Hey, I'm trying to decide what pickups I want on a new guitar, but really I have no expertise or knowledge past a basic level on them. So, what pickups would be good for me, considering my influences are meta/classic rock/instrumental or virtuoso stuff/. Artists like Metallica, Satriani, Hendrix, Maiden, Vai, Megadeth and Pantera are what I usually listen to and conversely, the styles that I imitate on guitar when I'm not practising scales/chords/improvisation.

I'm basically more biased towards Seymour Duncan, Dimarzio and EMGs. I'd like some very versatile pickups, allowing me to play a bunch of styles. Pup config would probably be either H-S-S, H-S-H or H-H[-H] with coil taps, since I want single coil tones. Can you guys give me some info on what would be best for these preferences?
yeh man go for Seymour Duncan distortion pup in the bridge and a jazz model in the neck (for H-H with a coil tap.) what guitar are you planning to get?
My Rig:
Maverick F-1, Ibanez RG1527, Schecter Omen 8
Marshall JVM 410H,
Hand built 4x12 w/ V30s
Current board:
PXL LIVE
TU2
WHAMMY IV
MXR M132
MXR M101
TIMMY
NS2
MXR M108
XOTIC EP
TC DREAMSCAPE
DL8
Leaning more and more to the Jackson Dinky...but I don't know how good a guitar it is. That, or an Ibanez RG1570

EDIT: How good are Ibanez pickups? Would I be best off replacing them if I were to buy one?
Last edited by Pulling Teeth at Jul 9, 2006,
Go to the DiMarzio website they got a pickup picker, just say wat u want they tell u wat to use
Quote by Pulling Teeth
Leaning more and more to the Jackson Dinky...but I don't know how good a guitar it is. That, or an Ibanez RG1570

EDIT: How good are Ibanez pickups? Would I be best off replacing them if I were to buy one?

the ibanez pickups aren't great.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?