Im thinking about retiring my (borrowed) old and battered Hohner JJ. Ive checkes out loads of models, and have found this Fender on budget reach (must say that i live in Portugal, so my budget is like $560 for the bass + $130 for shipping cost + 21% VAT)

Im a sucker for looks...and this babys got it all . But looks arent everything...it must sound right too...im into blues rock n punk - being a hybrid model, it should be good enough to sweep me away in any of those styles right?

If you had the same budget, would you choose this model? If not, why not, which one would you pick n why?

Tks for ur help
Well, it should be good for punk, being a P-bass and all. I don't know about anything else though.
i have owned a Fender Jazz Deluxe Jazz V, mim. it was very nice. i assume the "P" version would be equally as nice. i play punk, metal, blues, and, classic rock, on my Highway 1 Jazz. it does very well.
Buy it...I did, best bass I've played, and the neck pickup sounds so f'ing big...!!

The EQ is really versatile, and the neck is sleeker-than-sleek...

I have one reservation...the J-bass pickup is weak, and doesn't really sound any better than the cheap as chips Jazz pickup in my Yamaha...
Quote by fake_sk8r182
Buy it...I did, best bass I've played, and the neck pickup sounds so f'ing big...!!

The EQ is really versatile, and the neck is sleeker-than-sleek...

I have one reservation...the J-bass pickup is weak, and doesn't really sound any better than the cheap as chips Jazz pickup in my Yamaha...

Wire in an extra battery then
Quote by Ihearthetfield
it's GREAT you get a combination of p and j bass sounds.

not really, you can't get that Neck J sound
Cort lover of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join.
On cheating in a relationship...

Quote by metaldud536
If he doesn't use a gameshark, it's not cheating.

I'm a non-regular regular old user.
so its not a problem its mexican built? ive been told thats kind of like a russian roulette...i might get lucky...or not :\
It's not that much of a problem. All of the Fender mexican series I've played have been able to hold up to the more expensive models.
Its an excellent bass in my opinion, extremely versatile and stuff. However, not a big fan of the gold pickguard. If you get it, go with black. Otherwise yeah i think it will fit your styles.
Quote by skater dan0
...and the bassist comes up to the EQ and moves all the sliders into the typical smiley face pattern and in a really thick Jamaican accent said "you can't have de bass without de smiley face"
I have it, brilliant bass. full recoomendation here.
Gear

Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Fender MIA Precision
Musicman Bongo
Boss TU-2
EBS TD650
EBS ProLine 2x10 x 2
Quote by fake_sk8r182
...which would boost both pickups equally...so they would still be unbalanced, therefore the Jazz pickup would still be weaker in comparison

Well I know that, I mean you could put a push/pull on the pickup balance knob or some other switch though. Failing that you could raise the pickup, but I'm sure you've tried that.
Quote by smb
Well I know that, I mean you could put a push/pull on the pickup balance knob or some other switch though. Failing that you could raise the pickup, but I'm sure you've tried that.

I have tried it, but cheers for the advice on the push/pull (sorry if I seem/seemed arsey - long day coupled with severe lack of sleep )

Don't worry about it!

Anyway, I was all set to get this model but tried out some other basses and figured I'd go for a semi-hollow instead. When I've got some cash and don't need anything else, this is on the list.

Plus Nick Oliveri plays one of these (red, obviously)
Meh...Im not a big fan of Fenders. I think there overpriced as well as overatedIm sure you could find something better for a little higher maybe a tad lower.