Can someone tell me how to get the sub-octave effect used in Seven Nation Army by the White Stripes?
You can also do :

bass:10
mid:0
treb:0

tone:0

it kindof works
Gibson SG Standard
Fender 52 RI Telecaster
'77 Deluxe Reverb
Sunface w/ SunDial
MXR Carbon Copy
Crybaby

Quote by Sid McCall
Epic win. He speaks the truth, boys and girls.

Founder of the Neutral Milk Hotel club PM to join~
Quote by hamish5178
You can also do :

bass:10
mid:0
treb:0

tone:0

it kindof works

Yeah I do it that way the same effect as a whammy pedal but a quarter of the price genius idea.
Looking to buy a Fender Jagstang, u sellin?
Quote by Cal UK
Yeah I do it that way the same effect as a whammy pedal but a quarter of the price genius idea.

No it doesn't. Do you know what a whammy pedal does?
Quote by Mascot
yuR a fAggit
but for those that don't want to drop 200 on a pedal for 1 song... It will be close enough. I have a whammy pedal and I prefer the sound I get from turning the bass way up.

anyone else think it's funny that in the liner notes of that song they claim that no digital effects were used?
Not taking any online orders.
Quote by CorduroyEW
but for those that don't want to drop 200 on a pedal for 1 song... It will be close enough. I have a whammy pedal and I prefer the sound I get from turning the bass way up.

anyone else think it's funny that in the liner notes of that song they claim that no digital effects were used?

You must be thinking of a Wah pedal. Wah messes around with the bass and treble, Whammy is a pitch shifter.
Quote by Mascot
yuR a fAggit
Try getting a fishing hook and shoving it down Jack White's throat... then pull really hard on the line and the sound of his larynx should create the effect you're looking for.
Quote by Skraeling86
That's a lot of booze. Frankly, I'm impressed. You're of a stronger timber than the average man, jimbob! Hail you.

Quote by Bubban
Yes you should go to a doctor, fucking moron. We can't do anything about your hemorrhoid.

Quote by Black Hole Sun
You must be thinking of a Wah pedal. Wah messes around with the bass and treble, Whammy is a pitch shifter.

No, I'm thinking of the whammy pedal. The whammy pedal digitaly slows down and speeds up the sound waves to change the pitch. To me it sound fake and I don't really like it. If you turn the bass way up on your amp it will magnify the bass your guitar puts out that is usualy too quiet to here. It isnt giving you the same low tone you get from the whammy pedal but it gives the illusion of being lower.

BTW anybody in the UK want to buy a whammy pedal?

The wah pedal is a filter so it does exactly the opposite of what I suggested.
Quote by CorduroyEW

They didn't use digitial effects, they used an Octave pedal, which isn't digital.

Quote by CorduroyEW
BTW anybody in the UK want to buy a whammy pedal?

Yes, me. How much?
Feel free to ignore my ranting.

Member of the Self-Taught Club.

A recent study shows that 8% of teenagers listen to nothing but music with guitars in it. Put this in your sig if you're one of the 92% who isn't a close-minded moron.
^So he didn't use a whammy pedal then??? How does the octive pedel work if it isn't digital?

100 quid for my pedal. It comes with a USA power supply. A UK power supply will set you back 30 quid. My daughter played with it the day I bought and since then it's just sat in the box. I bought it 6 months ago.
Jack White uses a number of effects to create his powerful live sound, most notably a Digitech whammy pedal to create the rapid modulations in pitch he uses in his solos.[11] The guitars he uses live are two 1964 JB Hutto Montgomery Airlines, a Harmony Rocket, a 1970s-era Crestwood Astral II, and a 1950s-era Kay Hollowbody. In concert with an MXR Micro-Amp and Electro-Harmonix Big Muff Pi Distortion/Sustainer, White can produce a very distinctive sound. In 2005, for the single "Blue Orchid", White employed the use of a new Electro-Harmonix creation, the Polyphonix Octave Generator (POG). Similar to (but more versatile than) the Whammy pedal, the POG lets the user mix in several octave effects into one along with the dry signal. He plugs this setup into a 1970s Fender Twin Reverb and two 100-Watt Sears Silvertone 6x10 combo amplifiers.[12]

White also produces a "fake" bass tone by playing the Kay Hollowbody and JB Hutto Montgomery Airline guitars through a Digitech Whammy pedal set to one octave down for a very thick, low, rumbling sound, which he uses most notably on the songs "Seven Nation Army" and "Hardest Button to Button".[11][13]

On occasion, White also plays other instruments, such as a Black F-Style mandolin ("Little Ghost"), piano (such as on "Denial Twist"), electric piano (like on "The Air Near My Fingers"), marimba (such as on "The Nurse"), drums, tambourine and ney."

And Jack never uses anything digital. He is analog only.
Founder of UG's David Bowie Fan Club. Pm to join.

Founder of UG's "Rockers against being freakishly skinny" Club. PM to join.
Quote by CorduroyEW
^So he didn't use a whammy pedal then??? How does the octive pedel work if it isn't digital?

I'm no pedal genius so I dunno, but I'm pretty sure that Octave pedals have been around since before digital effects were invented.

Quote by ZEKK
And Jack never uses anything digital. He is analog only.

he uses a Whammy pedal, according to you, which I (apparently incorrectly) thought he didn't, and Whammy pedals are about as digital as you can get. I'm pretty sure you need to check that...
Feel free to ignore my ranting.

Member of the Self-Taught Club.

A recent study shows that 8% of teenagers listen to nothing but music with guitars in it. Put this in your sig if you're one of the 92% who isn't a close-minded moron.