Page 1 of 3
I dont really know that much about the history of metal but what do you think the next big sub genre will be?

It was somethin like NWOBHM > thrash (or 80's?) > power groove (AKA pantera) ?

The metal the next decade will be known for basically.
Last edited by Inahrima at Jul 9, 2006,
Your a f*ucking idiot.
My Gear:

ESP EC-1000
Marshall MGDFX 30
Zoom G2.1u
wolfmother blows the ****, im sorry for anyone who likes them, but theyre gonna be just another crappy white stripes, so no they are not the next big thing, plus they arent good in concert, the next big thng in metal will be more synth things to counter the double bass i think.
Originally posted by mydadisjewish
people have different tastes. for example, i like good music, u like your dad's testicles.
Dragonforce have taken a very large step towards the mainstream so I have a feeling it might be power metal.

If not then it will probably be melodic death, we've already seen it's bastard child gain popularity in the form of metalcore.
Im hoping industrial makes a comeback...<3 industrial

Nine inch nails, ministry, skinny puppy, wooot
Quote by yertletheturtle
Gaylodic Death.

Melodic death is probably gonna get bigger. We've all heard of The Absence and Scar Symmetry, In Flames and Soilwork are getting more popular (albeit the popular stuff isn't very true to the genre), and like unfathomable_bo said, metalcore (the "bastard child" of melodic death) is already popular.

In a similar thread (not in the metal forum), someone said prog rock was going to get popular because Coheed & Cambria have progressive elements in their music. If that happens, maybe prog metal will benefit from it? Opeth seem to be getting pretty big.
Quote by Bilzzard_of_Ozz
Forest n' happy, flappy trolls metal. Undoubtably.

lyckligt och glatt och homosexuellt Trollhammaren!!!
the new and improved Finntroll track
Last edited by somepunkkid at Jul 9, 2006,
Quote by somepunkkid
lyckligt och glatt och homosexuellt Trollhammaren!!!
the new and improved Finntroll track

Whatever it is, it cant be worse than metalcore, or hardcore, or whatever this **** is called.

however, I will be thrilled if power metal and melodic death metal would be as big as metalcore was.

more new bands, more good music.
books have knowledge, knowledge is power, power corrupts, corruption is a crime, and crime doesn't pay..so if you keep reading, you'll go broke.

UG Profile
Quote by faqu
Whatever it is, it cant be worse than metalcore, or hardcore, or whatever this **** is called.

however, I will be thrilled if power metal and melodic death metal would be as big as metalcore was.

more new bands, more good music.

Amen

I just hope MTV doesnt..you know..
Quote by VomitalXX
The LLN is going to be dominating the radio before the end of the year.

Quite obviously so yes
What I want is a period like the mid nineties where metal was regarded as passe. That way I don't have to hear crappy metalcore bands everytime I turn on Much Loud. I'm not saying mainstream music sucks, because that's a ridiculous attitude to have. But uh..it's definitely not cool when bands like Avenged Sevenfold are regarded as the future of metal by the mainstream media.
Maybe U2 wouldn't suck so hard if they stopped preaching and started rocking instead. Of course, that's difficult to do with Pantera holding a near monopoly on all things that rock.
-Maddox.
Don't worry, if there's a scream/growl/ or actual showing of talent: MTV won't play it lol.
i*[∂/∂t]*Ψt = -[∇^2]/2*(Ψt) (unitless form)

Almost as convenient as Wikipedia, but infinitely more hipster, Dover.
Quote by hethamulburton
Don't worry, if there's a scream/growl/ or actual showing of talent: MTV won't play it lol.
...Trivium? Lamb of God?
I have never seen them on MTV...... let alone heard them on the radio.

.... Just correct me if I'm wrong- I don't want no flamage- but I seriously have never seen them on MTV. Unless you saw it on HB's Ball.

Quote by Scourge441

Melodic death is probably gonna get bigger. We've all heard of The Absence and Scar Symmetry, In Flames and Soilwork are getting more popular (albeit the popular stuff isn't very true to the genre), and like unfathomable_bo said, metalcore (the "bastard child" of melodic death) is already popular.

I agree with almost everything you say, but I haven't heard of The Absence
Should I be ashamed?
Quote by hethamulburton
I have never seen them on MTV...... let alone heard them on the radio.

.... Just correct me if I'm wrong- I don't want no flamage- but I seriously have never seen them on MTV. Unless you saw it on HB's Ball.
I actually don't watch TV. So I wouldn't know.

I was just talking about media in general.
Quote by pixiesfanyo
astral metal.

i was thinking about that earlier.. theres every kind of metal except like.. spaceman metal
Last.fm
My Recordnerd
Myspace

Quote by Crazy
okay. have fun. 1,567,584,586th time I've heard that in the pit

Quote by c0ld_3mphasis05
Not even that many people exist on this planet.

LOL
Quote by <><
I actually don't watch TV. So I wouldn't know.

I was just talking about media in general.

O, okay well yea if there's a scream... or a good amazing solo, by any instrument, no it will never see the light of MTV. Although, I know it's the wrong thread, but it's relevant now, Bullet For My Valentine: I have seen them once-- Tears Don't Fall-- I know they scream in that song, but they got rid of it for the video.... and the solo, well no one's said it was an amazing solo-- plus they cut off half of it anyway. Otherwise, I haven't seen anyone: THAT WOULD be accepted in this thread on MTV. And POWER METAL is on the rise, and I hope Dragonforce won't lead the charge.

The new Helloween album is awesome!!!

JohnWayneCore.

Yep. Songs about Western epics, beating up bad guys, and rugged masculinity at 200 bpm
Page 1 of 3