i've had an idea that i really wanna do but i'm not sure whether or not it could work so i just wanted to know what you guys think. Anyways, what i want to do is put LED's in the holes where the fret inlays are, then they would be hooked up to a switch that would be located somewhere on the body or possibly the headstock. would this be possible? i have a friend who could make me the circuit but i don't know how i would get all the wires inside the guitar withough wrecking it to shreds.
Quote by Martyr's Prayer
I got crap to do, okay? Counter-Strike isn't going to play itself.
do you have any idea how I could put the wires from the LED's down the neck? I have no idea at all other than putting them going down the side of the neck somewhere.
Quote by Martyr's Prayer
you could problably put them in your truss rod cavity and take and drill a hole through your necks heel, then into your body and into a cavity with the electrics and batterys and stuff.
if i had the circuit made, would i be able to take it to any kind of professional person to fit it? messing with the truss rod is a bit too far out of my league

EDIT: This sounds way more hard than i thought it would be =p
Quote by Martyr's Prayer
I think they have a guitar kinda like that. They have LEDs for each fret, so supposidly it'd help you learn songs. I don't think it sold too well.

But anyways, What you'd have to do is remove your fretboard or make a route on the back of the neck, remove the inlays, and drill holes to place the LEDs, then put the inlays back in.

Though, don't take my word for it, I'm no luthier. It's just my best guess on how you'd have to go about it.
i was thinking of just drilling a hole from the top of the fretboard into the neck so that it was deep enough to fit the LED in then putting some kind of clear filling or something so that it wont feel weird playing on those frets. it probably won't work but it seemed quite plausable after my shisha today
Quote by Martyr's Prayer
It can be done, I've seen a couple of places that do it for you, something like $300 or $400.

If you're brave enough to do it yourself:
-you have to remove the fretboard
-drill out the old inlays
-mount in the LEDs, fill any space around them with epoxy or something, sand them down so its all flat (I'm not sure if this would require also removing the frets, which would then be the hardest thing on here)
-make a small channel or something in the back of the fretboard to run the wires, or possibly down the trussrod channel
-drill a hole that goes from the neck cavity to the pickup cavity to run the wires to the battery
-mount a switch in there somewhere

those first 3 ones are the hard ones
Ever heard of sam rivers?

I've seen people who'll do it for you on ebay for about £200.
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
Quote by seljer
It can be done, I've seen a couple of places that do it for you, something like $300 or $400.

If you're brave enough to do it yourself:
-you have to remove the fretboard
-drill out the old inlays
-mount in the LEDs, fill any space around them with epoxy or something, sand them down so its all flat (I'm not sure if this would require also removing the frets, which would then be the hardest thing on here)
-make a small channel or something in the back of the fretboard to run the wires, or possibly down the trussrod channel
-drill a hole that goes from the neck cavity to the pickup cavity to run the wires to the battery
-mount a switch in there somewhere

those first 3 ones are the hard ones

im guessing it's harder than it sounds? for some reason it doesnt sound that hard to me but seeing as ive never done anything like this before i think it's very likely i'll screw it up big time i really want it to work but i don't really wanna splash out the cash to have it done professionally (im a poor student )
Quote by Martyr's Prayer
do you know any websites that ship to UK or are in the UK?
Quote by Martyr's Prayer
Well if you're not up for the challenge (I know I definitely wouldn't) you can get it done here:
http://www.simscustom.com/

you can also order just the neck form there with the LEDs already fitted and all you need to do is drill a hole in the neck cavity, saving you a lot of work.
"Led Zeppelin didn't write tunes that every one liked. They left that to the Bee Gees"
Last edited by mockjam at Jul 9, 2006,
Damn i wish i twasn't so expensive on that website, they look really cool but that's just way out of my price limit
Quote by Martyr's Prayer
Quote by pass2
Sounds like a novel idea, but it would get old in like 5 minutes when your done. But it would take alot more time then it's worth.
But if you want to, I wouldn't stop there, why not put LEDs all over the guitar? Or even a light matrix running up and down the neck.
Here is a web-site where you can get cheap LEDS.

i already have plans for the rest of the guitar, although they're not really set in stone. I'm gonna put glow in the dark paint on it aswell on most of the hardware and frets so it'll be glowing like a fire when i gig in the dark
Quote by Martyr's Prayer
I was gonna do that but i decided in the daytime it would just like a kid's toy 'cos of the colour (mind you it looks like that anyway!)
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
i keep gettin called an immature little Shit anyway so i don't mind it looking like a kids toy
Quote by Martyr's Prayer
Swineshead are now making glow in the dark pickups if you ever need them for this guitar
my Initials are ET

i dont Know how to add pic man?
Last edited by ETmyday at Jul 9, 2006,
^ you can't link from your hard drive

and PLEASE dont use BMPS
Cort lover of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join.
On cheating in a relationship...

Quote by metaldud536
If he doesn't use a gameshark, it's not cheating.

I'm a non-regular regular old user.