I'm tryin' to get into a heavy local band, and I was wondering if anyone knew any tips that might help my sounds out... and I was also wondering if y'all had anything that would help me get a little faster with my finger movement. Thanks dudes.
"Being sober on a bus is completly different that bein' drunk on a bus"- Ozzy

My lyrics
practice of course
Quote by Vindication
Really? If you spill liquids on electronic devices, it messes them up?!

Enlighten us with your wisdom more, O grand and all-knowing BoomerSoooner!

Quote by CanadaHckyDude
kill her...that'll set you free

not sure
Ha, duh, but I'm not a genious at tuning, and I was wondering if like drop C would work or B or what.

My lyrics
does your thumb hang over the top of the fretboard? if it does, then have it at the back of the neck, lined up with your middle finger.

you could also try to use all four fretting fingers more if you don't usually do so.
Thanks, do you know if there is any like good tone settings.. like drop C.. and if so, how do I tone it like that?

My lyrics
you mean tune, I assume.

D standard is all strings down a tone, which means that fretting the second fret would be the same as what the string is normally tuned to at open. Drop c is like that but the lowest string is at 4th fret= normal tuning open
Bass in heavy bands doesn't really need to sound relatively heavy, a standard growly tone (achieved by raising bass and treble EQs to about 7) will do you well in a metal band supposing you don't want to take a leading bass role, and by the sounds of it you haven't been playing long so I doubt it. Drop C tuning will help you get to those lower notes - obviously, but you will be compromising the playability of the bass unless you invest in a heavier gauge of strings.
Musicman Stingray 3EQ
light distortion usually helps a little bit
Cort lover of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join.
On cheating in a relationship...

Quote by metaldud536
If he doesn't use a gameshark, it's not cheating.

I'm a non-regular regular old user.
Try using a pick, and play as close to the neck as possible ( wherre the string is quite loose), i i used to do that alot until i started using my fingers.

^^^^^^LOL, try effects pedals....^^^^^^^

EDIT: Use picks forfast stuff, then use fngers for low tone which keepsthe structre together. Ermmm different sizes picks aswell.
Quote by IndianRockStar
The bass SHOULD cover the bottom end at the very least.

70's MOD Jazz->
BOSS LMB-3->
Hartke HA3500->
GENZ-BENZ NEOx 2x12->
Last edited by pandathe3 at Jul 10, 2006,
You don't have to droptune to be heavy. Lots of heavy bands play in standard. As far as fret hand movement just keep your thumb in the middle of the neck so you can spread your fingers farther apart. The EQ setting I use for my band (metalcore) is usually mids at 12 o'clock, bass at 12 o'clock, and treble at about 3 o'clock.
^I agree with that guy, don't downtune unless the band downtunes as well.

Try steel strings, they tend to give a growlier tone.
i use a boss mega-distortion MD-2 and drop B tuning, thts B F# B E G# C#
just beef up ur string guage to .11 i use, but then i have a locking trem so if u dont u might be able to get away with .10's
my guitar is an ibanez rg550 and my amp is a Traynor (its old but sounds so heavy..probably due to valves)
so yeah just learn some heavy songs and ur away
Quote by --Larry--
i use a boss mega-distortion MD-2 and drop B tuning, thts B F# B E G# C#
just beef up ur string guage to .11 i use, but then i have a locking trem so if u dont u might be able to get away with .10's
my guitar is an ibanez rg550 and my amp is a Traynor (its old but sounds so heavy..probably due to valves)
so yeah just learn some heavy songs and ur away

Wrong forum buddy. You're look'in for the guitar heads forum.

Apparently this made the front page.
Tune down like was said but also, I say get an MXR M-80. It has a nice EQ that you can get good Mids and some great Bass with. I just joined a metal band(that's what we're going for) and that gives me the twang and rumble I want.
TRANSFIXUS SED NON MORTUUS