I'm looking in the $50 range. I've never really bought a mic before so I don't really know what to look for.
my band seriously uses like a 10 dollar memorex mic from target hasnt ever messed up shorted out
Quote by sgwyldechild
eh... wouldn't that sound like total sh*t?

Yes, it would.

I'm definitely no expert on microphones, but if you save up a bit, I hear the Shure SM57 is one of the most popular mics for a reason...it's $100, however.
Shure SM57 is the industry standard in mic'ing up guitar cabinets. They're good and you will always get great results.
yeah, man an ok mic would not cost a whole lot. look for deals in a local music store or check ebay. what kind of music is it for anyways?
Metal, I'm screaming. I belive my friend has a Shure SM57 that he got for like $80 at Guitar Center. I just really don't know what to look for like in the specs or anything.
For $50 I got a Shure PG58.

It's pretty good, I use it a lot for overheading drums and I have used it for amps as well. Live vocals aren't too bad either.
All things considered for $50 it was a good buy.
I would definetely go for the SM57 i have 56 of them at my studio, there good for basically anything except cymbals and toms, if your gonna use a 57 for vocals its best buying the seperate windshield because you'll be spitting directly into the diaphragm which isn't a good idea.

listen to my solo project (link below) most of the guitar tracks were recorded using 57's
Last edited by old_toad at Jul 9, 2006,
I bought an Audio-Technica ATR30 from Best Buy for $50 and so far it's done everything I've asked it to, from vocals to miking my amp and such. I don't know much about mics, but this thing is quite sturdy and does a good job. I give it a 7
Quote by old_toad
I would definetely go for the SM57 i have 56 of them at my studio, there good for basically anything except cymbals and toms, if your gonna use a 57 for vocals its best buying the seperate windshield because you'll be spitting directly into the diaphragm which isn't a good idea.

listen to my solo project (link below) most of the guitar tracks were recorded using 57's

well, since screaming tends to have more output than singing anyways i tend to scream across the mic and it works perfectly fine for me....although, i do use a windscreen too
It didn't look to me like you could have a wind screen on it. I would like to have a mic with a metal one, because I know it will take alot of abuse.
dont waste your money on $10 ****, cause in the end you will have too buy more and more, just go out and make an investment in the Shure Sm57, best instrument mic, for the price.
metallica recorded almost all of the vocals on the album "St. anger" with the Sm57
Quote by recordingrep
dont waste your money on $10 ****, cause in the end you will have too buy more and more, just go out and make an investment in the Shure Sm57, best instrument mic, for the price.
metallica recorded almost all of the vocals on the album "St. anger" with the Sm57

Yea and look how that album ended out...
Quote by Koolcow
Cant you just put the mic in a sock as a windshield???

Now thats METAL
Shure PG58 Great vocal mic with nearly identical sound to the SM58 (which is the industry standard for vocals) cost me $63 i think. Durable and sounds damn good!
Guitarman4040
Gear:
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Seagull Acoustic
VOX AD100VT combo 2x12 + 2x12cab
Shure mics
Assortment of Pedals
i got my sm57 for £50
Quote by rockon1824
I hope you're kidding dude. They won't even have a drum section, why would they have a car tyre section?
yeah best buy has the PG57 (instrument mic) and PG58 (vocals), which sound pretty close to the SM57 and SM58. they are about $55.
Quote by sgwyldechild
From what I'm hearing Shure Mics are the best way to go?

generally, you can't be bad with one.

there may be better ones for the specific job but shures will always get you a good sound.
Quote by jndietz
You could invest in an MXL 990. Its a condenser, though.

I have one of those too. But they are terrible for playing live. They pick up a ton of ambient sound! That translates into a good bit of FEEDBACK, even with a feedback destroyer you pic up everyone elses instruments and end up with a muddy mess. In my opinion. GREAT for recording!! Not so great for anything else.
Guitarman4040
Gear:
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Seagull Acoustic
VOX AD100VT combo 2x12 + 2x12cab
Shure mics
Assortment of Pedals
don't waste your time or miney on crap. spend the few extra bucks and have mics for a lifetime. I have a couple of sm57's & 58's that are old enough to go buy beer by themselves.
If you want a wind screen go for the sm 58. or even the beta versions of those sound quiet good. don't be a real tight wad, thank me in 20 years!
All my guitars are old enough to buy beer, are You?