Hi

I play a Fender acoustic guitar at the moment, but I'm looking to buy an electric but dont know too much about them. Sooo, what is the difference between a Stratocaster and a Telecaster?

Thanks for any help! And sorry if there's already loads of threads on this, I had a look but couldnt see any (and there's too many pages to go through).
what type of music do u play? whats ur budget?

we can help find the guitar and pickup setup most geared to ur taste.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
With an electric I would play indie/rock kind of stuff.

I was thinking of getting a second hand one (I am a student after all) and with it being my first electric I dont want to pay a big amount for one, so maybe £200 or cheaper? would that get me a decent one?

I'd like to stick with Fender too if I could get one within that budget.
A tele has two single coil pups and the strat has three single coil pups unless you have a fat strat which has two humbuckers. A tele will have a twangy sound that's well suited for country but covered rock very well too. A strat covers more genres and are very popular models along with gibson les pauls.
Parker PDF30
Vox VT40+
Quote by OldRocker
A tele has two single coil pups and the strat has three single coil pups unless you have a fat strat which has two humbuckers. A tele will have a twangy sound that's well suited for country but covered rock very well too. A strat covers more genres and are very popular models along with gibson les pauls.

not all the time. Teles can have a single/humbucker or two humbuckers. also a fat strat is a strat is a strat with a humbucker in the bridge and singles in the neck and middle. also for indie/rock i would say the tele
i think strats are more versatile...hence why i bought one. Cant go wrong with a strat. And a second hand one can probably be picked up for £200. maybe a bit more but its damn worth it. one problem you might get with a strat is the floating bridge but that can be blocked off Mega easy if you want or can be mega folled around with to get it working:P Good luck :p
Founder Of The "Jimmy Page Stole All Of My Potential Riffs" Club PM To Join!.

Quote by CoreysMonster
Meh, I usually just buy them off the local shaman, unless I'm in the wilderness, where I rely on raw meat to raise my HP.
Thanks guys for all your help!

Yeah I wouldn't mind paying that little bit extra for the quality, especially for a Fender.

strats and teles come with different pickup types.
# 1 points to the humbucker in this strat. (note is "fat" size)

if ur more apt to play heavier music, u would want a humbucker to help recreate that sound.
if ur more apt to play classic rock, rock, country, high end tones work better with a single coil pickup. (the thinner ones.)

so getting a guitar with both humbucker AND single coil(s), adds to its versatility. u can switch from the humbucker to the single coil pickups at will.

with that said. u can try both types, and find the pickup configuration that suits u best.
strats are slightly lighter, a nice form fitting shape, extra pickup.
tele's, unique look, a little more "twang" in their sound, maybe a thinner neck.

both are very nice guitars. so chose the one u like the looks of better.

fender makes MIM (mexican) strats and teles. that are very good, and around ur price range. see if u can pick one up used.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Last edited by jj1565 at Jul 9, 2006,
Quote by azn_guitarist25
or if you can get your hands on a MIJ strat

Good luck finding those. I heard they're better made than american strats and are very sought after.
Parker PDF30
Vox VT40+