How can you do this without making the strings sound dead? Even when I put the lightest palm mute I can on these strings, they sound dead...any suggestions?

-KR
put your hand as far away from the fret board as possibble. The closer the PM is to the fret board the more muted a note is.
Start by putting your picking palm completely on the bridge, not even touching the strings at all. Then slowly, slowwwwwly move your palm closer to the strings, until you're just slightly touching. It's probably an easier test than starting muted and going backwards towards the bridge. I don't know, just a suggestion.
it could even be ur guitar cuz when i had my squiere i could barely do good sounding palmmutes on any of the strings
Quote by bTOMd
it could even be ur guitar cuz when i had my squiere i could barely do good sounding palmmutes on any of the strings

Well, I have a Squier Strat and can make it sound okay, but I get my distortion from a pedal if that is a factor.
Quote by kirbyrocknroll
Well, I have a Squier Strat and can make it sound okay, but I get my distortion from a pedal if that is a factor.

It shouldn't be. In fact, the more distortion you have (usually using a pedal gives you more distortion than normal), the easier palm mutes are to do. I'm not sure what it is, though... it's weird...