The epiphone's fine, how are you?

[/bad joke]

Some LP standards have alder and some have mahogany bodies. If you get the mahogany one, it sounds great. It's very solidly built, although one of them had the high E string come out of the nut if you play it hard, but I don't think ALL are like that.

The pickups are a bit weak on their own, but with a boost they can sound great.
ive played about 3 epiphone LPs and i play 1 Gibson LP Studio

everyone of the Epiphones was better, exvcept one of the epiphones neck inlays were a bit off, but who cares, there like a third of the price
i love mine, its my main guitar and will be for a good few years to come. i honestly don't think ill ever sell it. i swapped out the stock epiphone pickups for some barknuckle p90s and its perfect for my blues style playing
My Musical attempts

My youtube music channel

Quote by TOMMYB22
Dammit, beaten to it, and by someone with the same name

CURSE YOU TOMMYT!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote by daeqwon10000
I hate tommyt and the high horse which he rides upon
Great guitar, bought one 2 days ago and haven't been able to put it down. Great action, sustain, weight, fretboard, look. Couldn't ask for much more, it's a great guitar, probably the best in it's price range.

2001 Fender MIM Stratocaster
1987 Fender F-210 Acoustic
Partscaster (in progress)

Traynor YCV40
Ibanez TS-9
Ibanez AD-9
MXR M-108
EHX Metal Muff
Boss NS-2

WTB:
Boss TU-2 Chromatic Tuner

Follow me on Twitter!
my brother has an LP special series or whatever and I'm getting to hate it. maybe I'm not really a guitar person.
Im turned off by Epiphones after I tried my friend's Epiphone Explorer with a Floyd Rose. Half of the problem was probably because of the crappy Floyd Rose on it though. It wouldnt tune, EVER, the action was so high I could barely fret a note on it, and so much more. I just think Epiphone is a poser of Gibson and I dont want to be a poser. Some people though, cant aford things as nice as a Gibson though so its fine. I just refused to play an Epiphone Les Paul on stage next to a Gibson Les Paul, because my other guitarist uses one.
thats a bit of an ignorant statement to make, gibson own epiphone for a start.

epiphone are designed to be a lower budget version this is true but take a look at the elitest range for example they easily match gibsons strandards and still roll out of the shop with an epi logo on them.

at the end of the day youve let playing a badly set up guitar colour your view of epiphone, which frankly makes you look like a clown.
My Musical attempts

My youtube music channel

Quote by TOMMYB22
Dammit, beaten to it, and by someone with the same name

CURSE YOU TOMMYT!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote by daeqwon10000
I hate tommyt and the high horse which he rides upon
epiphones are alright for the money. there obviously not gonna be as good as Gibson's, but there still good, solid guitars.
the
music and soul of love and hope and light manifesting in our minds, trapping whats left of us in our hearts.
where theres nowhere to go.

Quote by I_Pwn
Ostin, you are the pwnzorz and my new hero for that flame.

and this is a guy who's name is "i pwn"
Epiphone Les Pauls are beautiful guitars, if you're looking for a good Les Paul just get the Standard with the Plain Top even though a none-plain top is still great.
Agiles don't compare.
Jackson RR5
Epiphone LP Standard
Ibanez S370
Marshall JCM 800 4103 Combo
Roland Cube 60
I own three Epiphones, one being a Les Paul. I like all three. Get past the name thing. If you like the sound and the way it plays, then it is the guitar for you. If you think that a brand name makes you play better you're wrong. For anyone to say they won't play an Epiphone next to a Gibson is stupid and a gear junkie rather than a musician.
I got a lemon. Buzzes no matter what, badly filed fret (so when it's in tune, and intonation in perfect, it's still sharp on some notes), came from the factory with a improperly installed machine head, bridge was messed up, input jack kept coming inscrewed, and pickup switch made popping noises.

But OVERALL it's a nice guitar to play around with. I just got a lemon, and I would gladly buy another Epiphone Les Paul. (After I played it before I bought it.)
I love my epiphone les paul.

I have switched out all the hardware in it and put in some gibson classic 57 pickups, grover tuners and changed the wiring. I know people say it really doesn't compare but I love the sound that my guitar can deliver. I will own a gibson one day but for now this guitar suits all of my needs. Ive recently changed all the hardware to gold from nickel and it looks sweet. My cam broke though so thats all you can see.
I really like Epi's. Great for the price. Even the Standards I've tried haven't been too bad. In fact, they were quite nice. I wouldn't hesitate to buy one.

As for the "OH NOEZ ITZ N0T A GIBSON WTFBBQ," guy, you're an idiot. And a disgrace to musicians everywhere. People like you aren't musicians. You're simply a gear *****. You've based your entire view of Epiphones off of your friends poorly set up explorer and the name on the headstock. Do yourself a favor and go down to a guitar store that carries a ton of Epiphones. Sit down and try a bunch of them out and get a REAL opinion on them.
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic
Marshall MG100HDFXR Special Edition
Marshall MG412AR Special Edition

Quote by Danno13
^Xenn is my favorite MG owner EVAR.

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
^I've heard that as well. Same for the Epi LP Studios. They also have Grovers stock now...
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic
Marshall MG100HDFXR Special Edition
Marshall MG412AR Special Edition

Quote by Danno13
^Xenn is my favorite MG owner EVAR.

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
Quote by call1800ksmyazz
Im turned off by Epiphones after I tried my friend's Epiphone Explorer with a Floyd Rose. Half of the problem was probably because of the crappy Floyd Rose on it though. It wouldnt tune, EVER, the action was so high I could barely fret a note on it, and so much more. I just think Epiphone is a poser of Gibson and I dont want to be a poser. Some people though, cant aford things as nice as a Gibson though so its fine. I just refused to play an Epiphone Les Paul on stage next to a Gibson Les Paul, because my other guitarist uses one.

Well of course it sucked, it was set up badly, try an Epiphone Les Paul Classic Quilt top, they are amazing, I love mine.

EDIT: Xenn, you're right, call1800ksmyazz is a gear *****, but, as much as I hate to break it, none of us are really musicians.

And how could you not love this guitar, even by looks alone?
(Invalid img)
Last edited by MastaBassist10 at Jul 9, 2006,
My Epi LP Standard came with Grovers and I bought it 2 days ago. Very nice.

Traynor YCV40
Ibanez TS-9
Ibanez AD-9
MXR M-108
EHX Metal Muff
Boss NS-2

WTB:

Follow me on Twitter!
Upgrade the electronics and pups and it will sound amazingly similiar to a Gibson Les Paul at a fraction of the price. The question is, can people get over the name "Epiphone" on their guitars when they are really drooling for "Gibson" on the headstock. Epiphones (not specials) are very good guitars.
im pour and cant afford anything i play in a band and get **** stolen half the time so yea ha. but i play epiphonesa cause i cant afford the beauty of a gibson but epiphones are just as good!!! people that say their not good just cant play . . . if u can play your guitar dosent matter (as long as its playable now lol)
Here is my motto, if you couldn't tell a Gibson from an Epiphone without looking at the headstock, then you don't deserve the Gibson, nor should you waste your money on it. Epiphones are great guitars, they just get compared to Gibsons because it is the father company. Of course the Epiphone LP isn't as good as the Gibson LP, it's $2000 less. Compare Epiphone LP's to other guitars in it's price range, not Gibsons.

Traynor YCV40
Ibanez TS-9
Ibanez AD-9
MXR M-108
EHX Metal Muff
Boss NS-2

WTB:

Follow me on Twitter!
I'll admit, when you pickup a Gibson, even if you may not be able to tell the actual difference, there is a certian "feeling" you get about the whole thing.
I think epiphones are great guitars (lol i dont even have one)
because they sound great for less cost.
Which is awsome for people who cant pay alot for a guitar.
But i think if you take music seriously and want to make it your carrer,
save up some money and buy a gibson.
Not. As. Good.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?