So yeah.. I'm working on my vocals. Right now I'm trying to get a sound close to Miles Kennedy's from Alterbridge.. amazing voice, amazing singer.

I'm trying to hit the high note in Broken Wings, it's the first line of the chorus..

"On broken wings I'm falling, and it won't be long.."

That note on "won't" I can't seem to hit properly. I can sing the verse and most of the rest of the song properly (achieving that type of sound, without sounding nasaly).

When I try hitting that note, I just can't help but "singing out of my nose".

It sounds horrible when I do that.. any suggestions as far as trying to build up my range to hit it?
Drink some no-pulp Orange Juice and try again. Clears out the throut good... Now if that doesn't work there's a chance that you simply don't have the range to hit that note. Most people don't have even half of the range nessisary to sing the "Star Spangled Banner", so if you can do that you've got more than 80% of the worlds population.
Quote by RadioMuse
Drink some no-pulp Orange Juice and try again. Clears out the throut good... Now if that doesn't work there's a chance that you simply don't have the range to hit that note. Most people don't have even half of the range nessisary to sing the "Star Spangled Banner", so if you can do that you've got more than 80% of the worlds population.

I know this shouldn't even be here. But I need to address this.

First off: The orange juice thing is bull****, it won't help at all.

Second off: ANYONE, yes, ANYONE, can build up their range. Saying that 80% don't have the range for the Star Spangled Banner is ridiculous, because they could if they wanted to. Plus, how could you measure that? I'll tell you, you can't.

Two hugely ignorant statements. Range isn't something you're constricted by, it's how far you can go at the current moment. It's like standardized testing compared to an IQ test really.