Well as many of you know I am working on customizing my old Peavey Raptor into a Stormtrooper themed guitar. In this guitar I plan to put an LED that flashes brighter the louder you play. Someone gave me a schematic that looked like this

So I circled some unlabeled parts and I was wondering If anyone could tell me what they think should go there. Also I assume that one of the Diodes is a LED but I don't know which one, could someone point it out? And I havent used integrated circuits before so could someone give me the basic on what they are and their purpose and if I have to get a certain kind of IC?

You can probably tell that I am not the most electronically educated person in the world, but I'd like to learn more about it so if anyoen could reccomend a book on Electronic Theory that'd be great. Thanks in advance
Quote by spazzymagee417
i would pay more for a midget corpse than an average size corpse
not sure what the wiggly line is, but the triangle with a line are some sort of diode
Wiggly line is a resistor. Most likely your volume potentionmeter. I would think the LED would be wired so what ever you have the volume on, the brightness increases/decreses, but I'm not too sure.
I know what resistors and diodes are but one of the diodes is an LED and I don't know which one (I think the one with "~" over it) and taht one resistor is unlabeled as to the amount of resistance
Quote by spazzymagee417
Quote by call1800ksmyazz
The thing all the way to the right that says Ge above it, is a Germanium Transistor. Didnt THat_Pink_Queen make this for you? Ask him.

He found it for me, I don't think he made it but you're right I probably should ask him. I think taht for the Germanium diode I'll use a 1N34A.
Quote by spazzymagee417
That schemactic for an envelope follower is a bit of excess for just lighting up some LEDs, let me work up something simpler.

edit: how many LEDs? this directly on the guitar?
Last edited by seljer at Jul 9, 2006,
Quote by Tedrick
I know what resistors and diodes are but one of the diodes is an LED and I don't know which one (I think the one with "~" over it) and taht one resistor is unlabeled as to the amount of resistance

I would think it's a repeat of a previous path, so whatever the labeling is for the 2mz or 2m2 resistors (that's what they appear to be) go with that.
Quote by seljer
That schemactic for an envelope follower is a bit of excess for just lighting up some LEDs, let me work up something simpler.

edit: how many LEDs?

Just one, it's actually supposed to make the LED light up brighter the louder I play, I didn't make it and I don't know if it works so if you know of something you think would work better please post it.

Quote by SuperAnalytical
I would think it's a repeat of a previous path, so whatever the labeling is for the 2mz or 2m2 resistors (that's what they appear to be) go with that.

Dude, it's a diode... the one that looks like this

~
-|>|-

EDIT: Oh, you're talking about the resistor, yeah you're probably right
Quote by spazzymagee417
Last edited by Tedrick at Jul 9, 2006,
This is going to be mounted directly on your guitar?

I'm working out something with a dual opamp that will also double as a buffer (eg: you won't loose any tone even if you run long cables), I could probably even work a basic booster into it if you wanted
I still don't get integrated circuits... Could someone explain them?
Quote by spazzymagee417
Quote by seljer
This is going to be mounted directly on your guitar?

I'm working out something with a dual opamp that will also double as a buffer (eg: you won't loose any tone even if you run long cables), I could probably even work a basic booster into it if you wanted

yeah it is, though I don't really know how it is going to work, I ahve no idea what I am doing, I just ahve this schematic. But yeah I'd love a schematic that you've drawn up
Quote by spazzymagee417
Good luck seljer, this is actually the best solution by far...what's your alternate idea?
I'm not very active here on UG currently.
I'm a retired Supermod off to the greener pastures of the real world.
http://eecs.vanderbilt.edu/courses/eece116/opamp.JPG
NOTE: this isn't the pinout for the opamp you actually need, it's just an example.
IC stands for integrated circuit. It's basically a chip that you can plug into a socket, or solder onto a board. In this case, the IC you need is clearly some type of opamp.

I'm not quite sure what kind of opamp you need. But given the pinouts, it's dual inline. Maybe something like a TL082CP? Any Dual JFET opamp should do the trick. But if you could find out which opamp you'd need, that'd prob. be best.

I'll let seljer take care of the unknown circuit values.
just incase you planned to make it on stripboard, i created a layout for you. However, i'm not sure if this is right so would one of the electrical genius' here have a look at it for me? I'm 95% sure its right but im still getting used to putting things on veroboard.

clicky clicky to make big and pretty

thanks
Thanks so much sumoftwo, how'd you draw that?

So does anyone know where the LED goes?
Quote by spazzymagee417
Last edited by Tedrick at Jul 9, 2006,
im guessing the LED is the wavy one, however im not sure. I downloaded a program which lets you create veroboard layouts. i cant remeber the link, ill find it for you later.

I just tried a 3rd draught making it really compact but that failed but that may be because it is 3.20am here so im gonna go to bed now and i shall resume my quest to make an uber small layout for this in the morning.

laters.
right, i think i have made it as small as i can unless seljer insists that it can go much smaller.

(shows where components sit)

(shows where to cut the copper tracks)

hope thats alright.

EDIT: sorry for the double post.
Last edited by thesumoftwo at Jul 9, 2006,
yeah the wavy line is the LED it is supposed 2 b 2 arrows pointing outwards from the diode i.e. showing that light is emitting (light emitting diode L.E.D.) the other is a germanium diode. They r slightly harder 2 sorce, they would have used a germanium 4 its forward bias voltage is .2v where silicon is .6 (silicon general purpose will b the other diode u have marked) If u can get hole of a germaniun transistor u can use the emmiter collector junction as the diode it will work the same. The resistor u have marked onthe input of the 2nd op amp from my theory memory is 1/10th the feedback value or 2K2 ohms dont quote me its been 20 years, some1 can flame me if im wrong & that way u'll b right
Richard

Veni Vidi Vici

Head Drug Tester of Australians FTWclub
PM the_random_hero for entry

Prime Minister of the UG archtop acoustic players club,
PM Keef_is_King
to join!
Dix, thanks you so much! That is exactly what I wanted to know, now I can get started
Quote by spazzymagee417
Someone should make a guide to schematics *cough*That_pink_queen/seljer*cough*
Tears in waves, minds on fire
Nights alone by your side
So is everything all worked out then...?

And a guide to schematics might very well be a good idea.
I'm not very active here on UG currently.
I'm a retired Supermod off to the greener pastures of the real world.
Just so you know the circuit you want is whats called a color organ. If you have ever been to Disney World's Haunted Mansion you've seen one. They are used to make lights flash in synk with audio. In the case of the Haunted Mansion its thunder.
PM me with talkbox questions.

A study shows that 92% of all teenagers have moved on to rap music. Put this in your profile if you are one of the 8% who stayed with the real music
Quote by That_Pink_Queen
So is everything all worked out then...?

And a guide to schematics might very well be a good idea.

Yup thanks for the schem Pink, and thanks for the help everyone else, I just boguht the parts
Quote by spazzymagee417