Iv been playin for about 4 years and im not too bad but i need to stregthen my little finger for my lead guitar playing (eg. for use like dimebag). I was wondering if dere r any excercises or warm ups which i could use to do this.

cheers rocktabber
I use a gripmaster to strenghten it, or p-m me so I could send you an exercise i got in a book
To build strength and control I used a simple walking excercise.

e|--------------------------1-4-|
B|---------------------1-4------|
G|----------------1-4-----------|
D|-----------1-4----------------|
A|------1-4---------------------|
E|-1-4--------------------------|

The key to building strength and control is to use the distal joint, that is where the finger bends right at the tip, that joint. You must bend that for it to be effective when you're playing an excercise such as that.

You can also start substituting other fingers and using your pinky where in a normal situation, you wouldn't. I recommend using your pinky for bending & vibrato, too.
alright so,

start on the bottom E with

E------4--5---

only use ur Ring and pinky finger for this

Repeat this on the A string D string, keep going.

Also try trilling it, when i say trill i mean play the 4--5 has fast as u can
meow :3
the walking exercise mentioned above can also be used for other finger combinations to strengthen your pinky like 2-4 and 3-4, 3-4 being a very common trouble point and is usually more difficult to play at high speeds accurately and cleanly without tension...you can also use these "walking exercises" utilizing string skipping between the 3rd and 4th fingers, which is basically the same exercise positioned backwards like this

|------------------------------------4--3
|-----------------------------4--3-------
|---------------------4--3---------------
|-------------4--3-----------------------
|-----4--3-------------------------------
|-3--------------------------------------

and descending as well
Quote by BigFatSandwich
it took you 15 consecutive hours of practice to realize that playing guitar makes you better at playing guitar. congratulations.

Quote by Sharp_as_steel
Axe_grinder pwns!!!!

Member #2 of the "Official UG Teabaggers' Cult". PM Slayer224 to join.
next time you're with your girlfriend, use the pinky instead of 1 and 2

but seriously, I just did chromatics to get over this problem, except instead of going fast, slow down and when you get to the last 2 fingers, apply more pressure while fretting with the pinky. Make a conscious effort for the first 100 ish times and eventually you'll get used to it :P

also, try this:

E---5-------------
B---8^10--------

with your index on E5, your ring finger on B7 and pinky on B8 (little standard riff, saw it in a zakk wylde video i think, it killed my pinky for a while)
Quote by l1kel1ke
slow down and when you get to the last 2 fingers, apply more pressure while fretting with the pinky. Make a conscious effort for the first 100 ish times and eventually you'll get used to it :P

Applying more pressure than needed will do one thing and one thing only - make your pinky go flying off the fret when you release, which completely contradicts having control over it.
Heres a neat little exersise that works much better than the others:

|-----------------------------------------------1--12--|
|--------------------------------------1--12-----------|
|-----------------------------1--12--------------------|
|--------------------1--12-----------------------------|
|-----------1--12--------------------------------------|
|--1--12-----------------------------------------------|

The basic idea is that once you get used to doing 1-4 then try 1-5 and if you master that
1-6. By that time though Im sure you could snap coins with your pinky.

Quote by Robbie n strat
In the changing rooms we'd all jump around so our dicks and balls bounced all over the place, which we found hilarious.

Little children should be felt, not heard.
Quote by notoriousnumber
Heres a neat little exersise that works much better than the others:

|-----------------------------------------------1--12--|
|--------------------------------------1--12-----------|
|-----------------------------1--12--------------------|
|--------------------1--12-----------------------------|
|-----------1--12--------------------------------------|
|--1--12-----------------------------------------------|

The basic idea is that once you get used to doing 1-4 then try 1-5 and if you master that
1-6. By that time though Im sure you could snap coins with your pinky.

perhaps i seriously misread your exercise, but i think he talking about the pinky on his fretting hand, and that's one hell of a stretch from 1-12...physically impossible, i believe
Quote by BigFatSandwich
it took you 15 consecutive hours of practice to realize that playing guitar makes you better at playing guitar. congratulations.

Quote by Sharp_as_steel
Axe_grinder pwns!!!!

Quote by axe_grinder247
perhaps i seriously misread your exercise, but i think he talking about the pinky on his fretting hand, and that's one hell of a stretch from 1-12...physically impossible, i believe

Maybe he meant jumping from F to E and so on?

I like to trill with my pinky to exercise it.
Quote by kirbyrocknroll
Maybe he meant jumping from F to E and so on?

I like to trill with my pinky to exercise it.

that's what i was thinking, but how that helps pinky strength more than quick position shifts is beyond me...trills are good, but performing them too fast too soon will result in serious hand crampage - oh yeah, a new word
Quote by BigFatSandwich

Quote by Sharp_as_steel
Axe_grinder pwns!!!!

......Maybe I was just joking, I cant belive you lot thought I meant to stretch from 1-12, I was just being a tad hyperbolic. Oh well, MT is getting rather strict now there arent very many noobs here, so Ill reserve this sort of sacralige for the pit.....

On topic though, do some tapping, that nearly always requires you to fret with your pinky, Eruption a good example.

Quote by Robbie n strat
In the changing rooms we'd all jump around so our dicks and balls bounced all over the place, which we found hilarious.

Quote by notoriousnumber
......Maybe I was just joking, I cant belive you lot thought I meant to stretch from 1-12, I was just being a tad hyperbolic. Oh well, MT is getting rather strict now there arent very many noobs here, so Ill reserve this sort of sacralige for the pit.....

On topic though, do some tapping, that nearly always requires you to fret with your pinky, Eruption a good example.

Your excercise wasn't completely irrelevant - I'll sometimes take 10-15 minutes out to do such an excercise... it works wonders for position shifting and left hand accuracy.
^Yeah, try and put some regular/irregular variation on it so you go like 1-12, 1-14, 1-13, 1-15, 1-14, 1-16, 1-15 etc. That way you really will get accuracy along the fretboard.

Quote by Robbie n strat

if you want a pretty good position shifting exercise i would just switch strings so that the scale shape you are playing is an octave or two higher...that, or playing some 4 nps major scales, perfect for fast position shifts and/or slide-shifting
Quote by BigFatSandwich

Quote by Sharp_as_steel
Axe_grinder pwns!!!!