ive tryed almost every configuration of settings and i cant get that metaly sound out of my bass. i dont mean metal like the music i meant the metal of the strings. i think it might be do to the fact that i have a bartolini mk1 pickup and i just cant produce the sound of the metal of the strings. im only asking because i like the strings to sound metaly wen i slap. so if some one could throw out some ways to get the metal sound of the strings by settings or action or anything it woudl be great...
strings: ghs b52's
bass: cort curbow
pickups: bartolini

i think im asking for someone to help me make my bass sound "junky" or twangy.
Increase the low and high mids. Should give you a more metallic tone.
Pedulla MVP5
Gibson Grabber
Warmoth Antigua PJ
Ovation Magnum 1
new strings. i use Rotosound Swing Bass 66's. very metalic, when they're new.

Edit: they mellow(less metalic) with age. usually 4 to 8 weeks.
Last edited by 83lespaulstudio at Jul 9, 2006,
Yeah, I put new Rotosounds on and they have that sound. It's not really what I want on the low strings but nice on the higher ones.
compression pedal, new strings, scooped mids, high gain, and neck pickup on full.

thats what i do anyways to get the sound. if ur technique is right the compression pedal does amazing things.
Quote by INNOCENT VICTIM
buy a bass distortion pedal (they do sell um at guitar center) and drop the tuning

I?m not a mod but I do feel the need to tell you to stop being an ass when you post here. We pride are selves for being a more laid back friendly bored so please no more. Thank you.
M374L

Quote by happytimeharry
This is why I'm proud to be an American. Keep your free health care. We get free boxes...

Quickstrike of the Predacons Beast Wars Club
PM NightmareXT To Join!

Bass Militia's Resident Viking PM jazz_rock_feel
in addition to asmodia's EQ thing:

drop low mids, raise treble, switch to bridge pup, and play agressive.
I'm going to disagree with Asimodai here and say that you should cut your mids and boost the treble fairly high. I think what you're after is the basic punk tone and that eq setting will make it pretty twangy.
^ the matter of high mids is just dependant on how much punch you want in your metal tone.

i'd probly have it dropped if i cut thru well enuff, if not ... well i adjust for the situation.
Quote by Bumper
I'm going to disagree with Asimodai here and say that you should cut your mids and boost the treble fairly high. I think what you're after is the basic punk tone and that eq setting will make it pretty twangy.

Yeah exactly, if anything you should cut the mids.
Musicman Stingray 3EQ
hey disagree all you want but this is what i do on stage if i want to slap but cut right through the mix and be heard. If you play with those settings on your own then the tone sounds horrible, but in a band situation it sounds great.

Alot of people forget, just because the bass sounds great when played by itself, doesant mean it will sound good when it gets to the band situation.

Bassists complain all the time about not being loud enough or not hearing themselves in the mix, Its because your not Eq'ing correctly for being in a band situation, In where you should really boost your mids.
Pedulla MVP5
Gibson Grabber
Warmoth Antigua PJ
Ovation Magnum 1
The strings are maybe a bit dead. If you're not rich enough to replace them just head down to your kitchen, stick them in a pot with some water and boil them for about 5-10 mins, should make the strings sound more metalic.
slammed my penis in the toilet seat when I was 7-8yrs old,when I tried to run away,it got caught and stretched out, now it is huge,and I have the good ol shxtter to thank

Member of the Anti-Hotpunksk8rgirl club. PM X Alkaline 3 to join
Quote by Asomodai
hey disagree all you want but this is what i do on stage if i want to slap but cut right through the mix and be heard. If you play with those settings on your own then the tone sounds horrible, but in a band situation it sounds great.

Alot of people forget, just because the bass sounds great when played by itself, doesant mean it will sound good when it gets to the band situation.

Bassists complain all the time about not being loud enough or not hearing themselves in the mix, Its because your not Eq'ing correctly for being in a band situation, In where you should really boost your mids.

thats my last post, but a lot longer

but yeah, i agree.

just i dont like low mids a lot of the time. probably because my ampeg has way too many natural low mids, and i have a 3 band EQ.... DAM SS AMPEG COMBO
Asomodai is corrent - a lot of people here talk about what they do at home. When you are on stage trying to cut through the kick drum and guitars, it's a completely different story. You need some mid to even get heard out there ! The "metallicy" sound can be exentuated ONLY with the Highs - there is no metalic sound in frequencies under 100Hz, i can assure you!!
^ yeah its just you want some Bass to, unless youre looking for that "total crap" tone :P
ha i guess i am after the total crap tone! Nah joking, i am after the Geddy Lee tone, So alot of mids. Practically all the way up. With bass at 1 oclock and treble at 1 oclock.

Lots of gain from the pre-amp, This way cuts so easily in a band mix.
Pedulla MVP5
Gibson Grabber
Warmoth Antigua PJ
Ovation Magnum 1
Quote by Applehead
Asomodai is corrent - a lot of people here talk about what they do at home. When you are on stage trying to cut through the kick drum and guitars, it's a completely different story. You need some mid to even get heard out there ! The "metallicy" sound can be exentuated ONLY with the Highs - there is no metalic sound in frequencies under 100Hz, i can assure you!!

I'm gonna have to agree here. also not sure if you are after a click-clack type metallic sound but i know Korn's bassist Fieldy uses the Ibanez PD7 Distortion/Overdrive pedal and when not using the overdrive sets it to a clean tone but there's one feature on here that makes more fret noise, making a click clack metallic type sound. just some advice if this is hepful to you
Ibanez SR400
Ampeg BA112
Digitech Whammy WH-4 > Boss NS2 Noise Gate, NS2 Send (Boss GEB7 Bass EQ) NS2 Return > Boss CEB3 Bass Chorus > Ampeg BA112
Quote by rockerc
I'm gonna have to agree here. also not sure if you are after a click-clack type metallic sound but i know Korn's bassist Fieldy uses the Ibanez PD7 Distortion/Overdrive pedal and when not using the overdrive sets it to a clean tone but there's one feature on here that makes more fret noise, making a click clack metallic type sound. just some advice if this is hepful to you

Hell no, listen to Geddy lee, i said i was after a Geddy lee type tone, not a Fieldy tone. Besides slapping and metal generally doesant mix IMO
Pedulla MVP5
Gibson Grabber
Warmoth Antigua PJ
Ovation Magnum 1
bass-4/2, mid-8, high-9, and turn the tone knob(s) all the way up (had same problem)
bananabananabanana terracotta banana terracotta terracotta *pie*

Quote by Bmm386
I think they should make a GTA paris in like 1795.
Your only goal is to feed your family and keep your horse alive.

Quote by I-AM-NOT-GOD
it hit the twin towers, not the pentagon, idiot