in the '85 show, he uses a guitar 'Pride & Joy' until 'Voodoo Chile'. it is white on white, rosewood fingerboard, maple neck, headstock is white as well, and it only has one tone and one volume. it is a strat copy, but not fender. plz does anyone kno wat it is?
i do know he used tokai guitars in his career. maybe it was that, but he scratched off the logo? cos on the texas flood album cover, thats a strat copy, rumour has it that it was a tokai
Dont have the video with me but he played a guitar called charlie.

If thats the one then it was built by his friend Charley Wirz and it had Danelectro Lipstick tube pickups. It was built from random Strat parts and it had one of the sweetest clean tones Ever. He played it on such songs as Couldnt Stand the Weather, Tin Pan Alley, and Life without You which was dedicated to Charley Wirz when he died.

I love that guitar.

Don't want to be an actor pretending on the stage
Don't want to be a writer with my thoughts out on the page
Don't want to be a painter 'cause everyone comes to look
Don't want to be anything where my life's an open book

Phish - Waste
Last edited by IrishBlues at Jul 9, 2006,
are the seymour duncan sls-1 rwrp (reverse wound, reverse polarity) very similar in tone? i found a really good price and plan on getting it. altho i need a new guitar, i already have a strat with Texas Specials in it now i need somewhere to put these. haha
They dont make the danelectro ones anymore but Seymour Duncan now makes lipstick tube pickups thats are similar. And they recommend only using them with a rosewood neck.

Phish - Waste
ok off topic, but i went to watch the video and in the caption part it says...

"Notice on this video of "Life Without You" that Stevie has his fingers injured by the chords. "

...now what in the world does that mean?
Its on the YouTube video.

Phish - Waste
another funny thing about that video at montreux in 85 is that during "ain't gone n' give up on love" he's playing number one during the begining, then it comes time for his solo, and he's playing charley! anyone have any explanation?? i think he might have broken a string then switched during the bridge, but he's still playing during that part!!
lay back and groove...

Nicks and dents are battle scars...they give a guitar history "very very good quote"
Clever editing.
Amp:
Fender Blues Jr (GH1230 Celestion Speaker)
Pedals
Barber DD
Wilson WH-10 Clone
Ibanez WH10 V2

Pitchblack Tuner
Boss DD-3
Guitars: 06' Custom Fender Strat Lindy Fralin Blues Specials, Callaham Tremolo
09' Olympic White Stratocaster
Quote by fenderstrat9698
another funny thing about that video at montreux in 85 is that during "ain't gone n' give up on love" he's playing number one during the begining, then it comes time for his solo, and he's playing charley! anyone have any explanation?? i think he might have broken a string then switched during the bridge, but he's still playing during that part!!

I noticed that today, I thought I was going crazy.
You know I never noticed that guitar switch. The '85 Montreaux performance is my all-time favorite concert. I'm almost sure that Charley is completly Fender except for the pickups.
I'M IN THE FIGHT TO CURE CYSTIC FIBROSIS...MY LIFE DEPENDS ON IT!

Quote by JustRooster
I'm a straight man, but I'd put that surfcaster right in my mouth.

Quote by JD2k9
Well, life is like a penis.
Women make it hard.
Also, it's short but seems long when it gets hard.
^

Probably my favorite SRV performance.

Phish - Waste
i ususally watch the 82' show most often, but i did notice the guitar switch. they did the same thing in a peter pan movie. they could of just edited the switch and placed a small swatch of guitar over the part, while the rest of the band kept playing.
:stickpoke It's Alive! AHHHHHHH!!!!
pac-man ate my stash

Founder of ZOSO Jimmy Page Fan Club __PM me to join

Member of the Frank Zappa Fan Club. PM deadhead313313 to join
I always feel akin to the 82' show, just because the more he got booed the more he seemed to turn up his heat.

But I do enjoy both quite a lot. Got enjoy Johnny Copeland joining him with all those Texan Juices on stage.
Quote by WillPlayForFood
mow lawns mutha ****a.. shiiieeett back in the old days we used to go out in the fields and pick cotton.. turns out My boss was colorblind.

EDIT:not trying to be racist.
...and don't sig me.
i just really dont like reece wymans. he sucks. he plays so loud, that you can barely hear Stevie Ray!
:stickpoke It's Alive! AHHHHHHH!!!!
pac-man ate my stash

Founder of ZOSO Jimmy Page Fan Club __PM me to join

Member of the Frank Zappa Fan Club. PM deadhead313313 to join
^^^Really? i love Reece.
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
I think I finally figured it out. The version of Ain't Gone'n'Give Up on Love from Live Alive was recorded at Montreux. But if you compare the first half of the Live at Montreux version of the song very closely, you will notice that they are NOT the same version. SRV must have played this song twice, for recording/camera purposes, breaking a string on the first run through. The Live Alive version features the Charlie guitar from start to finish (being take 2). The Live at Montreux version starts with the first take using his #1 guitar and edits to take 2 at the start of the solo with the Charlie guitar. There is just no way he can change guitars that fast. The film literally cross fades and he's got the other guitar. It just doesn't happen that quickly.