....
this is my sig. there are many like it, but this is mine.

Brown Sugar
Depends, GENERALLY by habbit if i use index finger and ring finger, though sometimes i'll use index and little finger, and sometimes ill use index, ring and pinky if i want the notes to be more clear. probably bad that i alternate but, shrug.
I've stretched my fingers so I use pointer finger on bass note and middle finger and that... other finger on the other two notes... So yeah, I use 3 fingers, but just... differently.
~ J6hn
Three fingers is technically better, beacuse you can bend individual notes n slide fingers up or down to make other chords easier, and most people find that its a lot easier to make clean-sounding powerchords and slides easier with the three finger method.

On the other hand, the two finger method can mute the next string up for you. That can be a good thing or a bad thing. But any decent guitarist knows how to do that with his palm or pinky anyway.

I personally use the three-finger method.
Quote by sprkidjar
i'll give you a rimjob.

Ibanez RGT 42 DX FM TLF
Crate GT1200 Half-stack
Boss GT8
orangeacid.net

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Put him in your signature and help
(")_(") him on his way to world domination.
I use index to push down the bass note with my middle on top of it to help hold down the note, i use my pinky for the other notes.
Originally posted by: rich sg
And God said unto Jesus: "Son, is there anything you want to talk about?"
And Jesus replied: "Get off my back, Dad! Judas Priest your such a frickin' homophobe! FACE!"
And so Jesus was crucified.
i use mostly just my index and pinky, it's good for getting strength to the little finger.
Pamposh’s final question before drifting into a state of transcendent ecstasy was, “But Master, if everything is an illusion, then why does anything matter?”

To which the master replied, “It may all be an illusion, but it’s a very real illusion.”
I normally play with index and ring although I find it more comfortable to play with index, ring and pinky.
i always use 3 fingers i find it easier and also i think it makes the sound quality better
as long as it sounds right it doesn't really matter
i use my index and ring, i think it's much faster to jump around with two instead of three, but as long as you can do it do whatever works (in this case)
I never realised people played power chords so differently. This has been an eye-opener for me as I've never heard of anybody using any other fingerings than index for the bass and then the ring and pinky!
Of course anyway you play it is fine, so long as it feels comfortable and it causes no other problems such as the muting of strings etc.
it's really up to u but the two finger thing will be harder to do wen stading up..unless u use your pinky figer...
i need a bishop preaching fire to get away with my sins...i despise everything i see so i dont give a fuck if ya HATE ME!
Quote by metallica4evr
it's really up to u but the two finger thing will be harder to do wen stading up..unless u use your pinky figer...

i did have that problem when i started standing up and playing, but you adjust over time
i tried using 3 fingers but i always find i sort of forget to move one, or think too much about it, will using only 2 be limiting?
if u use 3 fingers naturally it makes learning e shape barre chords easier cause all you have to do is barre the 1st finger
Quote by saints11
when playing a power chord, for example 664, i only use to fingers, index on the 4, and my middle finger on both 6s. A friend of myne uses 3 fingers, am i in the wrong, or are both acceptable, any advantages or disadvantages????
thanks

mm, that's quite a stretch. You can use your ring finger and index finger to fret it the same way you do. I use my ring finger and pinky to fret the two 6's. When I play a gig, I sometimes just fret the first 6 with my pinky and leave it at that. I play pretty heavy, so I can still get the sound out of that fingering.

I tried to explain all that with diagrams, but the damn forum locked up when I tried to submit. Sorry!
- FJ

Quote by Landover Baptist Church
If you find [balloons in his bedroom], it is a sign that Satan may have taken your child by the hand and skipped off together to see the movie, Up without your knowledge.

I always use three fingers. One of my buddies uses only two, and he often sounds sloppy.