well right now i have an affinity strat with the stock pickups and ive been thinking about getting some better ones... but idk wut kinda i should get idk rly anything about pickups so any suggestions?
go onto the paul reed smith website they have a ton of pickups

what my friend did with his strat was buy some texas single coils and used that to replace his affinity pickups, and as far as i know the tone is really good, but i dont know who makes them
Quote by jazkel24

Any bands you're trying to copy/sound like?
Here we go again...

1. What type of music do you play
2. What amp do you have
3. What config do u want/have (HSS, SSS, etc.)
Fender make the Texas pickups. Seymour Duncans are another popular choice but considering the cost of a new set of 3 pickups relative to the cost and quality of a Squier Affinity Strat (my brother has one and I think it has an appauling feel), I'd recommend saving up for a new guitar entirely.
Love is not a victory march.
So What kind of music do you play? and maybe the rest of us could help yah!!!

T8er
hmm mostly shred (i know strat isnt a shred guitar but) classic rock some progressive metal i guess you could say the pick ups are s/s/s and i have a fender frontman
im hopefully getting a new guitar soon if i can get the money for it, but i still plan on using my strat so...
Go with seymour duncans, for shred or the dimarzio evolution they have a great frequency range. Do you have humbuckers, or single coils? Humbuckers are great for shred
Quote by C.C. Deville
hmm mostly shred (i know strat isnt a shred guitar but) classic rock some progressive metal i guess you could say the pick ups are s/s/s and i have a fender frontman

You won't get the best out of a decent set of pickups with a Fender frontman amp, nor is shred ideally suited to single coil pickups. I don't mean to sound patronising here, but have you ever played a guitar other than your strat? I'm not kidding around, my brother's 2 year-old Affinity Strat is THE WORST ELECTRIC GUITAR I HAVE EVER PLAYED and I would sooner buy a better guitar more suited to my style of music than keep it and upgrade the pickups, even if it means saving up for longer.
Last edited by shakysam at Jul 9, 2006,
yes i have im saving for an ibanez s470 but for now i got this, i still find my strat good for classic rock and some blues and stuff but yeah shred isnt so good for a strat...
Quote by C.C. Deville
yes i have im saving for an ibanez s470 but for now i got this, i still find my strat good for classic rock and some blues and stuff but yeah shred isnt so good for a strat...

Good plan, perhaps you could put the pickup money towards a better amp instead, since that'll not only improve your tone considerably with the strat, but it will also help you get the most out of your Ibanez when you can afford it.
I find that small solid-state amps (don't feel alone here, we've all owned them) lack the projection necessary for good drive and distortion, but larger ones do. I own a Marshall MG100 and whilst looking back on it I wouldn't buy it again, it's 12" speaker does a good job of getting what tone I can out of it.

I would suggest going down to your local guitar shop (or the closest one with a good selection of amps) with your strat, trying a bunch out and seeing if you like the difference they make to your tone. From there you can decide if a new amp would be a viable option and if not, you've at least spent the day playing a few uber-expensive amps, amongst the rest, that only those with 6 figure salaries can afford.