Hey guys, I have just come off of ebay and bought a Maverick X5 Dave Pybus Limited edition model.

It's one of 20 ever built 5 string model of Dave Pybus's bass used with Cradle Of Filth. I am not huge on death metal and will be using it in a melodic rock/metal band. ITS MY BACKUP FOR MY JOHN MYUNG MODEL.

I managed to get it for £200 brand new when marks music sells them for about £600.

Has anyone played on Maverick basses at all? Are they sort of Generic Ibanez/yamaha type basses?

With regards to the sound, I know from looking at the generic pickups it will have a probably generic tone. I played on a spector with Real deal EMG's on it. However when i look at active pickups on basses i find that they come in many different sizes. What are the official sizes of active pickups ( there are thin and thick humbuckers etc) So where can i find Real deal EMGs the same sort of size and shape as the ones on this bass?

Also looking at the specs the bass has a maple and bubinga fretboard. Now i love a bright sound. However i though bubinga had a dark tone? Is this true? I like a cleaner but near enough Geddy Lee tone. Etc.

And... What do you guys think.. I know its pointy so dont go Yeeeeuucch :P .

So essentially. What are your impressions on Maverick basses? And where can i get EMG 5 string pups that will ship to the UK at a decent price, that will fit the pickup cavitys in this bass?

One problem i am worrying about is that i like to wear my basses high. With the neck at an angle upwards, rather then to the side and without much of an upper horn it couldbe a problem. I might have to invest in a really grippy strap. What do you think?

I usually use really cheap straps as i like the bass to move around a bit as well. So i have no ideas on Grippy straps and what i should be looking for to keep the bass at the angle i need.

This is how i hold my bass at a live show.

Expect a Bass of the month when it gets here through the post!

Cheers!

Fake Edit: Heres the specs.

2 x piece centre joint basswood body
Canadian Maple / Bubinga neck
Double octave 24 fret
AAA grade Indian Rosewood fingerboard
Evolution roller controls
S5 humbucking pick-ups
3 band EQ Bass, Mid, Treble
Pedulla MVP5
Gibson Grabber
Warmoth Antigua PJ
Ovation Magnum 1
Quote by mangablade
whats the string spacing on it?

Wasent given, However I did mention it in a email about the G string being close to the edge of the fretboard and the shop said the techs will set it up so it wont be. Even if they dont change it i can easily put a shim or pack in the Nut on the treble end to keep the G away from the edge.

String spacing looks reasonably wide to me. The neck cant be as big as the myungs
Pedulla MVP5
Gibson Grabber
Warmoth Antigua PJ
Ovation Magnum 1
Quote by Asomodai
Wasent given, However I did mention it in a email about the G string being close to the edge of the fretboard and the shop said the techs will set it up so it wont be. Even if they dont change it i can easily put a shim or pack in the Nut on the treble end to keep the G away from the edge.

String spacing looks reasonably wide to me. The neck cant be as big as the myungs

i dont like reasonably wide

it's probly gonna feel more like a yamaha than in ibanez (in the SR series anyway), cuz the SR has small thin necks with very small string spacing. (which i love).

anyway, for 200 pounds, a generic 5 stringer with a cool body (subjective, i like it tho), buckers and a 3 band EQ, aint bad.
Quote by mangablade
i dont like reasonably wide

it's probly gonna feel more like a yamaha than in ibanez (in the SR series anyway), cuz the SR has small thin necks with very small string spacing. (which i love).

anyway, for 200 pounds, a generic 5 stringer with a cool body (subjective, i like it tho), buckers and a 3 band EQ, aint bad.

Hey wait didnt you have a John myung mk1? That has wide string spacing!

Nvm, must be getting you mixed up with someone else.
Pedulla MVP5
Gibson Grabber
Warmoth Antigua PJ
Ovation Magnum 1
Well I've never seen any maverick basses in any of the stores I've ever been in so I can't really comment on their basses.
I have however played a number of Maverick guitars and found them to be exceptional quality, especially for the price.

Sorry I couldn't answer any of your other questions.
"Led Zeppelin didn't write tunes that every one liked. They left that to the Bee Gees"
Last edited by mockjam at Jul 9, 2006,