Im looking to get a killswitch installed on my les paul, where would i buy one??? Ive already been all through ebay and many guitar online stores and NONE of tehm have kill switches...help would be appreciated
its an effect installed directly into the guitar... you can either have it looking like a button (kinda like a tone knob) or a switch (like the tone and rhythem switch) and when pressed or switched it shuts off your rig, releasing turns back on, so when pressed quickly or toggled, it creates a studdering sound, reall cool sound
Quote by Ignite
I still can't believe after all the time I spend on UG, I STILL don't know what a killswitch is. Anyone care to explain?

A Killswitch is a switch that is in signal line between the pickup and the output jack. When you press the switch it cuts the singal. So there is no signal comming out ot the output jack.
Quote by Man_In_The_Box
learn some green day. they are totally brutal.
a killswitch basically cuts your signal when activated/used, can be used to create a tremelo effect by rapidly pushing it ala tom morello and buckethead being prime examples, buckethead used an actual button, morello just turned his neck pickup off using the volume control and used the standard toggle switch.

edit: sorry i didnt see the replies
Can't you just do the same by turning the rhythm volume pot to 0 and switching between treble and and treble-rhythm? or vice versa
why not just buy a switch from radioshak ot maplin and wire it in one of the wires goin to the output jack???
Quote by Danno13

Go cut your wrists or whatever it is you emo kids do for fun, I'm not helping you.

member of UG's gain \/\/hores- pmgpderek09 to join
If you have a LP, try turning one pickup's volume to zero and keep the other at a normal level, and then use your toggle switch to alternate between the bridge and neck pickups really fast. I have no idea whether this works or not because I only play acoustic, but I am pretty sure that's how Tom Morello does it on the "Bulls on Parade" solo.
Quote by STEEL__dragon
its an effect installed directly into the guitar... you can either have it looking like a button (kinda like a tone knob) or a switch (like the tone and rhythem switch) and when pressed or switched it shuts off your rig, releasing turns back on, so when pressed quickly or toggled, it creates a studdering sound, reall cool sound

Sounds pretty Sweet Where can i get one
ok, well does anyone know how to get a killswitch??? whihch was my original question, not other ways to make the effect
Quote by STEEL__dragon
ok, well does anyone know how to get a killswitch??? whihch was my original question, not other ways to make the effect

Just go to Radioshack, buy a button and some wire, and then do it yourself.
Here's what you do:

Take the wire leading from the pickups to the jack and cut it in half. Wire one half (the pickup side) to the switch. Then wire the jack side to one switch way, and wire the other way to something metal, like a bridge or whatever (I wired mine to some metal on my pickup selector). Ta da! Killswitch! Techies feel free to elaborate.
o, i thought there was a premade set, with like a button and wire and everything wth installati0oinstructions
Quote by STEEL__dragon
o, i thought there was a premade set, with like a button and wire and everything wth installati0oinstructions

No, unless you're a "DJ guitarist" like Tom Morello, or my guitarist, its more of just a flashy thing than and actual effect.
no you have to get a button switch thats normally closed, then install it and do something to the wiring, its a pain
Just buy Planet Waves Circuit Breakers, they have a built-in kill switch and are great (plus no body modification.)
Quote by sethp
listen to RideTheAnger, he is wise beyond his years.

A recent study shows that 92% of all teenagers have moved on to rap music. Put this in your profile if you are one of the 8% who stayed with the real music
Quote by RideTheAnger13
Just buy Planet Waves Circuit Breakers, they have a built-in kill switch and are great (plus no body modification.)

That would give you the same effect as pulling the cable out of the guitar, minus the buzz, and thats hard to pull off like you can pull off the kill switching.