i have been told that the d-tuna only works with original floyd rose tremelos.
however, a person at my school has a musicman axis with a d-tuna. on musicman's website they claim the guitar only has a licensed floyd rose, not an original.

is it possible this person swapped the licensed floyd rose for an original?
or is it possible to use a d-tuna with a licensed floyd rose aswell?

anyone clarification would be greatly appreciated.
is it just the floating ones they don't work with?

because ive seen to different styles of d-tunas for two different types of floyd roses:

its used to drop tunings from standard to D and back again i think. pretty useful cos floyd roses can be a bastard to change tunings on!
its used to drop tunings from standard to D and back again i think. pretty useful cos floyd roses can be a ba*tard to change tunings on!
i do it all the time on my bc rich zombie with a floyd, except i just do it, i dont use a d-tuna
dont you need to unlock it and then lock it back up again?

d-tuna just takes out a bit of hassle and by using it switch tunings instantly.
Is there like, any other ones? Like a c-tuna or something? And you can just put that on a floyd rose?
im not 100% clear on how they are used, but i know that you need a certain type of floyd rose - either the original or a licensed one, none of the knock off ones.

i saw the guy at my school, mentioned up there ^^, using it once. he basically screwed it on then twisted it to drop the tuning. it looked pretty nifty.

i guess if you used it a certain way it could work for a different tuning. any info from someone who knows?
Cause lately I find myself switching from standard to C#,F#,B,E,G#,C#, would that thing be able to do that? Anyone know?
it only does the bottom string. i think.

cos thats the only place you screw this "gizmo" into.
the trem has to be set up not to float (dive only) and it must be an original style one, not low profile...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
can yu suggest some guitars with the original tremelo so i can check them out. cheers.

what do you mean set up to "dive"?
^ set up so you can't raise the pitch with the trem.

what's your price range for the guitar?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
max about £500, but i could stretch to £600.
anything lower than £500 would be good tho

ive been playing for a few years now.
its just drop d

edit: and dave its possible on a recessed trem if you route out extra space for the d-tuna since Schecter had done it on one of their guitars
it probably is quite easy, but you need to lock it and unlock it. the d-tuna just saves time especially if you are gigging. saves running off for a backup.

to "azn_guitarist25": what schecter guitar was it done on?

also how do you set up the tremelo to dive instead of float? or do they just come like that and you can't change it?
Last edited by the memory at Jul 10, 2006,
Quote by YYZ
You can't even drop D on a floyd rose easily?

if you do it properly you can get to drop d with just the fine tuners
Yeah, But the rest of the strings go out of tune slightly. And I'm Paranoid about being out of tune.
Quote by Tarzan_man
Yeah, But the rest of the strings go out of tune slightly. And I'm Paranoid about being out of tune.

have you tried using the tremol-no ?
Quote by the memory
max about £500, but i could stretch to £600.
anything lower than £500 would be good tho

ive been playing for a few years now.

washburn x40 pro (£379, www.machinehead.co.uk ) or schecter C1fr ( www.soundcontrol.co.uk )would be worth a look.

you have to set it up not to float- you need it flush against the guitar with it level, so you actively CAN'T pull up on it to raise the pitch. Those guitars are recessed though (a cavity for the trem, i.e. it's set up to float), so it may be nigh-on impossible to get it like that. Though, the d-tuna is quite long and more than likely will overhang the recess, so you might manage it. EDIT: or you can sometimes put a little screw under the trem, inside the route, to prevent it from floating. You may need a neck shim too (a little bit of wood stuck under the neck in the bolt-on socket, to raise its height).

Or, the easiest option (as azn says) would probably be a tremel-no, you can get it from www.allparts.uk.com - you can set up your trem to not float by pulling a few knobs on it. Actually, come to think of it, that's probably the best option. Since with a pull of the knob, it's fully floating again. What you'd do is set up the trem to balance in E. then when you want to use the d-tuner, flick the tremel-no to "dive only" or "hardtail" mode, and engage the d-tuna.

That'd be the best option, it'll cost about £50, maybe. It should work, as far as I know.

Sorry for all the technical jargon, but it'd be 5 times as long without it...
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
your funny dave a hellraiser c1-fr cant get a neck shim because its a set neck. but the x40 i dont know about
^ good point. But the x40pro is bolt-on, afaik.

Oh, and I can't find the tremel-no on that site. Maybe try the american version? I think it's the handiest way to do it, to be honest.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
oh dave you can have a floyd recessed while still using the d-tuna its possible but looks really weird imo. you just gotta route out more space behind the low e string so that you have space to bend up the trem
^ nah, but engaging the d-tuna knocks all the other strings out of tune slightly as it messes up the balance.

I thought you could just route it out a little for the d-tuna when I first got one too... (didn't do it, as I'm lazy, i just took it off, but anyway, I prefer full-floating to d-tuna anyway...)
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
i might sound stupid here, but are there any guitars that come ready to use a d-tuna without any hassle of changing bits of them? or setting them up properly?

any suggestions would be greatly appreciated as i am fairly inexperienced with changing parts on a guitar.

also roughly how much does the d-tuna itself cost?
^ dunno th cost of a dtuna, i'd assume under £50.

My kramer came with one, but it wasn't set up very well, and as far as I could tell, it wasn't set up for dive-only. ( ) Other than that, I'm not sure. Some of the old second hand EVH models (musicman/kramer)? Or the Musicman guitars with floyds are set up not to float, you could add a d-tuna to that. might be the handiest, if you need a d-tuna. You lose pull up, though. I think the new kramer EVH models have it too.

Of course, if you get a guitar set up to float, even if you do get the tremel-no, the route might be too deep, so the dtuna might not fit.

basically, unless you're willing to fork out for a musicman, it's probably more bother than it's worth... EDIT: i mean, if you're inexperienced.

How often do you use drop d?

How often do you play in standard?
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
i play quite a bit in both mainly because im into a wide range of music.

the person in my school has a musicman axis, they are pretty neat but ive only seen them for about £1,000 *cringes*
^ yes, they're dear.

you really need to decide, to be honest.

easiest thing to do is just get a normal floyd guitar, get a tremel-no, and when you want to go down to drop-d, set it to dive only or hard-tail. other than unlocking and relocking the clamps at the nut (which takes about seconds) it'll be exactly the same as a non-floyd. That's what I'd do. And then when you want to go back to e, you have the option of full floating, if you want it.

Way easier than a d-tuna, if what I've been told about the tremel-no is true (and I have no reason to doubt what I've been told about it).
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
^ cool, thanks, that's why I couldn't find it.

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?