I may sound crazy but I think he could be arguably the best songwriter coming out of England. Don't get me wrong, I really really love the Beatles (my favorite band), but I didn't see him in the top 10 of the greatest songwriters alive (Paste magazine). As a matter of fact, he was in the 40s behind U2, Willie Nelson, and Tom Petty. I have a huge respect for those three bands/people I mentioned, but I clearly think he is much better than all of them. He should've been in the top 10.
Sent from my iPad.
I don't think I'd put him in the top 10 for lyrical content, but certainly for overall songwriting I rate him extremely high.
Quote by Mia (Pulp Fiction)
Why do we feel it's necessary to yak about bullsh*t in order to be comfortable?

That's when you know you found somebody special. When you can just shut the f*ck up for a minute, and comfortably share silence.

RateYourMusic
Dirty old river, must you keep rolling
Flowing into the night
People so busy, makes me feel dizzy
Taxi light shines so bright
But I don't need no friends
As long as I gaze on Waterloo sunset
I am in paradise

Every day I look at the world from my window
But chilly, chilly is the evening time
Waterloo sunset's fine

Terry meets Julie, Waterloo Station
Every Friday night
But I am so lazy, don't want to wander
I stay at home at night
But I don't feel afraid
As long as I gaze on Waterloo sunset
I am in paradise

Every day I look at the world from my window
But chilly, chilly is the evening time
Waterloo sunset's fine

Millions of people swarming like flies 'round Waterloo underground
But Terry and Julie cross over the river
Where they feel safe and sound
And they don't need no friends
As long as they gaze on Waterloo sunset
They are in paradise

Waterloo sunset's fine

Well, songs like Waterloo Sunset make me go "man this guy is awesome". If he's one of the best songwriters, he's highly underrated.
Sent from my iPad.
Quote by master
who was in the top ten?

10. Prince
9. Joni Mitchell
8. Elvis Costello
7. Brian Wilson (The Beach Boys)
6. Leonard Cohen
5. Paul McCartney (The Beatles, Wings)
4. Tom Waits & Kathleen Brennan
3. Bruce Springsteen
2. Neil Young (Buffalo Sprinfield, Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young)
1. Bob Dylan

The entire list is here
Sent from my iPad.
Quote by rx_eb
^ that list sucks

so does any list

At least Lou Reed's on it, 21 seems pretty low for Lou though. And should have J.J. Cale, but the whole concept of labelling musicians as the best is a bad idea.

I'll talk about Ray Davies now, because that's what this thread is about. I think Ray is a great singer and songwriter. The Kinks are a damned good band and have released great songs, just not too terribly many of them.
"There's Jimmy Page, one of the biggest thieves of American black music to ever walk the Earth."
The Kinks are freaking awesome. I think Davies is a great songwriter. I like his lyrics a lot
How to achieve Frank Zappa's guitar tone:
Quote by Thefallofman
Step 1: Buy a Gibson SG
Step 2: Insert Green Ringer, EQ, 3 dead squirrels and a microwave into said SG
Step 3: Plug in and freak the **** out.
Quote by ufossuck
At least Lou Reed's on it, 21 seems pretty low for Lou though. And should have J.J. Cale, but the whole concept of labelling musicians as the best is a bad idea.

I'll talk about Ray Davies now, because that's what this thread is about. I think Ray is a great singer and songwriter. The Kinks are a damned good band and have released great songs, just not too terribly many of them.

Yeah Lou's always underrated.
My Spanish Hearts
i've seen him live and he is comin back in July to the paramount theater here in austin. good songwriter...i like celluloid heroes, and who can forget the humurous anecdote about the tranvestite at a local club down in ol' SOHO?
I think that Davies is a great songwriter, but a lot of the reason he doesn't get the respect he deserves is because people have already, basically, "written in stone" the names of the top songwriters of all time.

I mean, when you ask who the greatest lyricist of all time is, you generally hear the names Dylan, Lennon, and Morrison (whether in reference to Jim, or sometimes even to Van).

I think that Davies is a good songwriter as a whole, and his lyrics are decently good, but I've never considered him the best.
I think that ranking is totally pointless because no one is the same - the songwriter or the person ranking them.

Everyone has different tastes and styles, and comparing them to one another isn't accurate in saying someone is better than other, but rather that more people prefer this style to this style.
Quote by TheHeartbreaker
I think that ranking is totally pointless because no one is the same - the songwriter or the person ranking them.

Everyone has different tastes and styles, and comparing them to one another isn't accurate in saying someone is better than other, but rather that more people prefer this style to this style.

SEE "SUBJECTIVE"