Hey guys/girls just aftera couple of opinions. Ive been playing guitar for about 2 years now (pick it up occassonally and strum some tunes). I have nevr really dedicated myself to it and had formal lessons from a teacher for oly a couple of months. Im at a point know where i want to learn more about the guitar (scales, theory, **** like that.) I want to know is it best to have a teacher or are there decent books you can learn from. Problem is i live in county and is hard to find a teacher. I believ i have the dedicaion to move further know, so what do you guys think. Are there any books you can reccomend or anything.
A teacher would be your best bet.

As far as books go, John Petrucci's Rock Discipline book totally kicks ass in all areas. I've read in interviews many times that guitarists use it as a warm-up before shows.

ChopsFromHell.com has some great instructionals in all areas, as well as the CFH instructionals themselves.

And of course this site.
Teacher all the way, make sure you have a teacher with a music degree though, not just someone whos pretty good. My fav quote i've read on UG is

"If everyone could get amazing from simply looking up tabs on he internet, we would have a million Vai's"
50th Anniversary American Deluxe Strat 3-tone Sunburst
Crate XT120r Amp
Epiphone Valve Jr. w/ Jensen P8r
Boss DS1
Digitech RP300 MultiFX
You could try to get a teacher.

UG has a lot of good theory lessons. You just have to take some time out and research them.
Most of the important things

in the world have been accomplished

by people who have kept on

trying when there seemed to be no hope at all
You could go either way and be fine, but with a Teacher you will excel faster, where as with a book or video your progress will be hindered a little as you will not always have someone there to help with any questions you may have.
Quote by Shredlet
Cheers Sinister that was really helpful a Dime-point to you!

"Any problem you can't solve with a good guitar, is either, unsolvable or isn't a problem."
Silly sinister....Thats why we have forums! lol. But anyways to get back on topic, teachers help u learn faster..for me atleast. They show u the propter technique or else you would downpick all the time rather than alternate picking..(it was an example but..understand?)
Yeah I'd definitely get a teacher. I wouldn't have progressed as fast or as well as I have if I didn't have my teacher.

Quote by Revan
Teacher all the way, make sure you have a teacher with a music degree though, not just someone whos pretty good.

That's not necessarily true. My guitar teacher hasn't got any degrees, and has never done any sort of exams to prove how good he is on his guitar, but he is fuc*ing awesome, as he's got 14 years of experience under his belt. He knows exactly where to start off with beginners and he's a really great guy.
I hope it doesn't seem, like I'm young, foolish, and green.
Let me in for a minute, you're not my life but I want you in it

O Dayya, te echaré de menos, siempre

Y siempre
Y para siempre
^oh yeah, there will always be exceptions, but when your starting out I doubt you will know what to look for in a teacher and a degree will simply tell you that he will do the trick
Crate XT120r Amp
Boss DS1
Digitech RP300 MultiFX
Quote by Revan
^oh yeah, there will always be exceptions, but when your starting out I doubt you will know what to look for in a teacher and a degree will simply tell you that he will do the trick

Oh yeah, good point. Should've thought of that.
I hope it doesn't seem, like I'm young, foolish, and green.
Let me in for a minute, you're not my life but I want you in it

O Dayya, te echaré de menos, siempre

Y siempre
Y para siempre
Quote by GANGAS23
Hey guys/girls just aftera couple of opinions. Ive been playing guitar for about 2 years now (pick it up occassonally and strum some tunes). I have nevr really dedicated myself to it and had formal lessons from a teacher for oly a couple of months. Im at a point know where i want to learn more about the guitar (scales, theory, **** like that.) I want to know is it best to have a teacher or are there decent books you can learn from. Problem is i live in county and is hard to find a teacher. I believ i have the dedicaion to move further know, so what do you guys think. Are there any books you can reccomend or anything.

i learned from a series of pamflets called the metal method written by randy rhoads before he died. it is no longer printed its from like the 80s and teaches you everything from gow to hold a pick to how to write your own song and solo and remember every note.

if you can find a copy of them its gonna cost you a hefty penny but its worth everything i have all of them they wer egiven to me by my uncle who tought himself to play with them and i tought myself to play with them.
ive been playing for nearly a year, i dont have a teacher because..well im really independent and i had a teacher a few years ago that put me off guitar, and i dont want to risk that again, i guess its just depends on what kinda person u are
There is so much help available now..guitar pro, dvd's etc, but you have to be very self disciplined to cover everything like a teacher would.
Maybe now there is too many options..15 years ago i studied one thing intensely because tab books were expensive and you didnt have the internet or guitar pro ('when i was a lad, da da da')
Would I waste my money for a teacher to teach me lessons....

....since I only want to learn how to play the guitar so I can play the songs I like. You know, just for fun. Anyone here in the same position as me? Just want to learn so you can play the songs you like ?
my guitar teacher has played for 30 years and can figure out any song just by listening to it..hes got like a perfect ear its badass but yeah that is definitely the exception as far as teachers go.

There a million good guitarists, but much fewer good teachers
Fender American Strat --> Vox Crybaby --> Keeley Rat --> Marshall AVT 100
for just learning songs..i really doubt you'll need a teacher, just research some vids and lessons online to make sure your techniques are alright, but i dont think it's worth the money if all your going to do with the teacher is do tabs....

but i love my teacher, because he likes good music. He (like jcphockey) mentioned can do anything by ear and stuff like that's always helpful. and he's teaching me some theroy, as well as going indeph with acoustic guitar, even tho i mainly play electric it's always nice to konw what your doing acoustic as well
Just do what im going to do. Get a teacher just to learn the basics (so you dont start of with bad habbits) and then go on your own after a few lessons.
Is it any good going to a teacher after a year of self-teaching. Because that's what I'm planning to do.
I'm in the 'Australia FTW' Club. Join

Hi
no, your going to start with bad habits and get yourself moving the wrong direction, at least take group lessons for a month or so then you can self learn for awhile.
Crate XT120r Amp
Boss DS1
Digitech RP300 MultiFX
Quote by Revan
no, your going to start with bad habits and get yourself moving the wrong direction, at least take group lessons for a month or so then you can self learn for awhile.