Is it possible to rewire my avt cabinet to 4 ohms so that the head is running all 150watts? It is an 8ohm cabinet wired in series/parallel (i believe, correct me if I'm wrong, which I very well may be). There are 4 8ohm speakers. Is it possible to rewire this to be a 4ohm cabinet?
how many speakers in your cab? What is the Ohmage of each speaker...

Then we can use Ohms law equations to calculate

R(total) = R1 + R2 (in series)

1/R(total) = 1/R1 + 1/R2 (in parallell)

Edit: Pm me if you need some help still
Quote by jcwear
how many speakers in your cab? What is the Ohmage of each speaker...

Then we can use Ohms law equations to calculate

R(total) = R1 + R2 (in series)

1/R(total) = 1/R1 + 1/R2 (in parallell)

Edit: Pm me if you need some help still

His post says 4 8 ohm speakers.

to threadstarter. No its impossible. If your set on it you can rewire the cab to only use two of the speakers present.

Wite them in parallel for this.
You can rewire it to 3.2 ohms. It's fairly close to 4ohms. You'll experience about a 5-10% drop in output.

Wire 2-8 ohm speakers in parallel, and 2-8 ohm speakers in series. You'll have a 4 ohm load and a 16 ohm load. You can go ahead and use the 2 speakers in 4 ohm as is, you'll get use of only half the cab, but you'll have 4 ohms. If you want to use all 4 and get the 5-10% drop in output, go ahead and wire the 2 pairs (the 4ohm set and the 16ohm set) in parallel. You'll get 3.2 ohms.
Tbh If you want voulme just save up and get another cab. Or get some 16ohm speakers and wire 2 pairs of parallel speakers to make 8 ohms each then if your head has 2 outputs plug one into each of the pairs of speakers to get 4 ohm.
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
Last edited by eddiehimself at Jul 10, 2006,
i heard something about using a marshall 1960's stereo cab????
^Your point?
I'm not very active here on UG currently.
I'm a retired Supermod off to the greener pastures of the real world.
I think he means using a 2X8ohm cab to get 4ohms. There are loads of cabs out there which do that.
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
Quote by greenbox
You can rewire it to 3.2 ohms. It's fairly close to 4ohms. You'll experience about a 5-10% drop in output.

Wire 2-8 ohm speakers in parallel, and 2-8 ohm speakers in series. You'll have a 4 ohm load and a 16 ohm load. You can go ahead and use the 2 speakers in 4 ohm as is, you'll get use of only half the cab, but you'll have 4 ohms. If you want to use all 4 and get the 5-10% drop in output, go ahead and wire the 2 pairs (the 4ohm set and the 16ohm set) in parallel. You'll get 3.2 ohms.

doesn't the unbalanced impedance between the two speakerpairs cause any problems?

doesn't the the 4ohm pair consume 4 times more power then the 16 ohm pair??
No it means you get 4X more volume with the same power.
EH

If you put four high wattage 8 ohm resistors in series with each 8 ohm speaker and then wired them in parallel you will get 4 ohms.
G&L L2500
Squier Affinity Jazz Bass 5
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
Ashdown Little Giant 1000
300 watt 15" powered cab
450 watt 15" powered sub bass cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
Quote by greenbox

sorry to correct a absolute genious like greenbox but im pretty sure that at 3.2 ohms you will get more power than at 4 ohms because your idea has less resistance than 4 ohms, im not sure because greenbox really knows his stuff maby he is just tired or something.......
You lose power when you mismatch impedances, either higher or lower.
Check out my handy dandy graph:

oh ok i figured you were right, feew hell hasnt frosen over. but you chart isnt showing up.
edit: ok it works now
Quote by John Swift
If you put four high wattage 8 ohm resistors in series with each 8 ohm speaker and then wired them in parallel you will get 4 ohms.

were can i get these so called high wattage 8 ohm resistors????
Quote by SG88
were can i get these so called high wattage 8 ohm resistors????

don't do it, these resisters will consume as mutch power as your speakers. so you lose 50% power on expensive resistors. better get a second cab then