Page 1 of 2
if you play with a loud drummer, maybe a 50watt will do it. right now i use a 100watt solidstate, and i never have it above 3 or 4.
If you want to jam in/around Mooresville NC message me.
wattage doesnt gaurantee more volume, a ten watt amp and a 50 watt amp can sometimes go as loud as each other but the 50 will sound better, to measure volume use ohms
om not sure how much you need tho
THe wattage of the amp has to be atleast slightly larger than the diameter of your head.
Ibanez -> Peavey -> Eardrums

Apparently I'm on some list of people to listen to..?
a 50W tube amp is more than enough. maybe twice as much if u have a SS amp
i turn my tube amp up to 3 and can hear it perfectly even when hes just slamming it without even really playing just smashing and its 4o watts
Sorry, i forgot to say before I left last night, not in a gigging suituation, but in a basement jam suituation.
A 50+W solid state amp would work fine. Personally, if you're gonna play with a band (even just jamming), I'd ideally recommend at least an 80-100W SS amp. If going tube, 30W+ should do the trick, although 50W would be ideal for sound.

Quote by sexy-man
wattage doesnt gaurantee more volume, a ten watt amp and a 50 watt amp can sometimes go as loud as each other but the 50 will sound better, to measure volume use ohms

Impedance (ohms) has NOTHING to do with the volume of an amp. Impedance is nothing more but the total resistance and reactance of of the speaker.
Guitars: Custom Lado Earth 2000-3, Custom ESP Explorer, BC Rich KKV, Gibson LP Studio, Greco SG, El Degas Stratocaster, Agile AL-3000, LTD EX-351

Rig:Marshall JVM410H + Marshall 1960A, Boss Noise Suppressor
Depending on the loudness of the drummer, 15 watts tube can often get over a drummer. Perhaps not for loud, high gain styles, but I'm pretty sure for low gain styles, a 15 watter could get over drums.
- Gibson Les Paul Studio
- Squier Standard Strat
- Roland Cube 60
- Visual Sound Jekyll & Hyde
- Boss OD-3
- Behringer EQ700
depends also on whether you're scooping mids. if you are then you're going to need to be louder as you won't have as much body to your guitar.
15w tube can play with a drummer. 30w tube can overpower him. People are stupid when they say "Um, I think 100w tube should be enough." I think a lot of people just go with the big numbers.
primusfan
It's better with no teeth, trust me. Much fewer scars on my penis now that I've switched from seniors in high school to senior citizens.
i can hear myself wiht mi m8 with a 15 watt SS amp, mi lil marhsally, but the microcube got drowned for practisin
Quote by Crunchmeister
Impedance (ohms) has NOTHING to do with the volume of an amp. Impedance is nothing more but the total resistance and reactance of of the speaker.

Right, so wouldn't a speaker that has less resistance to the energy flow coming from the amp have more volume? Ohms have to make some difference or else it would all be uniform.
Hi, I'm Peter
My 15watt Blues Jr at 3/12 overpowers a q loud drummer.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
Quote by Noverion
i can hear myself wiht mi m8 with a 15 watt SS amp, mi lil marhsally, but the microcube got drowned for practisin

dear God I hope youre being sarcastic or something....
^What?
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
If your drummer can't play at your level, get a new drummer.
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
Quote by sexy-man

What? no. Ohms measure the impedance of your speakers. Certain amps require certain impedences. As long as the cab or speaker matches the amp, this doesn't effect volume one bit. If you go above then is lowers your volume.
I used a school amp for a lunch-time gig last month. It was 75 W I believe. Just a single 12" speaker. Someone had broken the channel volume knob off, so it was just barely on (like ~1 out of 10). I had the master volume up all the way, and I could barely hear it right behind me over the drummer. That was obviously a shitty show. But, I think about 50 - 75 W should do the trick just fine.
- FJ

Quote by Landover Baptist Church
If you find [balloons in his bedroom], it is a sign that Satan may have taken your child by the hand and skipped off together to see the movie, Up without your knowledge.

Quote by Dirk Gently
Right, so wouldn't a speaker that has less resistance to the energy flow coming from the amp have more volume? Ohms have to make some difference or else it would all be uniform.

Power amps are designed to match particular speaker loads, usually 4, 8, or 16 ohm. If an amp is made to use an 8 ohm speaker, than THAT'S ALL that should be plugged in. Now, many solid state amps (an example is the Peavey Bandit) will allow you to use the internal 8 ohm speaker for 80W of power, or an external 4 ohm cab / speaker to deliver 100W of power. The amp is designed to do this. That's generally true of any amp. You can use a speaker of lower impedence with fixed impedence amps and get a boost in volume, but unless it's specifically designed to do it, mismatchign impedances will degrade tone. Adding a load of greater impedance than the amp is rated can actually burn out the output transformer. But for the most part, you match the speaker impedance to the amp's rating, and it means nothing in terms of volume.

And if your head has selectable output impedance, then you match the head's setting to the speaker / cab. 100W of tube power pumped thru 4, 8, or 16 ohm cabs will produce the same volume, as long as the impedence is correctly matched on the head. The only thing the end user needs to worry about is to make sure impedances are correctly matched so that the amp's output transformer doesn't get cooked trying to drive a heavier load than it's designed for.

In that sense that sexy-man used it, it's wrong and meaningless. You DO NOT measure volume with ohms.
Guitars: Custom Lado Earth 2000-3, Custom ESP Explorer, BC Rich KKV, Gibson LP Studio, Greco SG, El Degas Stratocaster, Agile AL-3000, LTD EX-351

Last edited by Crunchmeister at Jul 10, 2006,
You really don't need much. I have a 12 watt tube amp and I keep it on 3 and it competes with my drummer. 4 would definetely overpower him.
I shoudl say that my Genz Benz El Diablo on it's 30W setting will murder any drum kit I've played with and I never had the volume past 4.

When I was in a band, i had a loud drummer. Im just curious because if I bought a new amp, and went into another band that had the same thing, I wouldn't want to upgrade. So a Roland Cube 60 would do?
I've played with a drummer in a concrete basement with my Boogie set on 35 watts and didn't have to put the master volume above 2-3.
Hi, I'm Peter
my bandit (80 watts) can match my drums at 3/10, so 50 watts solid state should be plenty loud and 15 watts tube should be good, and remember 100 watts isnt 2 times as loud as 50, its 2 times as loud as 10 watts, and tube watts usually equals 2-3 times as watts as their solid state counterparts, hope you can understand that

also tube amps sound better pushed while solid states sound sh*tty above 7.5 usually
my 40w fender amp will make the loudest drummer cry
i lost my virginity. can i have yours?

Member #18 of the "Use Your Fucking Dictionary Club." PM Dæmönika to join

One nation, under a fictitious almighty power
Quote by Teleprompters
my bandit (80 watts) can match my drums at 3/10, so 50 watts solid state should be plenty loud and 15 watts tube should be good, and remember 100 watts isnt 2 times as loud as 50, its 2 times as loud as 10 watts, and tube watts usually equals 2-3 times as watts as their solid state counterparts, hope you can understand that

also tube amps sound better pushed while solid states sound sh*tty above 7.5 usually

My old Bandit was also easily able to hold its own against drums with the volume at about 3. And you're totally correct. To double the actual volume of any amp, you have to make a power amp 10 times more powerful, since it's on an exponential scale. Doubling the power will only give you 3 dB more volume. And 3 dB is about the smallest increment of volume that the human ear can perceive.

The only thing I disagree with is that ss amps start sounding bad at 7.5 and above. In my experience, only the best ss amps can have the volume pushed above 5 without the power amp clipping and degrading the signal. 6 was about as loud as I could get by Bandit without the signal deteriorating. Then again, there was never any need to crank it that loud, because it would just bury anything else at that volume. With the Marshall MG, the volume past 4 turns the amp into a muddy, buzzy, crackly sound that makes me feel like someone is ramming ice picks in my ears.

But this is why its better to have an obscenely powerful ss amp. You then have massive amounts of headroom so you can crank the volume without breaking up your signal. Sure, a 10W ss amp can sound as loud as drums, but you have to really crank that little sucker to get those volumes, and driven that hard, the tone sucks.

i can hear myself with a 30 watt solid state marshall (or behringer... either one works) over my drummer that's just learned the meaning of "not as loud as possible" in the last few months when it's just above half volume. This is in a very enclosed bedroom... so if you've got 50 watt SS or 15-20 watt tube... that should be more than sufficent volume for your needs.
My 60 watt tube obliterates my drummer
Quote by Skraeling86
That's a lot of booze. Frankly, I'm impressed. You're of a stronger timber than the average man, jimbob! Hail you.

Quote by Bubban
Yes you should go to a doctor, fucking moron. We can't do anything about your hemorrhoid.

I would say two 100w tube half-stacks full bore on each side of his drum set pointing towards him would do nicely
Quote by falcon!!!
if you use a preamp you should stay ok

Come again?
Gear
PRS Standard SE
Laney GH100L with Marhsall 1960BV
Digitech Bad monkey
Marshall EH1
EHX Small stone
EHX Small clone
Quote by Gutch220
I would say two 100w tube half-stacks full bore on each side of his drum set pointing towards him would do nicely

No. 100W tube isn't good for anything. What you would need is 2 Crate Blue Voodoos at full volume with 3 boosters out front.

Back when I had my crappy 30 watt SS amp it was enough to play with a drummer if I turned it up to about 6. It sounded like crap though, and had horrible feedback.

I'd say you'll need 60-80 watts SS to play over a drummer comfortably. Tube you really don't need much. 20-30 watts.
well to match a loud drummer id say 50-60 70 or more to over power him.

i remember when me and some buddies used to have a little garage band. our drummer was so loud you couldnt hear the vocals clearly or anything else for that matter so just to spite him i brought my marshall mf-350 halfstack over the next time which pumps out 350 watts through onth the head and 400 in the cab. i turned it all the way up he couldnt hear right for 3 days and he was wearing ear plugs we also got a 100 doller fine from the cops for disturbing the peace.

so i wouldnt go any higher that 100 watts to over power a loud drummer (if you want to be able to hear correctly)
Page 1 of 2