Hey, just a quick question. What do you guys know about Hiwatt amps? Like.. what music are they suited for. Everything I hear from them sounds a little Marshally, and is usually used for blues rock, but I want to know how much overal overdrive it can get.
yeah I played one at a shop, it was pretty nice.
it had "High Gain" on it, but it wasn't that high-gain imo (maybe if it was cranked a bit more...).
It could do rock and hardrock for sure!
Vintage Hiwatts are very good. they are known for their loudness and headroom. Some of there more well known users are Dave Gilmour and Pete Townsend. The newer solid state small Hiwatts shouldn't even be called Hiwatts. Otherwise, check out ones from the 60's and 70's
Both of those guys have signature Hiwatts, based off of the originals with added cool things. The Dave Gilmour one has like... 30 EQ controls, and the P-T one has an extra higher gain mode.

Err.. k, hows this. I love Cleans, and I love spongy over drive. Will a Hiwatt.. er.. get me there? (My music is like.. classic rock, blues, jazz, some hard rock thrown in, and some more modern sounding stuff, which, unfortunately I would normally put into the genre of indie, which.. I dont like..) I also play metal, but that's not this amp's purpose.
yeah but back in the day they used stock ones (I'm not sure if Gilmour is even using his sig one at the moment?)

overall: Tons and tons of clean headroom.

how much gain do they have? not a lot, listen to The Who - Live at Leeds (and even there Pete Townshend is using a fuzz pedal half of the time)

they also respond very well to effects being used, as demonstrated by Gilmour (but I remember something about it not liking digital effects, only analog ones...or that may have been an Orange)

They don't have a Marshally vibe to them (as Marshally is a very recognizable sound...and if you want that get a Marshall, the old ones without the master volume actually have got some rather nice cleans, not jazzy but still good).
Last edited by seljer at Jul 9, 2006,
Well Hiwatt can do rock, blues and jazz easly, should get to hard rock with an OD.
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
its funny how everybody says they play ____, ____, ____, and metal; so basically they limit themselves on the amps that will work for them. Forget about "metal" if you are thinking about investing in an old Hiwatt.
Well Pete has some nice Distortion on Won't et fooled Again (the live one) which is froma cranked HiWatt, but as said, they don't have enough for metal.
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
Quote by Gabel
Well Pete has some nice Distortion on Won't et fooled Again (the live one) which is froma cranked HiWatt, but as said, they don't have enough for metal.

Err, Like I said. That wouldn't be the purpose of the amp, unless I had nothing else (eg, sometimes im too lazy to hit the overdrive on my Traynor, so ill just play metal with only light overdrive or clean).

This'd be more like a gigging with a softer band/looking cool/having great tone/bored so im looking the amp up.
They're pretty brit-pop sounding to me........ Well... that coldplay guitarist uses them !!
Tone is all ...... well probably 75%, in your fingers.
The rest depends on your wallet's thickness !!

Keep the faith, baby!!
^Nope, the Coldplay bassist uses them actually.

And I've not played one, but I've seen quite a few, and heard them before, and they're clean/blues/classic rock amps (I'm talking about the old Hitwatts), might get metal type gain with a few OD's.

Try one out though, only you can tell if you'll like one.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
They're supposed to be excellent, but reallllly expensive.
*Taylor 214ce Acoustic
*Fender Highway One Honey Blonde Strat (Fralin Pickups)
*Epiphone Zephyr Regent (Gibson '57 Humbucker)
*Vox 847 Wah
*Fulltone Fulldrive 2 MOSFET
*Fender Blues Deluxe Amp