i played a gig on friday night at a local pub with my Screemo/metal/hardcore band and i decided that i dont like my GNX2 anymore so i ran through my Marshall JCM2000 DSL.

It sounded ok but i have been told i can"Tighten" up my sound by using a tubescremer.

Could anyone help with this matter

xchrisx
Ibanez RG770DX Reissue

Ibanez Apex 2

Ibanez S520EX w/ EMGs

Marshall DSL100 Halfstack

NEWCASTLE UNITED!
well up to about £100 really.....

surely ibanez ts9's arent that expensive
Ibanez RG770DX Reissue

Ibanez Apex 2

Ibanez S520EX w/ EMGs

NEWCASTLE UNITED!
but what i wanna know is how do they tighten up your sound?????

what will it do for me and is it the right thing for me?
thanks for the link

xchrisx
Ibanez RG770DX Reissue

Ibanez Apex 2

Ibanez S520EX w/ EMGs

NEWCASTLE UNITED!
kk but thanks anyway

gak is a mint site i got my Marshall from there
Ibanez RG770DX Reissue

Ibanez Apex 2

Ibanez S520EX w/ EMGs

NEWCASTLE UNITED!
a tubescreamer is very similar to an overdrive pedal I think, so it would add gain and overdrive to your marshall amp

I am no expert with tubescreamers but I think that's what they are doin'
ahh thanks Austrorammer

i need a boost and to something to tighten up my sound a little
Ibanez RG770DX Reissue

Ibanez Apex 2

Ibanez S520EX w/ EMGs

NEWCASTLE UNITED!
yeah marshall amps do not have enough gain without a boost for metal/hardcore/screamo IMO so it would be a good idea purchasing a tubescreamer, but you could get better ones for the money, I heard that the Maxon OD pedal is better than the tubescreamer.
i have been advised that the ts9 would be the best for my needs

but i wouldnt mind anymore suggestions
Ibanez RG770DX Reissue

Ibanez Apex 2

Ibanez S520EX w/ EMGs

NEWCASTLE UNITED!
Quote by azn_guitarist25
check www.gak.co.uk its actually quite sad how i can remember that website especially since i dont buy anothing off them

Don't be ashamed it has to be one of the best guitar shops in the world and the best thing is it's about 10 minutes away from me
mint like i wish gak was 10 mins away from me
Ibanez RG770DX Reissue

Ibanez Apex 2

Ibanez S520EX w/ EMGs

NEWCASTLE UNITED!
Quote by Geezer1
Don't be ashamed it has to be one of the best guitar shops in the world and the best thing is it's about 10 minutes away from me

i think its a 10 hour plane trip away from me
^^Me too, then I could walk there and beat the shit out of them for never having what I want in stock
Ibanez RG1570
Epiphone Black Beauty
Line 6 Spider II 112
BOSS CS-3 Compression Sustainer
Last edited by PT 2 DOOR RULE at Jul 9, 2006,
Quote by PT 2 DOOR RULE
^^Me too, then I could walk there and beat the shit out of them for never having what I want in stock

bad experience mate?
lol try 4 of the fuckers! I have a list of things that weren't in stock:

Epiphone Zakk Wylde Sig (6 weeks wait)
EMG 81/85 set (about a month)
BOSS CS-3 (3 weeks, missed my goddam birthday)
Korg Metronome (3 weeks)

I get really annoyed when people say "Oh it's the best shop ever" or "It has everything in stock ALL the time". Bastards
Ibanez RG1570
Epiphone Black Beauty
Line 6 Spider II 112
BOSS CS-3 Compression Sustainer
Last edited by PT 2 DOOR RULE at Jul 9, 2006,
Wow threadstarter....this thread has deviated a bit....I'll try to bring it back on topic.

A boost would do you well on the marshall.

From my experiences, a tubescreamer acts more effectively as a solo boost, as it also boost the mids quite a bit.

To tighten your tone and/or add gain, I'd look into a Keeley modded Boss SD-1! Amazing pedal! To save some money, try ebay, or go with the stock pedal, which isn't all that bad.
I have a tube screamer and it does boost your sound and for me genrally tightens it even though I don't play the same kind of musicthat you do. I say you go for it because I think you will like it, but I'd go for the TS9DX if I were you, if you don't like it, return it
Gear:
Fender '72 Telecaster Custom Black
Fender American Strat Chrome Blue
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Heritage Cherry (Jazz/JB)
Takamine EG530SSC (acoustic)
VOX AD50VT
Ibanez Tube Screamer
E-H Deluxe Memory Man
Thanks everyone.... just thats what i was told at the gig that i need to tighten my sound up abit and give it that much needed gain boost....

any suggestions still well apreciated
Ibanez RG770DX Reissue

Ibanez Apex 2

Ibanez S520EX w/ EMGs

NEWCASTLE UNITED!
btw i waited 5 weeks for my valvestate cab but my head and GNX 2 came in like 5 days
Ibanez RG770DX Reissue

Ibanez Apex 2

Ibanez S520EX w/ EMGs

NEWCASTLE UNITED!
It drives the pre-amp tubes harder, into saturation which kind of bumps the eq to another level making artificial harmonics jump out and squeel at will while adding more crunch and thunk to palm muted parts.
Would that be good for Hardcore/ screemo/ metal then?

Just i hate my digitech its sooo ....... Processed

wanna get myself a good original sound so i tried straight through my marshall
Ibanez RG770DX Reissue

Ibanez Apex 2

Ibanez S520EX w/ EMGs

NEWCASTLE UNITED!
still should sound good....

would lower tunings effect the tubescreamers effect on the amp?
Ibanez RG770DX Reissue

Ibanez Apex 2

Ibanez S520EX w/ EMGs

NEWCASTLE UNITED!
I second the eq.

Look into a mxr 10-band eq, runs $99.

Dial in the tone you like, and boost the volume on the eq ALL the way. The gain will just add fuzz. I've got a dsl100 half stack w/ a epi lp custom w/ emgs and this is what I do, though I STILL need more. I'm actually going to buy around 4-5 different od/dist. pedals and decide which is the best.

As far as tubescreamers go, Maxon created the original tubescreamer chips for ibanez, so maxon od-9 would be your best bet....at $150.

Also look into these:
Boss SD-1 (keeley or not)
boss blues driver
marshall bluesbreaker
MXR distortion +
DOD yngwie pedal (on a budget)

Also, Boss has an OD-3 overdrive pedal that I hear adds to the bottom end, as well as tightening up your sound. I've personally never used one, so I couldn't give good advice, but I'm going to try it out this week in Denver. So yeah, hope that helps.

Also, is your DSL stock? Try changing out the tubes. JJ makes good high-gain ECC830S preamp tubes. You could also change out the power tubes at the same tiem, but they are EL34s, and your amp would need to be biased. Also, companies like voodooamps modify marshall dsl's like ours. Run you $625 ish for a deluxe mod that would help you out.

Also, you could look into buying new speakers. Vintage 30's would help to give you a more aggressive sound.

Last point, if you are looking for a metalcore sound, why did you buy a marshall? Don't buy a marshall with its brit tones hoping for an engl powerball metal assault. Buy a different amp if necessary.
Last edited by lespaulrocks39 at Jul 9, 2006,
I have a Tubescreamer that I modded myself using the Vodka Mods kit and it does give you that push over the cliff that is needed for playing newer metal. Killswitch Engage and Shadows Fall use this method as well as God Forbid. GF used a 5150II with a TS9 in front for their newest album. I usually just put the level knob at about 1 o'clock and leave all the other knobs on zero. I have a BBE Sonic Stomp and i find that the signal gets messy with the drive and tone knobs higher than one. Its just used as a booster to give the gain an extra kick.
Caparison Dellinger-CA
MIJ Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Jackson Custom Kelly
Epiphone Gothic Explorer

Cry Baby 535Q
TU-2 Chromatic Tuner
Digitech delay
Ibanez TS-9
BBE Sonic Stomp
NS-2 Noise Gate

Peavey 5150II
Marshall 1960AV cab