I'm thinking about what guitar amp to aim for next (currently have a Line 6 Spider 15.... which is okay for practice) and I've been looking at the Marshall DLS401. Is this any good as a first valve amp? I'm into Indie, Classic Rock, Hard Rock and Metal.

http://www.guitarstrings.co.uk/cart/product.asp?key=51892

Budget is really around anything, but not higher than £500. I want to be able to save up for this! (I suck at saving :P)
It's a nice amp... I'd still reccomend a used 900 over it though, as the 900 has better stock speakers, and likely more power - you could get a 100 watt 2x12 combo used for that price, which will own the dsl.

Good luck man

Jimbob78
Quote by Skraeling86
That's a lot of booze. Frankly, I'm impressed. You're of a stronger timber than the average man, jimbob! Hail you.

Quote by Bubban
Yes you should go to a doctor, fucking moron. We can't do anything about your hemorrhoid.

Yea, a used JCM900 (try Dual Reverb model 4100) would be better and cheaper, but it depends. JCM2000 if you like more modern sound, JCM900 if you like classic rock, and a more vintage tone.
Quote by call1800ksmyazz
Yea, a used JCM900 (try Dual Reverb model 4100) would be better and cheaper, but it depends. JCM2000 if you like more modern sound, JCM900 if you like classic rock, and a more vintage tone.

+1 for the JCM900, though I am a more classic rock guy
Joel come here and defend your amp!

My JCM900 is awesome, cna easly do that.
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
I see. But if I am aiming for more modern sounding music, I would aim for the JCM2000? I'm building a taste for metal and shred atm, so I think maybe I'll just try out the DSL401. I'll need to play both in the end anyway
I had a DSL 401 AND I have compared it to a JCM 900 combo.. The 401 hase more gain and sounded erhhmm.. what to say.. a bit thicker had more sustain etc... The sustain of the JCM 900 was dissapoiting (don't flame me please :P) but thats just me... Id chose the 401 over the JCM 900. BUT the thing don't really cut it.. it didn't for me.. not enough gain for metal for example.. could do it with a boost.. but the distortion is kinda dissapoiting in a long run.. Get something else I'd say with a decent distortion! try out some traynors!
try the hughes and kettner edition tube as well, if 20 watts is enough. I hear good things about it.

how heavy metal do you play?

I'm not too fussed on the dsl401... if i were you, I'd raise my budget a little, or else lower it to £400 (you can get the 401 for around £400).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I don't really have a budget, just saying £500 would probably be a limit. Metal, I'm liking Metallica and Alterbridge more, may move onto Slayer later. I'm just looking for something good to use for a while, I'm not gonna gig anytime soon. I don't mind looking at other brands, I just saw the Marshall on the site

I'll look into the amp above, thasnk
^ well, if you can't get any more than £500, unless you go used, you're pretty much limited to that H & K (if it even does metal, I'm far from sure, I haven't tried it!), the marshall and the ashdown fallen angel...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Yar, I don't mind going used. Used is good, can get lots of great stuff at low low prices

I'll check out some more amps in the meantime.... Also, couldn't I get more gain for metal from using pedals or something?
^ yeah, use an overdrive pedal to boost the overdrive channel.

But if you're willing to go used, check out an engl screamer combo. Now.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
^ i guess about £450 for the screamer (depends whether you get the 6-button footswitch, it goes for about £100 new, so judge the price based on that, lol), and the dsl goes for about £400 new, so i suppose £250-£300 second hand.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Alright, I've set my goals then for my next amp... Engl Screamer or Marshall DSL401 used... just need to earn my cash now

In the mean time, I'll probably upgrade my Epi Custom pickups with Swineheads

BTW, thanks very much for your fast posting Dave_mc True ownage
^ no problem. And swineys also own in mid-priced guitars- you won't get better for the price (or indeed for quite a bit more!) over here. At least from what I've tried...
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?