Page 1 of 2
To summarize, I'm looking for a heavy metal, nu metal tone with good cleans as well. I plan on upgrading my pups to an EMG 81/60 combo although now someone has suggested the PRS Tremonti Pups as well. Tones I'm looking for are Slayer, Metallica, and nu metal stuff (Korn, mudvayne, etc.) as well as good cleans. I have heard several good reviews about the dual recto but some say you have to turn it up loud to get a good distortion tone and I also will be using the amp at home quite a bit and my 120 watt crate solid state is already much too loud. The Mark IV is said to have great cleans and classic rock and hard rock tones, but it may not have enough gain for slayer and heavy metal music. As of last night I was set on the Mark IV but Ibanez4life gave a great review of the dual recto and made it sound as though it'd be good for me, however many other people said the Mark IV would be great as well. Which amp should I choose and why? Thanks
well no matter what amp you get, if you want enough distortion for slayer, mettallica, korn, mudvayne, etc., you'll need to get a pedal. like maybe the boss metal zone. as for the amps, never tried either out, sorry.
Quote by inbloom27
well no matter what amp you get, if you want enough distortion for slayer, mettallica, korn, mudvayne, etc., you'll need to get a pedal. like maybe the boss metal zone. as for the amps, never tried either out, sorry.

I am pretty sure that a recto or Mark IV could handle those tones without a pedal. Why run an MT-2 through ridiculously nice tube amps.
If you had an overdrive pedal to boost the lead channel, the Mark IV could probably handle those tones. However, you might get some feedback issues at high volumes, and with an amp that expensive, you don't want to have to rely on a pedal for your tone. However, a Recto should be able to pull off the tones you're looking for. A Dual Recto is very expensive, and might be a bit overkill, but a Single Recto is a very good alternative. It will have all the gain you need, and the cleans aren't too bad. They are a bit throaty and they break up at an early volume stage, but if worst comes to worst, you could get a chorus pedal to clean them up when playing live.
#4 member of UG's gain \/\/hores-pm gpderek09 to join
Quote by inbloom27

You have **** for brains.
idk anything about the amps...but i have a C1 schecter, and if i wanted EMG's i would need to rout another hole in the back for the battery, and at some shops they dont even do that and they have to send it to EMG.

200 bucks for the pups.
100 bucks for labor.
idk how much for shipping there and back
if they wont fit, just get a new guitar.
Epiphone LP special II
-Duncan Designed pu's
Schecter c-1 Elite
-Neck:PAF Pro
-Bridge: Steve's Special
Boss MT-2 Metal Zone
Ibanez Weeping Demon wah
Peavey studio pro 112 65 watt
Ampeg 50 watt
Head and IMO the Mark IV is better than the Recto. Bettter distortion, more features, Better cleans. I think its alot better
Member of UG's Gain \/\/hores - pm gpderek09 to join
Ook, someone else said they had EMG's in their schecter and they didnt have to get any routing done. But i guess i probably wont upgrade the pups until i play the schecter through the new amp since I don't know how it'd sound since the amp is much more important to the tone than the pickups.
Quote by inbloom27
well no matter what amp you get, if you want enough distortion for slayer, mettallica, korn, mudvayne, etc., you'll need to get a pedal. like maybe the boss metal zone..

^^ .......
You could always buy ussed off ebay
Gear
PRS Standard SE
Laney GH100L with Marhsall 1960BV
Digitech Bad monkey
Marshall EH1
EHX Small stone
EHX Small clone
Last edited by StuC at Jul 9, 2006,
Firsdt of all, why would you want EMGs????
Pros use them so they have a pretty clean sound at high volumes, but they don't have such a great sound.

Anyway the guy that told you to get a distortion pedal must be sacrificed to the gods of Metal right now.
The Mark IV has enough gain, the Recto more than enough!

You'll have to try them ou though, you won't go wrong with the rectifier, whereas the MarkIV is a "love it or hate it" amp, if you see what I mean.

the mark has way better cleans, but maybe the recto has that special sound your looking for.
I think they're about the same price, I'm not sure though...

And as for head or combo, that's your problem....

Will you often gig with it??? Move it around etc.....
Last edited by Anty 7 at Jul 9, 2006,
I have a shecter gryphon and I put EMG's (81/85) without any routing. And I disagree with people saying they don't sound good. They are not good for every style of music, but for the bands that you just mentioned they are perfect.
^ That's exactly what I thought, someone else has the blackjack as i do and put the same emg 81/85 combo in it without routing anything. I think I might go with the EMG 81/60 combo instead since I want the clean tone Hetfield gets and he uses the 60 in the neck. And of course the 81 is the ultimate metal bridge pickup.
Quote by inbloom27

you should not be listened to by anyone, ever, about any subject under the sun. Go to the corner, hang your head in shame, and think about what you've done.

Can't help any about the subject, pierce, but I just had to pop in to call out that guy on his woeful advice.

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by xsynysterx06
idk anything about the amps...but i have a C1 schecter, and if i wanted EMG's i would need to rout another hole in the back for the battery, and at some shops they dont even do that and they have to send it to EMG.

200 bucks for the pups.
100 bucks for labor.
idk how much for shipping there and back
if they wont fit, just get a new guitar.

The EMG battery will fit in pretty much any control cavity. And sending it to a pickup company to get it rerouted? Wow, thats just... completely wrong. And wtf, why would you buy a whole new guitar just because you want certain pickups?
So unless I'm very very wrong, you obviously have no idea what you're talking about...
i'd go the mark IV, plenty of gain. LoG use them and so did metallica. lots of gain, and you can always get a boost. the mark IV sounds really tight, agressive, and in your face, great cleans, very versitle.

the recto sounds floopy, big, kinda mushy.

i'd get the mark IV and bk mm set for pick ups.

that'd be sooo mettle.
Quote by ClassicAxe

consider anything derek suggests, He IS a gain VVhore you know
Quote by jj1565
derek, will you go out wt me?

President Gain Whore -group on profile
Thanks Derek, The main question I have now is whether I should get the combo or the head and get a used recto cab? And also, I looked at the BK MM set a lot before the EMG's, would you say that they will be just as good for metal and maybe even better for cleans because the BK pups are very expensive especially since I'll be dishing out quite a lot of money for the amp.
amp: i'd probably get the combo, as you can always get a cab for it later if you need too. and you can move the combo around pretty easily if you're giging and such.
Quote by ClassicAxe

consider anything derek suggests, He IS a gain VVhore you know
Quote by jj1565
derek, will you go out wt me?

President Gain Whore -group on profile
@pierce

Hell yeah they would......... MM rules......
Tone is all ...... well probably 75%, in your fingers.
The rest depends on your wallet's thickness !!

Keep the faith, baby!!
amp: i'd probably get the combo, as you can always get a cab for it later if you need too. and you can move the combo around pretty easily if you're giging and such.

Thanks Derek, I figured that'd be best since I don't want it too loud for home use, plus even though there aren't many to find, it seems it's easier to find the combo than the head.

For bluespunkmetal
Which set would be best, what's the difference between calibrated and uncalibrated? I like the covered look, but there's a major price difference between the covered set and the calibrated covered set? It's around 300 or 350 without tax and shipping which is alot, while i could get an emg 81/60 set for around 225-250.
Go for calibrated sets, they're like pro-setupped pups...

Why don't you look at the uncovered set ??

Keep the faith, baby!!
It's only like a $30 difference between the calibrated open and calibrated covered set. That's a lot of cash between the Mark IV and the bareknuckles. Maybe my Duncans will sound pretty good through the Mark IV and I'll upgrade the pups later down the road although I love the Miracle Man set but it's quite expensive. Any other pups that you can think of that are more around the $200-250 range?
JBs are good enough

I heard wax potting covers were alllotofmoney....

Try Swinesheads..........

Keep the faith, baby!!
Quote by Dave_Mc
you should not be listened to by anyone, ever, about any subject under the sun. Go to the corner, hang your head in shame, and think about what you've done.

Can't help any about the subject, pierce, but I just had to pop in to call out that guy on his woeful advice.

That=sig

Also, Mark IV FTW!!!! You'll love it dude, plays like a dream and does it all. Also you might look into a set of BK Nailbombs too. I have a set in my RG1570 and they are amazing, maybe check out the warpigs too?
All Hail! The Kala-Kala Chieftain!
Warpigs are to mid for my taste...... I LOVE THE MM !!!

Keep the faith, baby!!
Yes... They are...

If your so obsessd by EMGs...... the MM is perfect for you....

Keep the faith, baby!!
Quote by CodySG
That=sig

haha, awesome.

anyway, pierce, seeing as how you already have duncans, which are decent but not amazing, I'd stick with your pickups till you get your new amp- then when you get the new amp, you'll know better what tones you want your pickups to have (i.e. slightly more gain, or maybe the amp will have plenty of gain, slightly more mids, slightly more scooped mids, etc.).

You know what I mean.

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
^ yeah, i suspect your problem might be that they're slightly too low gain and too organic sounding (though the amp may compensate) for the JB, and the '59 just does everything decently, but has no real character of its own, so if you want one specific neck tone, you can get better... EDIT: but you won't know till you get the new amp.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
^ yeah, it's supposed to be. Supposedly a little less gain than an 81, so if gain is your priority, you may want to get an extra hot version wound...
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Page 1 of 2