Lately I have noticed that I am not really satisfied with the amount of distortion I get out of my bridge pickup on my Epi. I like the tone that I can get out of it, but its not crunchy enough for me. I don't really understand this seeing as my amp is a high gain amp. I get plenty of gain with my Schecter but I like my Les Paul better. The neck pickup is totally fine. Great cleans and I don't feel that I need to replace that.

Should I upgrade my pickup for a Seymour Duncan JB or should I buy an OD pedal?

Which OD pedal should I buy? (Budget of about $60, will be used for heavier stuff like hardcore but also general rock and blues.)
id say new pedal try a boss metal zone its got hard distortion and also light
Quote by roryp15
id say new pedal try a boss metal zone its got hard distortion and also light

I have a tube amp that is just almost there. I don't want to buy a distortion pedal for all the gain.
If you really like the tone enough, then an OD can give you a straight signal boost, whereas a JB will totally change your tone.
Ibanez -> Peavey -> Eardrums

Apparently I'm on some list of people to listen to..?
Od.. Just tune the drive/gain so it doesn't color your tone and you will be there.
you MIGHT be able to find a used tubescreamer off ebay.
When I plug an od in (probably a TS or SD-1) would I want to keep my amps gain dimed and then play with the pedal or the other way around? I don't want the sound to get all jumbled up while I play. I just want to add crunch to my already distorted signal.
well what you would do is to set the amp to what you prefer, then if its not enought gain, set the pedal for the gain all the way down and the level up a little bit for a real gain boost.
Ibanez -> Peavey -> Eardrums

Apparently I'm on some list of people to listen to..?
Alright guys thanks for all the info. I am going to pick up an SD-1 used for $30us this afternoon. I am excited now. I have my first gig 2 weeks from today and I want to use my Les Paul but I need some heavier palm mutes for some parts. Thanks again.